Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    benzene
    SG Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    On an individual level people are going to lose jobs, lose money, and potentially lose family members or loved ones due to the virus. Global scale my ass.

People downplaying the severity of the situation at this point are morons.
    I agree with you completely, unemployment rates are rising, people are losing their primary sources of income, and many businesses, small and large alike, are losing a lot of revenue.

However, the point I'm trying to establish is that in my first post, I was only talking about the sole prospect of trying to avoid getting the coronavirus. I wasn't talking about anything other than that specific point, and I guess that my lack of clarification on that matter shows that I'm a moron. At this point, I don't care anymore.

Korean Ninja
    ?????
    Quote Originally Posted by benzene View Post
    I'm talking about an individual level, not on a global scale. I didn't mention anything about that, if you do the things that I was talking about earlier, the virus isn't concerning.
    IF you are talking about lowering the incidence of the virus, yes these things help but it doesn't mean that following this protocol = we can stop the spread. Whether or not you ARE talking about incidence, you should STILL be concerned both in a physical and social aspect. You are doing yourself a disservice by saying this is not a concern

Wawa
    Where's the gamers?
    Quote Originally Posted by benzene View Post
    the virus isn't concerning.
    Was 9/11 concerning to you? Because the death toll of this virus, in the US alone, is now about a day away from hitting the total number of deaths from 9/11, and we're still at the beginning of the spread. The worst case scenario of the total number of deaths, when all is said and done, from this virus will hit 2.2 million Americans, a 3rd of the number of Jews that died in the Holocaust.

We're talking about a virus that takes 2-14 days upon receiving it to actually start showing symptoms and a society where, unfortunately, there's a large number of people who won't take this shit seriously. So even with social distancing, the virus will spread and lots of people will die.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wawa For This Useful Post:
    Bacon (Yesterday), Error. (Yesterday), Strayyz (Yesterday)

Phoenix_
    Honorable Gamer
    When this whole virus came about and it was localized to China, I wasn't very concerned and thought it would be something that stayed relatively small and didn't cause many major global issues. Man, was I wrong. This is probably one of the worst outbreaks in a decade or so, only even slightly comparable to the swine flu back in 2009. Doing a little bit of reading from what the CDC posted, the death toll was relatively low for the H1N1 Virus/Swine Flu back in 2009 because many people 60+ had antibodies from a previous outbreak of H1N1 earlier in their lifetimes. COVID-19/Coronavirus is far more serious than this because it is a new virus and before this outbreak nobody had any antibodies to counteract this virus. While this virus more than likely is not dangerous to most people, mainly being dangerous to the elderly, those who are immunocompromised and infants, that doesn't mean we can say "well it doesn't affect me so I don't care." That type of ignorance is what is making this outbreak worse and is what is going to cause far more deaths than there needs to be.

While the full scale of the economic repercussions of this pandemic is yet to be seen, I can guarantee we will not be able to return back to the normal ways of the last half-decade. Millions of Americans and people around the world are losing their jobs and sources of income because many places are shutting down to try and slow the spread of this virus. Personally speaking, I can honestly see a recession, maybe a depression happening before this is all said and done. While many countries in the world are doing what they can to relieve their citizens and keep life as easy as it can be in a time like this, it won't be enough to stop a global trend of economic downturn. If we in the US want to be the "leading superpower" of the world we need to set the standard of how to handle something like this, but we're doing the complete opposite. While the Trump administration is not totally at fault for how this situation has developed, they certainly have done many things wrong and the country as a whole has not done enough to try and lessen the speed of the spread of this virus. I don't want to make this too political since this is mainly a human issue and should not involve politics but focus on the well-being of people around the world. I understand you can't really avoid politics at a time like this, but I'll still do my best to. The stimulus package passed by the government is simply not enough to help the citizens of this country. While it is better than nothing, the amount of money going to support hospitals around this country simply isn't enough to prevent hospitals from running out of beds and equipment. We need to prepare ahead of time for the inevitable overflow of hospitals by building makeshift hospitals and using places like unused dorms and vacant sports stadiums as makeshift hospitals that can at least meet the basic needs of patients of coronavirus and other things that may occur outside of this pandemic.

Even though the CDC is constantly telling people to practice social distancing, and endless amounts of Twitter and Instagram activists spreading that message, I don't really see it impacting people enough to slow the spread of the virus to a point where hospitals won't be overcrowded. Not only do people need to end up crowding places such as grocery stores to get their basic living needs, millions still need to go to work every day to get by and pay bills. Not to mention, there are unfortunately a good amount of retards with this type of mentality who don't realize how much of a threat corona is to both themselves and those around them.

I don't even think this whole rant has any main point besides the world is fucked but at least I'm doing my part and staying the fuck home. Godspeed and I hope you all stay healthy and safe in this trying time.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Phoenix_ For This Useful Post:
    Bacon (Yesterday), Creten (Yesterday), Wawa (Yesterday)

Bad Karma
    SG Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by idealist View Post
    Read an article that high dosages of vitamin C was literally "curing" people in China. I'd source but I'm on my phone at the moment. Corona virus is just like every other election cycle virus, it's meant to fear monger and give the news/political circus something new to talk about .
    The fear mongering is getting out of hand especially with idiots hoarding supplies they don't need, I'd understand buying a few things more but when you hoard supplies and leave the most vulnerable with nothing its destructive.

Wawa
    Where's the gamers?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Karma View Post
    The fear mongering is getting out of hand especially with idiots hoarding supplies they don't need, I'd understand buying a few things more but when you hoard supplies and leave the most vulnerable with nothing its destructive.
    It all comes down to one fundamental question: What is your scope of 'care' as a human being? Is it just yourself and no one else (narcissism), is it yourself and only your immediate family, is it your immediate family and your neighbors, is it your family, neighbors, and community, or is it beyond? This epidemic is exposing every country to this question; unfortunately, the US is leaning more towards narcissism and Europe is leaning more towards care towards community.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wawa For This Useful Post:
    Bacon (Yesterday), Korean Ninja (Yesterday), Phoenix_ (Yesterday)

Vy
    SG Elite

By the way, it's retarded to believe this does not affect young people.

There's cases in Italy when they die from their own immune system overreacting to the virus. Completely healthy folks in their 30s and 20's are dropping. Older folks are more susceptible to the virus because they're old. Though the young aren't magically immune to it.

Get a N95 mask and use it when you go out anywhere. Wear some protective glasses. Don't just wash your hands. Wash your face regularly. Don't get into contact with anyone unless you cannot help it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Vy For This Useful Post:
    Phoenix_ (Yesterday)

Andrew
    SG Professional
    Pretty sure the masks don’t do shit to prevent you from getting the virus, but rather keeps it from spreading if do have it. Best leave them for medical personal and just stay at home if you happen to contract it.