Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Matty
    Honorable Gamer

Racism and SG

Just to preface, I'm not really active on anything other than mg and surf (which doesn't have too big of a playerbase) so this basically is an mg only perspective but I assume it also applies elsewhere, correct me if I'm wrong. Ever since the advent of the rules to allow to the n word, SG has become pretty blatantly racist. Basically every day I play is filled with kids and regulars throwing "nigger" around left and right, quite often as an insult. Even with admins present, nobody does anything. It's just become part of the server, and it's honestly really gross. I understand the racism stance has been clarified more than a few times already, but I feel something else has to be done. My own take on this is to just disallow the hard R completely. It's the most heinous slur in the history of the United States, and while it technically can be used in non-racist ways such as historical fiction, it's never going to apply to SG. The only time people use the hard R is to be overly edgy and offensive.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Matty For This Useful Post:
    Cody. (11-08-2019)

urp
    VSCO Boy
    Racism is allowed on the servers as long as it is not being used to harass or disrespect someone. If someone is blatantly going out and spitting racial slurs at people, they very well could be punished, and if you see it happening the way you described it, you could make a player complaint.

Matty
    Honorable Gamer
    Quote Originally Posted by urp View Post
    Racism is allowed on the servers as long as it is not being used to harass or disrespect someone

Please think about what you just said.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Matty For This Useful Post:
    Strayyz (11-08-2019), thuxys (11-08-2019), Turtlefiish (11-09-2019), Uno (11-09-2019)

urp
    VSCO Boy
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty View Post
    I know what I just said. And I’m referring to someone saying “What’s up my nigga”, not blatantly going out to insult someone with racial slurs.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to urp For This Useful Post:
    Cody. (11-08-2019)

nesquik
    lets go
    Racism is allowed as casual slang, not saying that you hate certain races or making fun of/harassing other people. People say racial slurs as slang all the time, most commonly the n-word, and this is the internet, they should be allowed to be themselves on here without worrying about getting in trouble. As long as someone says seriously to stop harassing them with racial slurs or if they are directing hate towards certain races it’s fine.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to nesquik For This Useful Post:
    Dong (11-08-2019)

Matty
    Honorable Gamer
    I know what I just said. And I’m referring to someone saying “What’s up my nigga”, not blatantly going out to insult someone with racial slurs.
    This thread isn't about the casual use of nigga, which I have no issue with. It's about people calling others "stupid fucking niggers", spamming "nigger" over mic, and naming their knives "nick gur". Nigga has it's place as previously mentioned, these do not in my opinion.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Matty For This Useful Post:
    Cody. (11-08-2019)

urp
    VSCO Boy
    This thread isn't about the casual use of nigga, which I have no issue with.
    With this thread, you brought up racism on the servers being a problem, which I pointed out in a response that harassment through racial slurs isn’t allowed and can be punishable and report.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to urp For This Useful Post:
    Cody. (11-08-2019)

Noxstar
    Modder

Racism is allowed on the servers as long as it is not being used to harass or disrespect someone. If someone is blatantly going out and spitting racial slurs at people, they very well could be punished, and if you see it happening the way you described it, you could make a player complaint.
    The fact that it's racist is the main problem. You try to push problems aside like this and you ignore the fact that what Matty said was right, SG has become pretty blatantly racist. I gotta say I've become pretty racist myself and I can't put blame (the entire thing) on SG. Admins now so far I've seen are so hard set on rules that they are just too scared to deal with admin discretion and this is definitely one of them. Urp, I know you've been on the server when they are filled with kids and regulars throwing the n word around and as stated, quite often as an insult. I don't mind it falling under harassment and keeping the casual racism slang but I gotta agree that we should just throw out the hard R.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Noxstar For This Useful Post:
    BoM (11-08-2019), Uno (11-09-2019)

Matty
    Honorable Gamer
    With this thread, you brought up racism on the servers being a problem, which I pointed out in a response that harassment through racial slurs isn’t allowed and can be punishable and report.
    And evidently you didn't actually read my post in which I specifically mentioned the hard R.

edit: Whoops, misread this, but it doesn't change my point. Of course I can make a complaint, but if none of the admins are doing anything then what's the point? May as well just blanket allow racism at this point.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Matty For This Useful Post:
    Noxstar (11-08-2019)

thuxys
    SG Player
    Either you completely accept the word on SG servers or you dont. There shouldn't be a gray area at all when it comes to saying the N-word. They took the extra step to remove the hard R in chat. And in my opinion it would be tedious for admins to differentiate the two N-words in voice chat. Beside i can imagine someone maliciously using the N-word without the hard R so whats the point?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to thuxys For This Useful Post:
    TheZZL (11-08-2019)