View Poll Results: Should corporations be limited in using and collecting data?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am satisfied with the ways in which they are being limited

0 0%
  • I am dissatisfied and I wish to see more action

6 60.00%
  • I am dissatisfied and I wish to see less action

1 10.00%
  • I do not have an opinion on the topic

3 30.00%
    finna
    SG Player

Should We Embrace Supercomputers?

I'm not making this post to seem edgy, but with the recent events and progresses in corporate America, I am seriously thinking about whether or not the capitalist system is working for us or for the corporations (I get that it works for the corporations, but I believe it is growing evermore obvious). If you haven't been keeping up with recent updates in the corporate world, Google has recently "unveiled" a project they have been working on for multiple years at this point, that being a quantum computer. With this quantum computer, I fear that the consumer is more at risk that ever; think about the ability to collect and harness the data that corporations have. Even with just the mention of a few key words, your phone and computer can advertise specifically tailored products (i.e. saying "dog" may result in dog products showing up in your ad space), and that's just with normal networking. Corporations have the ability to track your every movement and create "schedules" by which they know you follow, which is scary enough, but I must wonder: how much more can my data be abused with quantum computers? In case you hadn't heard, Google claims that it can do a task in 200 seconds that would take a high caliber supercomputer nearly 10,000 years to do. This means a 1:1576800000 ratio of efficiency. I do recognize that Google had selected this scenario to present out of many because of how good it made their quantum computers seem, but even the sheer computing power of this beast-of-a-machine is scary to me. While this breakthrough may seem like a revolution in science (and I am not doubting its magnitude), to the normal Joe Schmoe like you and I, this will most likely mean the increased control of our space by corporations. Furthermore, we don't know what this new technology could entail, and for all we know, its ability could grow into something seen in only works of fiction fiction, such as an AI Megamind of sorts, which God knows what would mean for us. As far as we know, this technology could be used to create a corporation owned world in which corporations operate in a Black Mirror-esque fashion, taking up our vision with advertisements and surveys. Think of how ridiculous it would be to be in a taxi and your vision is suddenly interrupted by a pop-up of sorts saying, "We'll let you continue to see in just a moment, but first, please answer this survey brought to you by Coca-Cola". While it may seem absurd, this is the closest it's ever been in society to happening, and with the rapid, exponential increase in innovation, it is only a matter of time before government is completely controlled by corporations. Which brings me to my next point; if there would be an attempt to regulate supercomputers in Congress, do you really think that it would be passed? Given that corporate lobbyists are at their peak, even with an entire society dedicated to feeding "ideas" to these legislatures, could a bill regulating the use and potential of supercomputers realistically be established?

*Not exactly sure if this would go into Politics, though I was interested in hearing your feedback.

shoiep
    Tsubame Gaeshi
    now my dreams of having a robot wife can come true

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shoiep For This Useful Post:
    Korean Ninja (10-24-2019), nick (10-24-2019)

finna
    SG Player
    Not very funny bro...was expecting more out of you. I mean, you do know that those are basically already a thing, right?

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to finna For This Useful Post:
    Kopsta (10-23-2019), Poke (10-23-2019), roux (10-23-2019)

shoiep
    Tsubame Gaeshi
    Quote Originally Posted by finna View Post
    was expecting more out of you
    this was your first mistake

7. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to shoiep For This Useful Post:
    Bacon (10-23-2019), DancingMoonLight (10-23-2019), Dom (10-23-2019), fantastic (10-23-2019), Frostbitten (10-23-2019), Kieran (10-30-2019), Kopsta (10-23-2019), Korean Ninja (10-24-2019), Minus (10-23-2019), Poke (10-23-2019), Ray (10-24-2019), roux (10-23-2019), Strayyz (10-23-2019), TheZZL (10-23-2019), Trazz (10-23-2019)

Dom
    Le Big Marc
    googles been listening for a few years now. talking about shit out loud affects the ads you get. theres a bunch of videos of this on youtube. i went thru a breakup a couple months ago and one of the first things i saw on youtube was an ad for a video at the very top of my feed on “how to get over a breakup”. ive never searched that shit in my life and suddenly im getting ads within a couple days. im sure you’ve probably heard of the father who found out his daughter was pregnant through Target. if not search it up. if youve ever done those dna tests they prob got your dna locked up somewhere ready to use. all this shit with big corporations and the gov is sketchy.

TheZZL
    VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dom View Post
    im sure you’ve probably heard of the father who found out his daughter was pregnant through Target. if not search it up. if youve ever done those dna tests they prob got your dna locked up somewhere ready to use. all this shit with big corporations and the gov is sketchy.
    Alright man relax with the tinfoil hat. The story with the father finding out the daughter was pregnant was because of the daughters search history. Yes, your searches and shopping habits are recorded and used but not in the way you think. Companies have been using customer data for years to find out how to make their businesses more profitable (googles search history recommendations, any grocery stores rewards program tracks your buying and spending habits, etc.).