? servers

? players online

Convert the Surf DM Server to a KZ Server

• Content Count:  1920

Hi.

With all due respect, the Surf DM server is dead and has been dead for a while. It has sat in the Mid 3000s to Low 4000s ranks for months now. In the last 30 days, it peaked at 7 players. When it first came out it was fun, but only while it lasted. This server would have been better off as an MGT in my own opinion. The managers did their best to try and put life in it, but it seems there is no community interest in either playing or bringing suggestions for this server.

Something that has piqued the interest of the community for a while now is a KZ server. I don't feel like this would be a niche server that only lasted a short time, but would be a name stay for a while. There are six KZ servers located in the top 500 servers, and I feel like with proper management and time investment, we could make our way up there as well with numerous regulars in our community showing interest in the concept of a server. With an already promising player base, this would hopefully allow our name to get out there on server lists because we are already populated. There are multiple KZ timers that are public and this server wouldn't take too much time to set up as long as the cards were played right.

• Like 14

• Content Count:  1559

fr I would love to see a kz server whether that would be replacing a server or just making one

edit:making a kz server is prob one of the easiest things to do, all you would really need is this plugin https://bitbucket.org/kztimerglobalteam/kztimerglobal/src/master/ some maps, and the right cvars

Edited by 20 scrolls

• Content Count:  2693

I may be biased as I built SurfDM alongside @idealist but the same thing that happened to SurfDM will happen to a KZ server. It doesn't matter how many people say they'll spend hours populating it or how many people say that they would love it. I think it will have the same fate as SurfDM. I will admit, I slacked a lot with SurfDM but I put in so much effort to make it work but it still ended up being how it is today. I am no longer taking care of SurfDM but I don't think replacing it with another server that will probably die will be the best course of action. We got lucky with Retakes and 1v1 but I don't think we'll get lucky with a KZ server. That's just my opinion.

• Content Count:  590

KZ server is what helps people to get better in the actual competitive game. It’s only their movement, but it’s something. That’s why Retakes and 1v1 do so well because people come there to get better at the game. I mean SurfDM was fun imo, but either it needs major revamping (which I got a few ideas of my own) or just moved to another server. I play on other KZ servers to help better my movement and many others do that as well.

• Like 3

• Content Count:  5375

KZ server is what helps people to get better in the actual competitive game. It’s only their movement, but it’s something. That’s why Retakes and 1v1 do so well because people come there to get better at the game. I mean SurfDM was fun imo, but either it needs major revamping (which I got a few ideas of my own) or just moved to another server. I play on other KZ servers to help better my movement and many others do that as well.

Where the suggestion threads at amigo? Can't just say 'server was fun but needed a lot of changes' and then 'I have ideas' and not provide any examples. KZ is probably a more popular gamemode on this POS game but if you can make a unique server work then you won't have to worry about competition in the game mode or a dead server. Don't really care if this server is scrapped at the end of the day but don't try and say 'I think I really could have helped this server' more or less with your response and not provide any substance.

• Like 5

• Content Count:  16

I may be biased as I built SurfDM alongside @idealist but the same thing that happened to SurfDM will happen to a KZ server. It doesn't matter how many people say they'll spend hours populating it or how many people say that they would love it. I think it will have the same fate as SurfDM. I will admit, I slacked a lot with SurfDM but I put in so much effort to make it work but it still ended up being how it is today. I am no longer taking care of SurfDM but I don't think replacing it with another server that will probably die will be the best course of action. We got lucky with Retakes and 1v1 but I don't think we'll get lucky with a KZ server. That's just my opinion.

There is a major difference between a KZ server and a Surf DM server. One requires a population of players to have an enjoyable experience, as it is based around killing, while the other can have the same enjoyment with 1 or 30 players online. Having the mindset of not trying new things because it'll be "another server that will probably die" is trash and I honestly question the position you're in with this statement.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  1559

this might be the case but I doubt it, I would think kz to be more like bhop, most of the players are people who are good at bhopping (like saturn, bowgun, etc.) and here and there some newer players join bhop because it might be the first thing that appears on their server list. I personally know some people that have been wanting a kz server for a while and would love to have a kz server on SG

• Content Count:  5375

There is a major difference between a KZ server and a Surf DM server. One requires a population of players to have an enjoyable experience, as it is based around killing, while the other can have the same enjoyment with 1 or 30 players online. Having the mindset of not trying new things because it'll be "another server that will probably die" is trash and I honestly question the position you're in with this statement.

The whole point of a community putting up a server is for people to play it. I can have fun on surf dm by myself as well. Fun is subjective. Sure Surf DM may not have an active population but what if 1-2 players want to get on once a week and play for fun, much like the numbers you have laid out here in your post for KZ players to have fun. Opinion is opinion, you have the right to yours and John has a right to his. In my opinion you should back the fuck up off one of the best IA's and AT's we have at the moment.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  590

Where the suggestion threads at amigo? Can't just say 'server was fun but needed a lot of changes' and then 'I have ideas' and not provide any examples. KZ is probably a more popular gamemode on this POS game but if you can make a unique server work then you won't have to worry about competition in the game mode or a dead server. Don't really care if this server is scrapped at the end of the day but don't try and say 'I think I really could have helped this server' more or less with your response and not provide any substance.

You’re not wrong, I didn’t put it in the op because I wanted it to be about why switching to a KZ server would be good. I’m also not sure how much my ideas could do saying that I’m just an SA. I’m on phone I’ll put the ideas down later.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  2693

I have always fought for new servers. When @idealist was still around our plan was to roll out plenty of servers in new games in the hopes of straying away from CS:GO. Trying new things is my main focus in this community. I'm currently working on a server in an entirely different game that another person and I have put our blood, sweat, and tears into. I have other server ideas that I have proposed and one that is currently being waited to be greenlit. Expanding into new games is what I want to see this community do and it is what I am trying to pursue. I gave my opinion as you gave yours. I appreciate your opinion but I don't see why you had to come at my neck like that. Thank you.

• Like 18

Reply to Thread