Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29
  1. #11
    Tyymunk
    ¿


    Tyymunk's Avatar
    Join Date:
    January 2019
    Location:
    Event Horizon
    Posts:
    771
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty View Post
    My own take on this is to just disallow the hard R completely
    Not sure how we would enforce this lol. You want admins to "review the play" and determine if he said nigger or nigga? HUH? This also insinuates that you're okay with nigga which completely destroys your argument about the history of the word (if it's truly that offensive, shouldn't you not be using at all)

  2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tyymunk For This Useful Post:
    Cody. (11-08-2019), Dom (11-08-2019), Infinityward (11-08-2019), kennyy (11-08-2019), thuxys (11-08-2019)

  3. #12
    urp
    VSCO Boy
    urp's Avatar
    Join Date:
    October 2018
    Location:
    New Jersey
    Posts:
    502
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty View Post
    And evidently you didn't actually read my post in which I specifically mentioned the hard R.
    Now I don’t want to keep this going so I’m this is going to be my last response. I did read through the entire thread, and I did see that. I do also acknowledge that racism is a problem. There is in my opinion no reason for the hard r to be used casually, which is why I said that an admin can warn/punish for it, and a player can report it or make a player complaint. Therefore, the hard r is already practically not allowed.

  4. #13
    Noxstar
    Modder

    Noxstar's Avatar
    Join Date:
    December 2018
    Location:
    SDK
    Posts:
    1,013
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyymunk View Post
    Not sure how we would enforce this lol. You want admins to "review the play" and determine if he said nigger or nigga? HUH? This also insinuates that you're okay with nigga which completely destroys your argument about the history of the word (if it's truly that offensive, shouldn't you not be using at all?
    This is the underlying thing behind all of this.
    Racism as an insult is NOT okay
    Racism as a casual slang is ALRIGHT

    It doesn't matter whether it's "nigga" or "nigger", if it contains the content of just being rude then that's the problem. I'm pretty sure that "nigga" is just more associated to casual than insult than the the hard R so I'm guessing that's where that comes from.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Noxstar For This Useful Post:
    Cody. (11-08-2019)

  6. #14
    Charliere
    don't come down
    Charliere's Avatar
    Join Date:
    March 2017
    Posts:
    1,224
    I think the right way to word the rule is that racial slurs and slang is allowed, however racism itself and using slurs to harrass or disrespect others is not. Imo it's weird to say "racism is allowed" when it really isn't. I don't think banning the hard r is going to change anything, because there are so many other words that have a shitty connotation to them as well, it's not going to make much of a difference.
    Going with what you've said in the thread, if they're spamming mic or chat, trying to bend around the rules, harassing others, all of that is punishable. That kind of stuff needs to be handled as such.
    While I agree that maybe we should start cracking down on people throwing it around let and right, I don't agree with banning the word outright. We don't need to be dealing with a bunch of gray areas again, which is the whole reason why they allowed the use of all slangs/slurs in the first place.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Charliere For This Useful Post:
    Strayyz (11-08-2019)

  8. #15
    Matty
    Honorable Gamer
    Matty's Avatar
    Join Date:
    April 2012
    Location:
    Orange County, CA
    Posts:
    1,091
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyymunk View Post
    Not sure how we would enforce this lol. You want admins to "review the play" and determine if he said nigger or nigga? HUH? This also insinuates that you're okay with nigga which completely destroys your argument about the history of the word (if it's truly that offensive, shouldn't you not be using at all)
    The historical connotations of nigger are nigga are undeniably so far off and it's pretty gross of you to claim otherwise. Nigga has non-maliciously become a part of the vocabulary of a large number of people, and you can't deny otherwise. As for your first point, it's not that hard with context. You can easily tell the difference between someone coming on and going "what's up my nigga" and "shut up nigger", which the latter of the two is what happens every day with admins doing nothing as I've previously mentioned.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Matty For This Useful Post:
    Cody. (11-08-2019)

  10. #16
    urp
    VSCO Boy
    urp's Avatar
    Join Date:
    October 2018
    Location:
    New Jersey
    Posts:
    502
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty View Post
    The historical connotations of nigger are nigga are undeniably so far off and it's pretty gross of you to claim otherwise. Nigga has non-maliciously become a part of the vocabulary of a large number of people, and you can't deny otherwise. As for your first point, it's not that hard with context. You can easily tell the difference between someone coming on and going "what's up my nigga" and "shut up nigger", which the latter of the two is what happens every day with admins doing nothing as I've previously mentioned.
    Ik I said I was done but I just need to point out that if someone on the servers is going “fuck u nigger” or “you’re such a fucking nigger”, admins should be doing something about that, as that is against the rules.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to urp For This Useful Post:
    Cody. (11-08-2019)

  12. #17
    Takuto
    Community Advisor
    Takuto's Avatar
    Join Date:
    August 2016
    Location:
    Hello! from The Oven
    Posts:
    1,324
    If one racial slur is banned why shouldn't the rest of the racial slurs be banned or another form of the word be banned, they are all still considered a racial slur and can be used in a similar way as an N word with an R. Most of the slurs have some type of history behind it even if people in this current day and age haven't learned about it.


    I think that a lot of admins have been more lenient with the use of racial slurs currently as there is no clear line as to what to punish for and what not to, as it's just mainly based off of the admins perception what is considered harassment and what isn't.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Takuto For This Useful Post:
    Kopsta (11-08-2019)

  14. #18
    Tyymunk
    ¿


    Tyymunk's Avatar
    Join Date:
    January 2019
    Location:
    Event Horizon
    Posts:
    771
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty View Post
    The historical connotations of nigger are nigga are undeniably so far off and it's pretty gross of you to claim otherwise. Nigga has non-maliciously become a part of the vocabulary of a large number of people, and you can't deny otherwise. As for your first point, it's not that hard with context. You can easily tell the difference between someone coming on and going "what's up my nigga" and "shut up nigger", which the latter of the two is what happens every day with admins doing nothing as I've previously mentioned.
    It's the same word? I don't understand how you can logically draw that conclusion? Both have the same underlying meaning do they not, regardless of how society uses the words...

    As far as determine between nigga and nigger, it's pointless and absolutely unnecessary. I as well as probably a ton of admins don't want to have to deal with determining the difference of a single fucking vowel. That right there is a waste of time.

  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tyymunk For This Useful Post:
    Cody. (11-08-2019), Kopsta (11-08-2019)

  16. #19
    Matty
    Honorable Gamer
    Matty's Avatar
    Join Date:
    April 2012
    Location:
    Orange County, CA
    Posts:
    1,091
    Quote Originally Posted by Takuto View Post
    If one racial slur is banned why shouldn't the rest of the racial slurs be banned or another form of the word be banned, they are all still considered a racial slur and can be used in a similar way as an N word with an R.

    I think that a lot of admins have been more lenient with the use of racial slurs currently as there is no clear line as to what to punish for and what not to, as it's just mainly based off of the admins perception what is considered harassment and what isn't.
    I do really get your first point, they're all bad on varying levels, but the main reason I made this thread is because the N word itself is the problem, at least for now. I wouldn't be exaggerating if I said I heard the hard R 100x more than other slurs on SG.

  17. #20
    Kieran
    Certified Gamer
    Kieran's Avatar
    Join Date:
    June 2018
    Location:
    Bucks County, Pennsylvania
    Posts:
    607
    As a white heterosexual male, my opinion might not be fair as I am not targeted by the racists. However, I am fine with the current state of the rules. Most admins usually can tell when the use of the word nigger (or any variation of it) is getting out of hand and deal with it promptly, and you can always report it when it's being used disrespectfully.

  18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Kieran For This Useful Post:
    Cody. (11-08-2019), Duffy (11-08-2019), English (11-08-2019), Infinityward (11-08-2019), kennyy (11-08-2019), Noxstar (11-08-2019), Strayyz (11-08-2019), Tyymunk (11-08-2019)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •