cmohr
    SG Member

Current Political Climate

As we're approaching the 2020 election, and with Trump getting impeached, I feel like this is the most tense the political climate has been since like the Red Scare. It used to be that politics was kept separate from personal life, but it seems like more and more that line is getting blurred. I read a comment on Instagram the other day where someone said that they were a landlord, and didn't rent to Trump supporters, thus willingly losing money and potential tenants because of people's political opinions. It's getting to the point where if you have any opinion that differs from someone then they automatically don't like you. People are becoming so intolerant towards other views. In some colleges now, you can get punished for saying an opinion that could be deemed "biased or offensive" to someone. There are designated "free speech zones" the size of maybe two parking spaces where you can voice your opinions. Even on this server, although it's not the same, it's like when I posted about my favorite bands, and people got all angry. Obviously to some degree there is joking there but I feel like things like that happen too often in our society. People just need to stop getting so offended at everything and tolerate opinions that aren't the same as theirs. Differing opinions are what allows us to expand our horizons, to have our assumptions challenged. Progress cannot be made if we restrict the free flow of ideas and the conflict between opposing views. It's how we learn. It doesn't matter what side you're on either. Both Liberals and Conservatives are guilty of this. Something needs to change or our freedom of speech is at risk. Not to mention that Jeffery Epstein didn't kill himself. I've said my piece.

Kieran
    Certified Gamer
    I’ve never heard of a college or university punish someone for that, unless it’s like a private. Where did you hear about this? If it’s a public university they should be allowed to say whatever they want. I know at my school we have some hippies come from time to time and condemn gay people to hell and call masturbators sinners and shit like that. Private colleges are allowed to have their own restrictions I think, could be wrong though.

Pretty much all the tension can be pointed to the growth of media. Mainstream and social media have a huge influence in our everyday lives, including increased exposure to politics. That increased exposure gets people more involved in politics, and political tension results from that constant talk of politics around us. Not a bad thing to be informed, but some people just aren’t mature enough to understand difference of opinion and tolerance of that.

Also sort of weird for you to claim it hasn’t been this tense since the Red Scare considering you weren’t around then to experience past political climates, let alone the Red Scare.

cmohr
    SG Member
    In many universities it is policy that you cannot question someone's opinion on the basis that they might be offended. FIRE conducted research and found that 9 in every 10 universities have policies that "clearly and substantially" restrict free speech. Almost 800,000 students have to go to these "Free Speech Zones" so that they don't offend anyone. I referred to the Red Scare 'cause people then also would tend to judge people off of their political beliefs rather than keeping it private. Granted I wasn't alive then but I know that it's the most tense now that it has been since I was born, and a lot of people I've talked to feel the same. I encourage you to look at some of FIRE's (Foundation for Individual Rights in Education) resources if you wanna learn more.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cmohr For This Useful Post:
    Kieran (12-21-2019)

idealist
    Dazed and Confused

I'm not offended by anyone's political opinions or personal taste stuff like music, you have a right to believe what you want to believe even if it is dumb as fuck. I will judge the shit out of you and call you a retard if you have shitty/uneducated opinions and try to push those though.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to idealist For This Useful Post:
    BoM (12-23-2019), Cept For Her (12-21-2019), Creten (12-21-2019), Greggy G (12-21-2019), John (12-21-2019), Strayyz (12-21-2019), Takuto (12-21-2019), Tyymunk (12-21-2019)

roux

[DATA EXPUNGED]

Quote Originally Posted by idealist View Post
    I'm not offended by anyone's political opinions or personal taste stuff like music, you have a right to believe what you want to believe even if it is dumb as fuck. I will judge the shit out of you and call you a retard if you have shitty/uneducated opinions and try to push those though.
    And unfortunately, everyone has an opinion regardless of the events, context, and facts. Headlines are worth more than thorough research, and emotions drive politics. Without getting too cynical, this has just been spiraling downwards and I don't see anyway up.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to roux For This Useful Post:
    Creten (12-21-2019), idealist (12-21-2019), John (12-21-2019)

cmohr
    SG Member
    Quote Originally Posted by idealist View Post
    It's fine to judge people based on their opinions. My point is that a lot of people today would rather just strip people of their right to free speech and not let them share their opinions at all. Even the dumb opinions help us learn, cause that's the thing. Our country is a diverse country and there's a lot of diverse opinions. Sometimes opinions that may sound dumb at first are just a different perspective that you may not have considered.

BoM
    Quote Originally Posted by cmohr View Post
    It's fine to judge people based on their opinions. My point is that a lot of people today would rather just strip people of their right to free speech and not let them share their opinions at all. Even the dumb opinions help us learn, cause that's the thing. Our country is a diverse country and there's a lot of diverse opinions. Sometimes opinions that may sound dumb at first are just a different perspective that you may not have considered.
    Yeah free speech, great and all, but let's not just use that to polish a turd and argue an opinion is worthwhile. In politics, and in many other social situations, there is an expected level of education on the subject matter. If the speaker is clearly uneducated or simply speaking ones emotion without any factual statements, they will be deemed unworthy to speak on the matter. That's not shutting down someone's freedom of speech or not seeing a different perspective, it's simply an intellectual measure. Do not let a fool convince you that he is the wise man, for then you are also a fool.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BoM For This Useful Post:
    roux (12-23-2019)

cmohr
    SG Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoM View Post
    Yeah free speech, great and all, but let's not just use that to polish a turd and argue an opinion is worthwhile. In politics, and in many other social situations, there is an expected level of education on the subject matter. If the speaker is clearly uneducated or simply speaking ones emotion without any factual statements, they will be deemed unworthy to speak on the matter. That's not shutting down someone's freedom of speech or not seeing a different perspective, it's simply an intellectual measure. Do not let a fool convince you that he is the wise man, for then you are also a fool.
    Not all opinions are worthwhile. Some, actually i'd argue most, are uneducated. Still, freedom of speech is essential to a free society. As Oscar Wilde once said, “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.”