? servers

? players online

Chat order plugin

• Content Count:  625

Was wondering if we could implement a plugin similar to what was mentioned in this thread. I think it's a great idea since there are usually problems that arise in cases of chat orders not being seen because of things flooding chat and/or people not noticing chat orders are given.

The idea is to implement a command such as !o [message] that will classify as a "chat order" and would display in a special format in chat and will pop up in the alert box on your screen. This will be very similar to when someone gives a chat order in !fo, but will be done during the round and will have all the same properties as the current chat orders; the only difference is it will be easier to see and will prevent the abuse of chat orders confusing everyone.

For example, you could type !o All Ts Freeze and it would display:

- [Order] Name : All Ts Freeze in chat and/or

- All Ts Freeze in the alert box

I think to adapt this idea to our current JB server the command should only be used every 15 seconds, because:

• CTs are only allowed to give the off-mic order for 15 seconds at a time. This should only be used when they’re attempting to give an order, but the Ts are being too loud to do so.

I think this rule is outdated because some CTs don't use mics and shouldn't have to need one, so the second part doesn't make much sense.

Back to the topic, I think that having a command that allows you to give a chat order that displays in the gray alert box every 15 seconds will help with all the confusion of chat orders; we can also make it so that chat orders are only valid using this command, so there are less conflicts, etc. The same rule applies where if there are orders being given in voice chat, chat orders are inferior, and abuse of this command can be monitored by admins similar to the !fo command.

Not sure why the other thread ended on such a weird note but I guess the idea was just scrapped

• Like 5
Edited by splayd

• Content Count:  1030

I actually quite like this idea. This would allow chat orders to be seen by all as if they were a hud message, just like it is in first order. This is useful for CTs that don't have mics and want to still give orders. I do have a couple of questions about how this would be implemented though.

How would this be monitored/enforced? Would it be the same as first order, where it's punishable if people use the command to say like "!o Vanya sucks" or something that isn't an order? Also, would this mean that chat orders would be invalid?

If there was a cooldown, that would mean that abrupt order changes wouldn't be possible. For example if a CT orders everyone to soccer, but there are guns there, they would have to wait fifteen seconds to redirect the Ts or tell them to freeze. I do agree that a cooldown probably is necessary to avoid spam orders or crowding, but I feel as though a different cooldown length may be better. Also, would this be a server-wide cooldown or just an individual cooldown?

Some of these questions are very knitpicky, but overall I do think that this idea, if it could be implemented, would help people like @20 scrolls out a lot.

• Like 1

I actually quite like this idea. This would allow chat orders to be seen by all as if they were a hud message, just like it is in first order. This is useful for CTs that don't have mics and want to still give orders. I do have a couple of questions about how this would be implemented though.

How would this be monitored/enforced? Would it be the same as first order, where it's punishable if people use the command to say like "!o Vanya sucks" or something that isn't an order? Also, would this mean that chat orders would be invalid?

If there was a cooldown, that would mean that abrupt order changes wouldn't be possible. For example if a CT orders everyone to soccer, but there are guns there, they would have to wait fifteen seconds to redirect the Ts or tell them to freeze. I do agree that a cooldown probably is necessary to avoid spam orders or crowding, but I feel as though a different cooldown length may be better. Also, would this be a server-wide cooldown or just an individual cooldown?

Some of these questions are very knitpicky, but overall I do think that this idea, if it could be implemented, would help people like @20 scrolls out a lot.

To answer your first question, basically the same as !fo, no unreasonable orders and no abuse of the command. FDs should be allowed though in normal orders.

To answer your second question, I did state that chat orders would be invalid unless you use this command, which would make it a lot less confusing to discern if it is an actual order or not, simply just giving an order without using this command would be invalid. As of now, people can say certain things in chat that could be taken as an order and it would confuse both the CT and T teams, especially if people start screaming stuff like "read chat" when it says "go to armory" in chat, where it could be interpreted as an actual order instead of a command one guard is telling another.

To answer your question about the cooldown, it really is up to the managers. I think the order "freeze" should be an exception, but I'm not sure how it would be implemented. The cooldown should be server-wide to prevent too many orders going on at once, and to prevent conflicts in chat orders.

• Like 1
Edited by splayd

• Content Count:  417

here's my problem with this: voice overrides chat, but as soon as you begin putting alerts and other things it begins to blend the line. Allowing non-mic CTs to give orders is always a benefit for the server, but giving them alerts, similar to !fo, will generally confuse things. If scrolls gives an !o order while vanya gives a voice order players will definitely be confused as they do an order that could possibly conflict with orders shown on screen.

• Content Count:  459

I like the idea overall but like @RemixedPixel said it could cause a lot of confusion by having one voice order and one chat order going on at the same time. And if it's like fo and shows up on screen it could conflict other orders being given. Not sure how this would work? Another problem I see is abuse of this command especially if its 1 chat order every 15 seconds. If someone abuses it so others can't use it I'm guessing it would be punishable by admins but maybe lower the time between chat orders to 10 at the least to remove some of the down time if someone is actually abusing it, So other CTs can use it without having to wait too long?

sorry if I misunderstood or the text is a little funky but i'm not on my PC and am writing on phone

• Like 2
Edited by Astral
misunderstood voice override chat

• Content Count:  209

here's my problem with this: voice overrides chat, but as soon as you begin putting alerts and other things it begins to blend the line. Allowing non-mic CTs to give orders is always a benefit for the server, but giving them alerts, similar to !fo, will generally confuse things. If scrolls gives an !o order while vanya gives a voice order players will definitely be confused as they do an order that could possibly conflict with orders shown on screen.

This is the main why I feel this is too much, people already get confused without alerts. Adding more alerts will just be more confusing to both cts and ts.

• Content Count:  3294

The voice order would override the chat order, the guard on mic would say, "Order revoked" or simply continue giving their order. There'd be simply no confusion

I like the idea overall but like @RemixedPixel said it could cause a lot of confusion by having one voice order and one chat order going on at the same time. And if it's like fo and shows up on screen it could conflict other orders being given. Also a thing I want to bring up, the fact that voice orders override chat orders. This could still be a thing like what @TheZZL said but, it would be tough keeping it considering its supposed to be an alternative way CTs can give orders. Not sure how this would work?

This is already a thing, chat orders are already able to be overridden by voice orders to stop confusion.

• Like 1
Edited by TheZZL

Voice still overrides chat in this situation like @TheZZL said, the only thing this would be changing is how chat orders are delivered and a better system to keep track of orders.

People abusing this plugin could always be subject to punishment just like abusing !fo as well.

I also don't think people will get confused with alerts because it will let both teams know there is a chat order so conflictions don't happen, I don't see how defining what is an order and what isn't makes things confusing. The only time someone would talk over a chat order would either be revoking the chat order or not seeing it, and allowing alerts would mean the CT team would actually notice the orders and cause less confusion, that way, the only situations where voice would override chat would be to revoke a bad order or a CT being a dick, both which we can't solve.

If you guys are so against the alert idea we could just do without, because a noticable format for chat orders that I had suggested in the original post will definitely be more recognizable and clear than what we have now.

Edited by splayd

• Content Count:  971

CONTROVERSIAL OPINION

Please stop. Chat orders should've been snapped an eternity ago. The only people I see using chat orders are usually doing it to get easy kills because they know no one pays attention to chat and orders get covered up by all the other vapid garbage people spam in chat.

What's worse is how people justify chat orders by saying "ohh what if they dont have/can't afford a mic?" like who the fuck is an avid gamer and doesn't have a microphone. It's 2020; 99% of people who avidly play games (especially a competitive team based one) have a microphone. Don't use the poor argument cuz I know for DAMN SURE little timmy can afford a microphone if he has a headset to hear sound and a PC to handle a modern game at ~30-60 fps.

People like Tagwrack and 20scrolls are in the tiny, tiny minority. I like and respect them as people but it's not fair to borderline abuse chat orders in the broken state they're in because you're insecure about your own voice on a computer game, or whatever the reason may be.

Chat orders shouldn't even be allowed in my opinion.

• Like 3

Reply to Thread