? servers

? players online

I am confusion. (Car question)

• Content Count:  484

So I'm looking at cars to buy and I found a "2012" Mustang V6 with 70k miles for $7,450 (USD) which is a low price. But, the thing is, I was looking at the pictures of the car and 1) it's a manual which is gonna bring down the price because where I live no one drives manual, and 2) it's actually either a 2013 or 2014. I could tell because the of bumper: the licence plate holder place thing is different on 2013/14 models from the 2012, and also a little hole under the lights on the front of the car is different as well. So, I was wondering, how should I proceed to talk to the guy? He doesn't really know what he has I guess, and to be fair, he could have bought the 2013/14 front and rear bumpers by mistake and put it on but I kinda doubt it cause the carfax says it has no accidents and I doubt someone wouldn't report two accidents especially when it caused the bumpers to get replaced. So, should I just negotiate like its a 2012 and hope when he does the paperwork he won't realize it's a 2013/14? or should I just mention that it's actually a 2013 and act like a smartass mustang enthusiast and tell him his car is not worth as much as he says?

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.

• Content Count:  2693

That thing is waaaaay below the average price for those things. Something doesn't sound right with the info you provided. I'd avoid it, personally. You can find something else that's just as great for $7.5k and I wouldn't spend money on a V6 Mustang. It would be great if you could provide pictures.

• Content Count:  1583

Carfax data is compiled for reports matching the VIN number. Whatever the Carfax says the model is is most likely right. If you're still doubting it, ask him to check the VIN for you and you can look it up yourself. I don't know a whole lot about mustangs, but I'm the JDM scene, a lot of people will swap bumpers and other parts for whatever they find the most appealing. A lot of cars from close years that are considered different models will have interchangable parts, so it's possible that this is what happened.

That sounds like a pretty reasonable price, but you can always ask if he would mind you taking it to a mechanic to check it out for you. Don't be afraid to haggle if it's more than you're willing to pay, the worst he can do is say no.

If you're buying a car that's stick, make sure you know what you're getting into, and that you have someone that is willing to drive it home for you and teach you. While driving stick gets easier with time, there is absolutely more frustrations and minor inconveniences that an auto grocery getter doesn't have. There's absolutely no reason to buy stick these days unless you enjoy driving or can't afford anything else. Do your research, make sure you know what you're getting, especially if it's going to be your daily driver.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  1583

Obligatory Guide if this is your first car as well.

I understand the appeal of Mustangs, but a medium to high power RWD car is not generally the best option for a first car. If you plan on hooning around town, FWD or AWD might be a safer and more affordable bet. You might not win all the light to lights, but you'll probably make it home in one piece every night. Weigh your options and see what you're really looking for in a car. Things like comfort, reliability, and even fuel economy can often be overlooked.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  1328

i agree with not buying a V6 mustang, you'll enjoy it at first but believe me, they get boring fast. A used honda civic or accord is a good reliable car, not fast IMO but it is reliable. VW GTI is a fun little car but maintenance can get expensive if you have issues. another reliable brand is toyota. you never really mentioned what type of car you are looking for. Are you looking for a reliable car? fast car? some of us on here love cars and can help you find something. I'd also do some research on some cars.

• Like 3

• Content Count:  484

you should not buy a v6 mustang

Why do people have v6 mustangs? I get they arent the most powerful, but at least theyre pretty reliable and look good too. Cheaper to maintain than a bmw/audi and less expensive than a v6 accord or a maxima.

Also, I didnt end up getting that car BUT when I ran the VIN, it came up as a 2014, so I was right. I asked the guy what year it was and he said it was 2012, so he didnt know what he was selling. Anyways, I realized that day manual cars (at least for now) are not for me. Plus, driving a lowered car hurts me internally when I scrape.

I did end up buying a car, and if you'd like to see it I'm gonna take pics of it today in the afternoon at the park and post them on the "Post your car" thread.

it may or may not be a 2010 mustang v6 premium... the 4.0L v6 is just a bit stronger than my dad's 2015 altima so it isnt like extremely unsafe and outside of my driving skills. either way im gonna drive it chill for now until i know the limits of the car and myself. hopefully, no crowds appear in the park...

• Content Count:  361

Why do people have v6 mustangs? I get they arent the most powerful, but at least theyre pretty reliable and look good too. Cheaper to maintain than a bmw/audi and less expensive than a v6 accord or a maxima.

Also, I didnt end up getting that car BUT when I ran the VIN, it came up as a 2014, so I was right. I asked the guy what year it was and he said it was 2012, so he didnt know what he was selling. Anyways, I realized that day manual cars (at least for now) are not for me. Plus, driving a lowered car hurts me internally when I scrape.

I did end up buying a car, and if you'd like to see it I'm gonna take pics of it today in the afternoon at the park and post them on the "Post your car" thread.

it may or may not be a 2010 mustang v6 premium... the 4.0L v6 is just a bit stronger than my dad's 2015 altima so it isnt like extremely unsafe and outside of my driving skills. either way im gonna drive it chill for now until i know the limits of the car and myself. hopefully, no crowds appear in the park...

It's a meme, people think you're a pussy if you get the v6 version of a pony car. They're lighter than v8s, so a little more fun to throw around. However, getting a sports car as your first car is like getting a Rolex or Grand Seiko as your first watch. A good first car is an economy shitbox, something simple and reliable with good gas mileage. Used civic's/accords and corollas are very good options for a first daily driver.

• Like 2

Reply to Thread