Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    thuxys
    SG Regular

SilentGuns

RIP the US and its masses of uninsured people. Hope ya'll don't live in a big city.

Yang
    ^^^ Love Guru ^^^
    the media just need to stfu and stop spreading false information to the public making people panic and shit

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Yang For This Useful Post:
    aelius (03-08-2020)

Vy
    SG Elite

Quote Originally Posted by idealist View Post
    Imagine living through avian flu, swine flu, sars and a plethora of other viruses that we're all supposed to be just as big as the media is making this one out to be. It's a talking point for the 24h news cycle you will all be okay.
    • Avian flu
    • Swine flu
    • SARS

The first two can be classified as influenza, which causes around 400 000 deaths seasonally (yearly, globally) unless there is an outbreak (which causes considerably more).

SARS-COV and the currently unnamed Novel-COV can be grouped together. The difference is that nCOV-19 (Novel Coronavirus 2019) has ~160 000 confirmed cases and ~6 000 deaths, whilst the previous SARS epidemic only had some 8 000 cases globally.

(Edit 2020 March 18th, 14:50 GMT) As of now, there's ~203 000 confirmed cases. That's a jump of 40 000 in 3 days, practically all outside of China! At the current rate, we'll likely have over 300 000 - 500 000 confirmed infected at the end of March.

The big thing is that the spread, as it remains now, is uncontrollable. It heavily affects old and middle aged people and is quite a bitch to treat (as are all respiratory illnesses), due to a lack of respirators available at any given time. The death rate will ultimately sky-rocket, as we currently see in Italy, due to a lack of medical equipment to deal with the virus.

In addition to this. It is here to stay. It won't just randomly disappear as you can be infectious for 2 weeks and a lot of people have mild symptoms (do not go to a doctor, nor is the first thing they'd check for anyways). It is basically another addition to the already horrible flu, that kills a a lot of people.

Lastly, the economy is already taking a huge hit. Germany had to bail out their banks again with around 650 billion £. (Though nCOV-19 isn't exactly the main reason here) China stopped production for 3 weeks and I can feel the ripples of that back at work and I live nowhere close. I think the fed is also thinking about bail outs. We're off to another economic crisis.

Edit: The fed cut interest rates back down to 0,25 - 0 %. The same as in 2008. The economy has slowed down. My country is in full quarantine (all bars, restaurants, cafe's, theaters, cinema's, etc are closed, people are encouraged to work from home if possible, no one can leave/enter the country), the same can be said about Italy, Germany (soon), Denmark, France, Poland... the list will grow larger as time goes by.

Something other to note, is that there is a lot more people that are sick from nCOV-19 than you might think. Due to a lack of test kits, the only people that are currently tested are: a) people that have returned from a high risk country b) people that were in long contact with someone who had nCOV-19. Maybe hospitals straight out refuse to test people who think they have the virus if they do not belong to the aforementioned groups. (Not to mention that if you live in the United States, you're fairly boned, unless you have a spare >20k USD lying around... just for a test, mind you!)

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Vy For This Useful Post:
    Bacon (03-15-2020), John (03-15-2020), Motox (03-15-2020), Poke (03-15-2020), Strayyz (03-15-2020), TheZZL (03-15-2020)

Fishey
    SG Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by idealist View Post
    Imagine living through avian flu, swine flu, sars and a plethora of other viruses that we're all supposed to be just as big as the media is making this one out to be. It's a talking point for the 24h news cycle you will all be okay.

Listen here Jack, let me set you straight. This thing isn't going anywhere. Back in my day we didn't call it covid whatever; we called it the "Shanghai Shivers". I used to know a guy, went by the name Cornflake Jackson. Ol' Cornflake used to play guitar down at the pool hall. Here's the deal, fat: if Cornflake Jackson says the Shanghai Shivers, "Ain't no thang" you can take that to the bank, buckaroo. That's how I know you're full of shit. I'd punch your daughter straight in the mouth.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fishey For This Useful Post:
    Motox (03-20-2020), SexualHarassmentPanda (03-21-2020)

Wawa
    Where's the gamers?
    Quote Originally Posted by Yang View Post
    the media just need to stfu and stop spreading false information to the public making people panic and shit
    The media can't do that because it is owned by Mickey fucking Mouse. Corporate media is mainstream media is bullshit media; anyone who gets their primary source of news from a television screen is an ignorant dinosaur.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wawa For This Useful Post:
    Bad Karma (Yesterday), bat (03-24-2020), drippy (03-24-2020), Phoenix_ (03-29-2020), Yang (03-24-2020)

frosty

Pretty much complete lock down here in the UK now, the only benefit is that I can now work from home and get more done. Funny how three weeks ago it wasn't a big concern for anyone and now here we are.

Korean Ninja
    ?????
    Quote Originally Posted by benzene View Post
    It's not too concerning, as long as you are following the recommendations set by your local government. Actually practice social distancing from people who you don't know if they've been contaminated or not. If you're careful, you should be fine.
    What?

People losing jobs, not concerning
    Small businesses getting a second asshole, not concerning
    I'm not making money BUT I still have to pay for rent and other utilities, not concerning

The virus is half the fucking problem, what the fuck do you mean it's not too concerning

13. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Korean Ninja For This Useful Post:
    Bacon (Yesterday), Bad Karma (Yesterday), Bright (03-29-2020), Demi (Today), frosty (03-29-2020), Greggy G (03-29-2020), Im Sad (03-29-2020), John (03-29-2020), Noxstar (03-29-2020), Phoenix_ (03-29-2020), Poke (03-29-2020), Strayyz (03-29-2020), Wawa (03-29-2020)

benzene
    SG Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Korean Ninja View Post
    What?

People losing jobs, not concerning
    Small businesses getting a second asshole, not concerning
    I'm not making money BUT I still have to pay for rent and other utilities, not concerning

The virus is half the fucking problem, what the fuck do you mean it's not too concerning
    I'm talking about an individual level, not on a global scale. I didn't mention anything about that, if you do the things that I was talking about earlier, the virus isn't concerning.

Kieran
    Certified Gamer
    Quote Originally Posted by benzene View Post
    I'm talking about an individual level, not on a global scale. I didn't mention anything about that, if you do the things that I was talking about earlier, the virus isn't concerning.
    On an individual level people are going to lose jobs, lose money, and potentially lose family members or loved ones due to the virus. Global scale my ass.

People downplaying the severity of the situation at this point are morons.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kieran For This Useful Post:
    b1g mac (Today), Bad Karma (Yesterday), Charliere (03-29-2020)