? servers

? players online

Pokemon Showdown Tournament

• Content Count:  417

I initially pitched this to Kieran, who said something along the lines of "No tournaments until SGSL is over", but I wanted to get everyone else's opinion.

Pokemon Showdown is a Pokemon battle simulator which allows players to create team compositions without grinding for EVs and IVs and Eevees to make the perfect team. There was one done in the past by Senpai here, but since then there has been a new generation and some changes. The game itself is free online or downloadable here.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  1030

I would definitely be down to run something like this, although since never really been a big fan of Pokémon in general, and I don't really know how it would work. Would the tournament be single elimination, will there be brackets?

Also, I don't really know how many people would be interested in this either.

• Content Count:  922

I would definitely be down to run something like this, although since never really been a big fan of Pokémon in general, and I don't really know how it would work. Would the tournament be single elimination, will there be brackets?

Also, I don't really know how many people would be interested in this either.

I could help you with how the gameplay will roll out, as for the tournament style, that's up to you.

• Like 1

@RemixedPixel how long would this tournament take to run, and what are the minimum amount of players required to start and complete a successful tournament? There are currently a lot of events going on right now and in the near future, and with the presence of SGSL like Kieran said this tournament might have to wait until after SGSL.

In comparison to the previous tournament, I propose the Uber battle format, or we could vote on a format like last time. I would say a successful tournament would be at least 16 signups, which would allow for a single elim Ro16 bracket for the tourney. Obviously if more than 16 sign up there would be space for more but I think during SGSL, 16 competitors would be reasonable.

In comparison to the previous tournament, I propose the Uber battle format, or we could vote on a format like last time. I would say a successful tournament would be at least 16 signups, which would allow for a single elim Ro16 bracket for the tourney. Obviously if more than 16 sign up there would be space for more but I think during SGSL, 16 competitors would be reasonable.

Would the tournament be able to be completed in the span of 1-2 hours, or would it require multiple days of participation?

Well, a typical 6v6 uber match has a 20 min maximum match length. If we go one at a time for a Ro16 bracket, that leads to 8+4+2+1 matches, that being 15*20 mins = 5 hours if everyone plays the maximum length of time. If we do, say, 4 matches at a time for the Ro16, and then 2 at a time for quarters, and 1 at a time for semis and finals, then that is 2+2+2+1 matches, that being 7*20 = just over 2 hours if everyone plays again for the maximum amount of time.

• Content Count:  922

I propose we should poll, either the 1v1 format or the Uber format, or both,

1v1: allows 3 mons max per team, 1v1: is u choose 1 pokemon from your team of 3 and u have a 1v1, no pokemon switches

Uber: allows 6 mons max per team, Uber: is normal Pokemon battles and u have some moves and abilities and items and pokemon that are restricted

if it's only the 1v1 format, it could go the whole tourney, no problems

if it's only the Ubers format, it should go with the matches being 3v3, 3 mons per team only, then 6 mons for semi-finals and finals

if it's both, then i propose it goes like this: 1v1 format, 3v3 ubers for Semi-finals, and Finals is 6v6 ubers

sound good?

Reply to Thread