? servers

? players online

Chat order plugin

• Content Count:  625

CONTROVERSIAL OPINION

Please stop. Chat orders should've been snapped an eternity ago. The only people I see using chat orders are usually doing it to get easy kills because they know no one pays attention to chat and orders get covered up by all the other vapid garbage people spam in chat.

What's worse is how people justify chat orders by saying "ohh what if they dont have/can't afford a mic?" like who the fuck is an avid gamer and doesn't have a microphone. It's 2020; 99% of people who avidly play games (especially a competitive team based one) have a microphone. Don't use the poor argument cuz I know for DAMN SURE little timmy can afford a microphone if he has a headset to hear sound and a PC to handle a modern game at ~30-60 fps.

People like Tagwrack and 20scrolls are in the tiny, tiny minority. I like and respect them as people but it's not fair to borderline abuse chat orders in the broken state they're in because you're insecure about your own voice on a computer game, or whatever the reason may be.

Chat orders shouldn't even be allowed in my opinion.

I understand where you're coming from and chat orders may be stupid but there are a lot of players who play CT and are mic-less. I don't think we should force people to use their mics if they're not comfortable using them and/or don't have a mic. If you were an 8 year old prepubescent boy would you want to be forced to use your mic all the time knowing the server's just going to hate you for your squeaky voice and annoying tone?

Chat orders being allowed helps in certain predicaments that a voice order only server wouldn't help with. Things such as:

- Ts getting chaotic so no orders can be heard (since we don't have a warden system so we can't force them to shut up)

- Last CT(s) not having mics and then being unable to give orders

We shouldn't be forcing people off CT for not using their mics so I don't think chat orders can be eliminated, no matter how frustrating they are. The abuse of chat orders in their "broken state" can be fixed in my opinion by the implementation of a plugin such as this, so we don't force people off the server and it will be a lot less problems arising from them that you have mentioned. People have different reasons why they aren't using their mics and those reasons shouldn't be seen as invalid.

• Content Count:  971

I am eternally grateful for being essentially forced to communicate in voice chat in a game that requires voice comms when I was a squeaker. If people never told me to shut the fuck up and that what I say and how I say it gets on their nerves, I would be even more ranty than I am now. I've seen it with dozens of new kids joining the server who just talk for the sake of talking; IT'S JUST ANNOYING. It may seem cruel when the whole server tells them to shut their mouths but for me it was the wake up call I needed to become self aware.

But that's besides the point; and chaotic situations in voice comms? Bro, !votetmute. If CT's are constantly conflicting each other 9 times out of 10 an admin just mutes the whole lobby, tells everyone to chill, then unmutes people slowly until the problem is gone. Works pretty well from what I've seen; not to mention comparing crowded voice comms to chat comms is silly considering we all know chat is spammed FAR more than mics are.

And "We shouldn't be forcing people off CT for not using their mics so I don't think chat orders can be eliminated, no matter how frustrating they are.". Bro is this kindergarten? I don't care about your insecurities, it's a computer game. Grow some thicker skin if it means not ruining the experience for the entire T side.

CT's should be required to have mics. End of story. It doesn't make sense for all CT's to have equal power in the rule books but if different CT's have different means of communication, the power shifts. It's nonsensical.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  927

I'm just going to give my two cents on the idea of a chat order plugin in general, not for this specific one. I don't think a chat order plugin should be implemented. The system we have now is fine when it comes to voice and chat orders. Chat orders are allowed and anyone who does a voice order can cancel the last one. Also, we have a fine balance of players who use mics and those who don't. Just because someone doesn't have a mic or doesn't want to use one doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed to give orders. The way I look at chat orders is this: If you want to use chat orders, you can. But don't get mad when someone with a microphone takes over and gives a different order. A CT with a mic makes the game easier, so I find it fair that their order overrides a chat order. Lastly, I really don't see any game-changing benefits to this. I'm not even sure how much work/time it would be for the TT.

Side note, if you can't quickly look in chat to see if there's a chat order, I don't think the chat order is the problem.

CT's should be required to have mics. End of story. It doesn't make sense for all CT's to have equal power in the rule books but if different CT's have different means of communication, the power shifts. It's nonsensical.

This would never happen, nor does it make sense. I understand your frustration with players who don't have mics/won't use them, but it is what it is. Just gotta pay attention to what's being said in chat or voice. Would it be easier for everything to be done over voice? 100%. But there is no "power shift". I don't even know what you mean that.

• Like 5
Edited by Chad

• Content Count:  1559

Like some said I don't feel a chat order plugin (even though I use chat) would be a good idea. I like the feel that our JB server gives of just being raw with not alot if plugins, being able to just use chat just feels more comfortable and is easier.

If you want a easier way to give chat orders you can just use binds to give an order in chat.

• Content Count:  971

Power shift; as in CT's have different levels of power based on how they communicate orders. And wishing upon a star that humans would be better is a terrible solution; as in hoping the average JB player would even pay attention to chat orders; most don't and never will.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  3294

Just wanted to give this a quick bump, gather some thoughts on it and see if the managers were interested in this again or not. Rejected here, but is a poor reason as it doesn't apply for !fo (Person can speak multiple times screwing the /csay) and chat can be flooded by conversation, radio, and ads.

• Content Count:  85

15 hours ago, TheZZL said:

Just wanted to give this a quick bump, gather some thoughts on it and see if the managers were interested in this again or not.

I mean we get a lot of new players and most of them would get confused with this. It would remove some issues we have with current chat orders, but at the same time it would bring new issues (Most of which have been mentioned in the past). In theory it's a good idea, but as a jb player I don't know if it would actually work and some rules may need to be added/changed to accommodate it.

I know I don't really have any power, but just wanted to give my honest opinion.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  3294

On 8/7/2020 at 3:39 PM, dafty said:

The only people I see using chat orders are usually doing it to get easy kills because they know no one pays attention to chat and orders get covered up by all the other vapid garbage people spam in chat.

who the fuck is an avid gamer and doesn't have a microphone. It's 2020; 99% of people who avidly play games (especially a competitive team based one) have a microphone. Don't use the poor argument cuz I know for DAMN SURE little timmy can afford a microphone if he has a headset to hear sound and a PC to handle a modern game at ~30-60 fps.

People like Tagwrack and 20scrolls are in the tiny, tiny minority. I like and respect them as people but it's not fair to borderline abuse chat orders in the broken state they're in because you're insecure about your own voice on a computer game, or whatever the reason may be.

While aggressive, @dafty hit the nail on the head here when addressing the problem. We would never want to disallow chat orders for those who actually do not have a microphone, but they create a big problem when chat is being flooded or people are anticipating a voice order while not looking at chat. The best solution to this problem comes at a admin-regular level, repeating chat orders if you have a microphone, overriding poor quality chat orders, and encouraging friends to use their mics. 

For all the reasons mentioned, we will be rejecting this idea.

On 8/7/2020 at 12:37 PM, splayd said:

• CTs are only allowed to give the off-mic order for 15 seconds at a time. This should only be used when they’re attempting to give an order, but the Ts are being too loud to do so.

I think this rule is outdated because some CTs don't use mics and shouldn't have to need one, so the second part doesn't make much sense.

The game is meant to be played with microphones, so when it's high-pop or there's a loud conversation going on this order comes in handy. Being able to give orders in chat is a privilege stripped away from Guards on other servers, I wish some of our Guards would realize this. 

• Like 1

Reply to Thread