? servers

? players online

(JB) Head Guard

• Content Count:  1920

This is something I would usually bring right to the ATs as an idea, but this topic is something I feel the people that would be affected by this most should definitely share their opinions and further suggestions on this. This isn't some full-fledged idea since this is literally a shower thought, but anyway...

So I understand we have more or less wrapped up the discussion of a possibility of a warden, but I think this could be something that would provide a balance of keeping the chaos that our server thrives on while being able to maintain some sort of order when populations are high and the server is hectic. Another thing that was brought up when discussing the concept of warden at the CA+ level was how to make warden unique and attract players instead of being just another Jailbreak server with a warden.

What I bring to the table is the concept of a Head Guard which is essentially a First Order+. This ideally would be activated when the server hits 30 pop where the teams would be around 10:20 ratio. This would include:

1. Having the powers of !fo as it is now, but then the ability to override any order by another CT until the 2:00 mark.

This would allow for the Head Guard to maintain order if CTs tried to give repetitively shitty orders, or if they were conflicting with each other. The Head Guard would give the final say on an order so there would be no questions. This would go until 2:00 so the head guard has the option to choose & run a death game without confusion from other CTs. This also allows the other CTs to give orders past the 2:00 mark where the round is more than likely at the point of getting close to LRs or it's full of rebellers where more voices are needed anyway.

2. (Potentially) Having some sort of color change to their model while they are Head Guard

This would create a risk factor for taking Head Guard by making you stick out like a sore thumb. Higher risk means more power.

-----

Potential Questions:

Would any other CT be allowed to give special orders or run a voluntary death game? Yes, but the Head Guard would be able to revoke the special order like any other CT could as well.

Couldn't someone abuse this to give bad orders over and over again? Well technically yes, but a way of avoiding this is by setting the cooldown to this feature to somewhere between 3-5 rounds per person. This would prevent frequent abuse. If someone were abusing this to the point where it disrupted the server, I'm sure an admin could handle the situation properly.

Could freedays be given during the time of First Guard? Yes, the rule should stay the same about freedays, but I think this would be one instance where another CT could override the Head Guard. If the Head Guard took head guard to spam a freeday order, a normal CT should be able to give real orders.

-----

This idea isn't complete by any means since I'm writing this at 3:15 in the morning and I thought of it in the shower, but please share your thoughts and feel free to add to this idea and we can see where this discussion goes. This could lead to something or crash and burn, but it can't hurt to generate discussion. Not only does it get people actively debating on something, but it could also generate ideas people didn't even know they had. Thanks for anything you input in advance.

• Like 3
Edited by Chad

• Content Count:  1987

IIRC there was a buffed !fo added to mimic a warden system and with some similarities to the suggestions listed above.

The buffed !fo allowed the CT who took it have first order for an extended amount of time and passed on if he / she died. I wouldn’t mind seeing a return of this as it’d be of some help to the players when listening to orders.

Changelog of buffed !fo: https://www.steam-gamers.net/forum/showthread.php?t=60622&page=11

I believe it has been since removed due to a few bugs.

Edited by Trazz

• Content Count:  498

I personally think this HG (head guard) system is way too complicated. SGs jailbreak should be accessible and understandable to newer users adding more and more factors confuses and discourages newer players. We want new people to have fun on the jailbreak server and SG as a community. When someone who has never touched jailbreak has to listen to one guy give a order and then half a second later some dude revokes it they’ll have no clue what’s going on. Making new rules over technicalities is only chasing people away. Making CT’s have simple rules that everyone can follow, and make the server have simple rules that everyone has to follow and you have a happy community. Adding new plugins only makes something trivial become a big deal.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  927

All I know is something needs to be created to help the chaotic servers when the amount of the people on the servers gets high. There’s nothing worse then hearing a bunch of CTs either yelling at each other or yelling in their mic “I ALREADY GAVE AN ORDER STOP CONFLICTING” and things along the lines of that. There are times I wish we had a warden and times we didn’t, but something like your idea needs to be implemented before the summer hits. I’ll be editing this post later when I get home from school on my opinion on your idea!

Edit: I'm home now. Anyway, I was administrating JB on a Monday night with over 40 people on it... and let me just tell you that even with multiple admins on, JB is too hectic to have all these CT's trying to give orders with over 25 T's talking and other CTs conflicting orders. Having a role such as Head Guard (or whatever you want to name it) should create a flow where they can give THE order and allow the game to be played without giving half of the server a brain aneurysm. Also, I assume with their override it'll mute everyone? If you didn't imply that, then I personally would want it to. This allows all Ts and CTs to hear the order clearly. Either it can be timed (30 seconds?), end at 2:00 and/or whenever they type in the command again. Of course, this is something that people should apply for.

Edited by Chad
to give my opinion

• Content Count:  532

I agree that when it comes to a higher player count, orders become way more chaotic and the server becomes super hetic. Having something like of what you thought of phoenix would be a huge positive imo. Having a head guard at a certain player count would make giving and hearing orders easier for everyone. It would allow for more chances for actual games and fun orders. With 12 ct's talking at once giving a fun order for a game is near impossible. All that can be heard is "rush pool" "rush soccer" "all t's freeze" etc. I'm completely up for a warden type plugin as long as its set at a certain player count, ex 28+. I like JB's current system of all CT's having a say for the most part. Frankly I've been enjoying JB alot more recently than other gamemodes, the current flow of JB is pretty great. But again a warden/head guard plugin for high crowd times is something I wouldn't mind seeing introduced.

I personally think this HG (head guard) system is way too complicated. SGs jailbreak should be accessible and understandable to newer users adding more and more factors confuses and discourages newer players. We want new people to have fun on the jailbreak server and SG as a community. When someone who has never touched jailbreak has to listen to one guy give a order and then half a second later some dude revokes it they’ll have no clue what’s going on. Making new rules over technicalities is only chasing people away. Making CT’s have simple rules that everyone can follow, and make the server have simple rules that everyone has to follow and you have a happy community. Adding new plugins only makes something trivial become a big deal.

I personally agree that we should seek to simplify the rules so that they are easy to follow, but I don't really think this is something trivial. If anything, this system would create less confusion because if two CTs (one being the head guard) give an order, there is no question as to which order to follow. In the current system, if two CTs give an order at pretty much the same time, it creates confusion and people get shot for no reason most of the time because they don't know which to follow, and CTs sometimes don't know which order to enforce. The goal of this would be to provide clarity where the order can't be questioned, and the order can be had in a high pop server. I don't really see how someone could see it as not having fun by having someone who can give definite orders where there are no questions as to what to follow. I can understand a little confusion at first because there would be some nuances with this, but just like everything else that is added, people would get used to it within a week.

Also, I assume with their override it'll mute everyone? If you didn't imply that, then I personally would want it to. This allows all Ts and CTs to hear the order clearly. Either it can be timed (30 seconds?), end at 2:00 and/or whenever they type in the command again. Of course, this is something that people should apply for.

That's not really what I was implying in saying that. It was more along the lines of how any real order can be given over a freeday, just translate that to the head guard giving an order over any different guard. I'm a bit iffy on the whole muting thing... It certainly has its pros but I fear it would get abused too much to where they would intentionally be using voice so other CTs can't talk. Other CTs can give valuable information such as KOSes and callouts. As far as people applying for it, I think that is honestly ridiculous. It doesn't really make sense to have people apply for something that would be a fundamental part of the server. I can see where you're coming from so that it doesn't get abused, but I don't think that's the right way to go about it.

So how would someone get to be Head-Guard? You never established this anywhere, so I was confused on how someone would achieve this position... Also, I'm not against for having the mute other CTs not be a thing, but how would you get your order out clearly for EVERYONE to hear? We all know people have a hard time reading chat and I assume T's would rather hear it over mic then in-game, but if that's what has to be done, then it shouldn't be a huge issue.

"Another thing that was brought up when discussing the concept of warden at the CA+ level was how to make warden unique and attract players instead of being just another Jailbreak server with a warden." I hope this isn't going to be CA+ only, as CA's aren't always that active on JB. I've been playing between 4-5 hours a day the past week and I don't see many CA's to the point where they should be the only ones having it hence me saying there should be a way for more people to become it.

So how would someone get to be Head-Guard? You never established this anywhere, so I was confused on how someone would achieve this position... Also, I'm not against for having the mute other CTs not be a thing, but how would you get your order out clearly for EVERYONE to hear? We all know people have a hard time reading chat and I assume T's would rather hear it over mic then in-game, but if that's what has to be done, then it shouldn't be a huge issue.

The intent would for it to be accessible to everyone who can play CT. I thought I emphasized it's literally just upgrading first order but I guess I didn't make that clear enough, my bad. You would just do !hg or something like that when there were 30+ on.

"Another thing that was brought up when discussing the concept of warden at the CA+ level was how to make warden unique and attract players instead of being just another Jailbreak server with a warden." I hope this isn't going to be CA+ only, as CA's aren't always that active on JB. I've been playing between 4-5 hours a day the past week and I don't see many CA's to the point where they should be the only ones having it hence me saying there should be a way for more people to become it.

You're misunderstanding what I was saying. I was saying when it was being discussed by CA+, that doesn't mean that the head guard would only be a CA+ command. It would be accessible for all players.

• Like 1

I gotcha. I didn't understand it of just taking FO and it's something you have for that round. Also, I didn't expect it to be CA+, I just didn't know if you were trying to connect this to that idea of it being CA+ like the idea mentioned before. XD

• Content Count:  1030

I definitely like the idea of this, but I do think that it could be developed a bit more, because it does seem a little bit complicated. But the idea behind this I think would be perfect for JB, especially with so many people deciding to just cause chaos on CT side, with conflicting orders and such. I will be looking forward to something like this being implemented in the future, and I definitely think that this would be beneficial to the server.

• Like 2

Reply to Thread