? servers

? players online

Is it illegal to drive a car that has the exterior stripped?

• Content Count:  484

So the title says it all. Is it illegal to drive a car that has all the exterior parts off? Obviously not the frame or anything like that, just things like the bumper, fenders, and stuff like that. I was watching a video of a guy doing donuts in a car that had it's exterior stripped. If youre wondering, it was this one:

Anyways, I feel like as long as you dont remove any of the frame or remove any safety stuff like maybe a wire that connects to the airbags or some shit (idk), it is legal. I tried looking it up and cannot find anything on it so Ive resorted to SG.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  1583

Apart from crash bars, bumpers, fenders, and somewhere to mount your license plate being required in most states, removing these pieces compromises the safety and aerodynamics of your vehicle. Manufacturers, in recent years, have put a lot of effort into improving the safety of vehicles, and those outer panels and beams play a key part in absorbing and distributing force during a collision. You can look up your state laws on what in particular is and isn't allowed. Keep in mind these only apply to registered cars on public roads though, so if you want to drive an 800hp go-kart on your own land, go for it.

The majority of people that do weight reduction on their cars will work from the inside out, removing trim, power seats, even door cards. Heavy body panels can instead be replaced with lighter counterparts like carbon fiber hoods and roofs.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  361

A stripped vehicle won't even pass a state or county required safety inspection, so yes. However, driving a modified vehicle on closed courses and tracks is perfectly legal as long as the track follows the necessary laws and has insurance. Most people that do these kinds of things are actually fairly adamant about following the laws, or do them during off times late at night when there's less risk involved.

• Like 2
Edited by Watchman

• Content Count:  1105

It depends in some states you’re not required to have the covering for the fender or bumper but you’re required to have the frame of it to protect you and and the others around you. I know in texas all you need really is doors, windshield, windshield wipers, mirrors, bumper and fender frame and ofc the frame it self.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  484

That's crazy, three different CA's answered lol. Thanks though, and don't worry Gentoo I'm not actually gonna do this I was just curious. I'm not trying to kill myself.

Reply to Thread