? servers

? players online

Upgrading my PC

• Content Count:  1020

Hey everyone! So I've recently been interested in updating my computer parts and could use a second opinion on the parts I've selected so far as I'm not the best when it comes to computer parts. Here's the list for you and my budget is $500 USD. I also want to add that I'm getting this motherboard instead of the standard B450 but it hasn't been listed on partpicker yet. Thanks for your time and look forward to the suggestions you guys can give me!

Also I need new storage due to me giving my older parts to my little brother so he can have his own tower before anyway ask why I'm not bringing them over.

• Content Count:  1385

Is there any reason why you would go for 2x8 GB instead of 1x16 GB RAM?

I would avoid Western Digital like the plague. For a comparably small amount more you can get a 'Samsung 860 Evo 500GB' or a 'Samsung 970 Evo Plus 250GB'.

What are you going to do with the computer? Are you sure you actually need a Ryzen 7 instead of a 5?

Also, any reason why you picked the 'MAX' version over the regular one when you're not getting an NGFF (M.2) storage device?

• Like 1
Edited by Vy

• Content Count:  1952

Is there any reason why you would go for 2x8 GB instead of 1x16 GB RAM?

Could be dual channeling ram or some other capabilities he has from the budget that he'd go for a 2x8gb.

I think the list is actually fine. Just imo, I'm not the greatest with PC parts but it's good for the budget.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  3150

@Vy you get 2 x 8 gigs because RAM is known to fail or even come faulty, and if you only have one stick and it dies your computer just doesnt turn on and you have no idea why + have no way to test if it's your ram. Always have at least 2 RAM sticks.

@WavY he is right in saying that you should go for a samsung SSD, they are virtually the best in the market (for general use) with good quality control and pricing. Western Digitial isn't bad (and is one of the standards for regular HDD), Samsung is simply better in regards to SSDs.

Looks good otherwise. Solid choice for the budget.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  3150

Thanks guys but I already ordered all my parts.. The only thing now would be if it’s worth returning my WD SSD for a Samsung one

Probably not, you're gonna want to put your operating system on there. No point in having to wait X days to be able to put it all together.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  361

@Vy you get 2 x 8 gigs because RAM is known to fail or even come faulty, and if you only have one stick and it dies your computer just doesnt turn on and you have no idea why + have no way to test if it's your ram. Always have at least 2 RAM sticks.

@WavY he is right in saying that you should go for a samsung SSD, they are virtually the best in the market (for general use) with good quality control and pricing. Western Digitial isn't bad (and is one of the standards for regular HDD), Samsung is simply better in regards to SSDs.

Looks good otherwise. Solid choice for the budget.

Not only that, dual channel RAM always provides better performance than single channel. The only time I'd really recommend single channel is if you're on a budget and plan to upgrade from one 8 gig stick to a 2x8 later on.

• Content Count:  1385

That's true, though upgrading to 32GB of RAM later on would be a little bit awkward, imo.

Though I'd guess for most uses that's fairly far fetched as 16GB for a gaming computer would do just fine. For my own personal computer I went with 1x16GB and later bought another 16G stick, though I do use some software that's fairly RAM intensive and have a few VM's running due to work.

• Content Count:  1105

Personally I would've gone with faster ram like 3666 because Ryzen CPUs like faster ram it actually makes the system run a whole lot faster and since you're getting somewhat a beffy stock cooler I recommend bumping this voltage on the CPU and overclocking it a little to 3.8-3.9

Reply to Thread