? servers

? players online

Racism

• Content Count:  590

Obviously we've all moved to discord and I just want to know what you guys want to do with racism. If you're listening to a rap song most likely restricted words will be used. Are you guys going to allow it only in private channels or all VC's? I know Tango has a system where it's only private channels and one public channel where racism is allowed.

• Like 8
Edited by duffy

• Content Count:  555

all vcs

all words are just words to me

I don't think that's the mentality they are going for. Especially since they are trying to be taken professionally, allowing words that others might find offensive is probably not the right move.

• Like 3

• Content Count:  73

I don't think that's the mentality they are going for. Especially since they are trying to be taken professionally, allowing words that others might find offensive is probably not the right move.

You could have a bot that asks you if you are ok with swears, racism etc ad if they choose no they get the regular vcs but if they choose yes then they get some other vcs where racism, swears is allowed

• Content Count:  590

You could have a bot that asks you if you are ok with swears, racism etc ad if they choose no they get the regular vcs but if they choose yes then they get some other vcs where racism, swears is allowed

I'm not going to speak for the board here, but I believe they don't want racism because when you open those doors your server pretty much just becomes filled with it. It ruins any opportunity for potential sponsors and looks bad altogether from the outside looking in.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  1253

I think having it only in private voice channels or even making an 18+ consent music channel/NSFW channel just dedicated for explicit music would be the best option, they did say we’ve fallen so far behind other communities in terms of professionalism so I think that’s the main reason as to why we switched to Discord. There is also a rule in place about saying certain racial slurs in a thread and front my understanding it’s definitely not allowed in public channels. Here is the thread for reference https://www.steam-gamers.net/forum/showthread.php?t=96174

• Content Count:  4798

If you want to play the game of professionalism and attract (reputable) sponsors then officially condoning any casual racism is a big no no. Here's hoping for a post from the BDs on what they want the community to be exactly and what kind of demographic do we want to appeal to.

Edit: to be clear though, most actual rap songs are not racist, just follow context.

• Like 2
Edited by SilentGuns

• Content Count:  729

as I remember one of the higher up says that its okay because its a rap/songs/music. as long as theres no hatred word being made towards anyone then its fine.

• Content Count:  3299

Quoting Prez from the racism sticky in the rules subforum since this conversation gets brought up at SG more than you'd expect

We are not strictly zero-tolerance at SG, but our goal is to ensure that people understand that intentional racism (direct or implied) will not be tolerated and our staff will be kept to the same standard. We won't likely ever make a list of words that are considered "implying racism", like ape, monkey, gorilla, etc. because it could theoretically include any term that people replace it with. It's kind of hard/stupid to do that when people could start saying "you dumb melon" when they're really implying that melon is in place of a racist term, lol. So the only way that we can explain it is like the above - based on the context, if it is pretty clear that you are implying racism or using a term in place of a racist word (i.e. it's easy to tell what you're referring to), then we will take the appropriate action.

Reply to Thread