? servers

? players online

Convert the Surf DM Server to a KZ Server

• Content Count:  1920

I may be biased as I built SurfDM alongside @idealist but the same thing that happened to SurfDM will happen to a KZ server. It doesn't matter how many people say they'll spend hours populating it or how many people say that they would love it. I think it will have the same fate as SurfDM. I will admit, I slacked a lot with SurfDM but I put in so much effort to make it work but it still ended up being how it is today. I am no longer taking care of SurfDM but I don't think replacing it with another server that will probably die will be the best course of action. We got lucky with Retakes and 1v1 but I don't think we'll get lucky with a KZ server. That's just my opinion.

While it's valid you feel this way since you partially birthed the Surf DM server, I don't think it's true that a KZ server would die. Unless if my memory is failing me, I don't really remember too many suggestions months ago of people going "yo we need a Surf DM server", and there was definitely hype but I feel that a KZ server would have substantially more going for it from the get-go. Basing off pure statistics, there are 11 servers in the top 1000 that are KZ Climb and only 1 Surf DM/RPG Surf that even cracks almost top 1000.

There's a broader player base for KZ Climb since it can allow competitive players to improve their movement, and allow people who enjoy bhop and course style maps to get another server for them to enjoy. A KZ Climb server would reach a bigger market of players than the Surf DM ever would (no offense).

Not to mention, we didn't get "lucky" with Retakes or 1v1. Retakes also got months of effort from @Manny and @Cept For Her and has been pretty popular since its inception. On top of this (like @idealist mentioned in shoutbox), it is a competitive mode in a competitive game, allowing it to be more successful by nature. 1v1 for a while was sitting in the dirt too, but once managers and other staff began investing time into it, it has grown to a much better point. This is a shaky analogy, but marketing and putting out the Surf DM server is along the lines of trying to trade away a Case Hardened skin back in skin trading's hay-day. There's a limited range of people who are interested. Point being, all three servers have had effort put into them, but the more competitive ones have yielded a higher rank.

• Like 7

• Content Count:  6759

I'm just going to post this real quick since I quickly skimmed a bit. We are not in a position where we need to replace one gamemode of a server with another just because it's unsuccessful. We've completely strayed away from that mentality because we're potentially hurting ourselves of gaining some form of players (even if its minuscule) because the server no longer exists in the server list. We want to expand to more in CS:GO and other games outside of CS:GO and we obviously will. It's not like we don't want to do KZ on its own - it will absolutely happen one day. It's the matter of having a set of ATs in the team who are willing to do the work and purchasing some more custom IPs for servers we'd love to open to the community in the future.

I also encourage CAs to step up to the plate and offer to help if they want to see such gamemodes become the real deal one day. One day, any of you guys can easily be promoted to AT and run one of these very servers if you have the passion for it. It's just a matter of interest and work coming together to make it happen for us all.

Having the mindset of not trying new things because it'll be "another server that will probably die" is trash and I honestly question the position you're in with this statement.

Your ignorance speaks volumes. He's the complete opposite of what you think about him.

• Like 12
Edited by Black Rain

• Content Count:  824

well since "converting a server" has been voted off the island, are we able to welcome a new server?

They've mentioned in the past and I think in this thread that they want to spread out more, and that kz will most likely come in the future, it's just that they need more ips.

I got the quote:

We want to expand to more in CS:GO and other games outside of CS:GO and we obviously will. It's not like we don't want to do KZ on its own - it will absolutely happen one day. It's the matter of having a set of ATs in the team who are willing to do the work and purchasing some more custom IPs for servers we'd love to open to the community in the future.
  • Like 1

• Content Count:  1920

I'm just going to post this real quick since I quickly skimmed a bit. We are not in a position where we need to replace one gamemode of a server with another just because it's unsuccessful. We've completely strayed away from that mentality because we're potentially hurting ourselves of gaining some form of players (even if its minuscule) because the server no longer exists in the server list. We want to expand to more in CS:GO and other games outside of CS:GO and we obviously will. It's not like we don't want to do KZ on its own - it will absolutely happen one day. It's the matter of having a set of ATs in the team who are willing to do the work and purchasing some more custom IPs for servers we'd love to open to the community in the future.

This is completely understandable. My thought process behind replacing a server was just a reallocation of resources to something more successful. In general principle, my further thoughts were along the lines of freeing a manager from a dead server would allow them to work on another server and eventually freeing up space for managers to show interests in their other passion projects that may not be possible if their load is at a reasonable maximum. This is just something I hope to see in the future one way or another, and I'd love to chip in help any way I could to a project like a KZ server.

• Content Count:  1030

What if we turn the Surf DM server into a 24/7 Electric Razor server?

In my honest opinion, I don't think that the Surf DM server should be converted at all. This has already been established by the higher ups, so I'd just like to give my opinion on a KZ server. I LOVE KZ servers. Like many have said before, it's fun, challenging, helps with competitive play, and is fun no matter how many players are online. pI'm guessing there is a large supporting of a KZ Server, I'm sure all the CTs that camp extreme climb in clouds would agree. But in all seriousness, I think a KZ server, if a new server is being contemplated about being added in should be first on the list.

• Content Count:  481

I would also like to put my two cents into this conversation. While I barely have any experience on the Surf DM server, I think converting the Surf server into a KZ server would be a good idea but would also have little downfalls to it. Every time I'm in a KZ server there are loads and loads of people enjoying the server and having a good time. If we were to convert it into the Surf DM server it would bring the server back to life in a huge way, but certain people wouldn't like this at all because some could not like KZ at all and still wish there was still an active Surf DM server. Either than that, I think this would end up leading down the right path in the future for the community.

• Like 1

Reply to Thread