? servers

? players online

New CSGO Phishing scam

• Content Count:  539

I have recently encountered a new type of scam where someone tried to get my steam information and wanted to bring some awareness to you guys as its decently complicated and very easy to get lost in.

The individual in question randomly added me on steam and as you can see in the screenshot below, asked if I wanted to join his roster for a tournament.

I answered some of his preliminary questions to see where it was going as it was fairly obvious to me what his plan was.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20790[/ATTACH]

He asked me to join his group which was a regular steam group and came off rather innocent.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20791[/ATTACH]

That is until he asked me to get registered on the tournament website named "hostcup". And while this site seemed relatively innocent at first glance, it is actually the base for their phishing operation.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20792[/ATTACH]

As you can see, the only way to sign in on this website was to use the "sign in through steam" button but this button is in fact a fake and takes you to the following page:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20793[/ATTACH]

This is a fake page that was made to resemble the real valve login page and is used to steal your information. One way of telling this is by looking at the url and noticing that it is not a steam community URL. I have included a screenshot of a real login with steam page below for comparison.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20794[/ATTACH]

As you can see, aside from those small differences, these two pages are incredibly similar.

Please be careful when clicking any link that a stranger on steam sends you and to be even safer, don't add someone on steam who you do not immediately recognize.

Stay safe everyone and thanks for reading.

P.S. Google chrome later flagged the site as a known phishing site but did not do this when I originally clicked

• Like 12

• Content Count:  2579

This isn't new in any way, and this is one poor ass attempt at the original scam, too, and once again I will repeat myself:

DO NOT CLICK ON LINKS RANDOM PEOPLE SEND YOU, DON'T LOG IN ON ANYTHING A RANDOM SENDS YOU, DO NOT GIVE OUT YOUR PASSWORD ONLINE, STEAM ADMINS CONTACTING YOU IS NOT A THING, SENDING YOUR SSN TO A STRANGER IS NOT A WAY TO VERIFY THAT YOU'RE ABOVE 13 YEARS OLD, BE SKEPTICAL

We are not liable if you fall for these (whether it be on our platforms or not) and you can (and will!) get permanently banned if you get caught sending links to our users. You are all aware that these scams are network based, and the hacked accounts are used to hack more- be careful, even with your friends.

• Like 4

• Content Count:  820

I know I get grouped with the "jailbreak kids" but I don't accept anyone above level 10 or that comment on my profile. I'm not that dumb lol

Also usually people that have a specific level are scammers, like 100 or 333. When I had an expensive item, I got a lot of people adding me that were exactly 100 and knew immediately they were fake.

Reply to Thread