? servers

? players online

Some form of replay system PLEASE.

• Content Count:  633

I feel like the punishment for an RDM isn't worth all the trouble this will cause. No reason to have a hitlist of people to slay for an RDM they committed 4 months ago just because they haven't been on the server since then. It's like a warrant.

• Content Count:  1920

I've done my best to read through this thread and I'm going to try and put out a pros and cons of this because this is a really interesting concept that could either go really well or really poorly in execution IMO. Please note this list is my own personal opinion on the pros and cons, but I've tried to include things already stated in this thread.

Pros:

• Allows a pair of eyes when players aren't recording and/or admins+ aren't around to help in the servers.
  • (If text + audio were able to be recorded) Allows players without recording capabilities/players who had their recording software off to submit player complaints and help keep our servers clean.
  • More players may look to submit player complaints since it does a lot of the heavy lifting of a player complaint for them. Believe it or not, people are extremely lazy, especially for something meant for relaxation and blowing off steam.
  • (This one is less probable, but ya never know) May deter some players from breaking the rules if they know there's always a watchful pair of eyes to catch them slip if someone chose to make a complaint.

Cons:

• (via @fantastic) May require the tech team to allow some form of public access to something intended to remain private, potential security worries? I really doubt anyone has the capabilities to cause a security breach in the FTP. Most of our players either don't have the technical know-how to get into FTP from their limited access or wouldn't have malicious intent to go after our systems. But, you can never be too safe with things like this.
  • May require more work than its worth. While this would be an extremely useful tool to have in our big servers if done right, it will more than likely require a lot of work to get it done in a way that benefits all sides the most, and there are no guarantees of how many players will know about this tool and utilize it.
  • Unknown extent of technical requirements. It's hard to really determine how much memory usage it will take to store the footage (especially if it has audio), and how much it will take to run this bot if we need to run it on our dedi, and if it's feasible to actually go through with.
  • Will probably cause an influx of petty complaints and make witch-hunting in our servers far more common for inconsequential instances that will just cause unneeded work and annoyance for our CA+.

Overall, I think this would be something at least interesting to test out privately and see if it would even be worth going into a publicly released version to use on our most popular servers. I say most popular servers because I assume this will be hefty to run and it would be better to just run on our top servers where we get most of our complaints on player behavior from anyway.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  550

Have you read through the thread and read the clarifying questions asked and answers given? (:

I kinda just read and typed. I read through the thread after and saw that most answers share a similar conclusion.

• Content Count:  2342

This isn't viable because we use the GOTV bot to record demos of players banned by SMAC, and unfortunately GOTV can't record two demos at once. Will be marking this as rejected as a result of this, but feel free to continue discussing... perhaps there's a solution we haven't thought of.

• Like 2
Edited by fantastic

Reply to Thread