Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    idealist
    Dazed and Confused

Morally reprehensible behavior from blizzard.

Contractually they were in the right to remove the player from competition, however, you now have a division within your own company that does not trust your leadership's decision making skills judging by the employee walk out staged yesterday. Overall I think blizzard made the wrong decision here but money is money

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to idealist For This Useful Post:
    BoM (10-10-2019), Korean Ninja (10-10-2019), Phoenix_ (10-10-2019), Strayyz (10-10-2019)

Fuze
    Slayer of Grandmas
    Quote Originally Posted by idealist View Post
    Morally reprehensible behavior from blizzard.

Contractually they were in the right to remove the player from competition, however, you now have a division within your own company that does not trust your leadership's decision making skills judging by the employee walk out staged yesterday. Overall I think blizzard made the wrong decision here but money is money
    Hard to win a moral battle when you have plaques that say "Every voice matters" and then ban someone and take all their prize money for using it. Capitalistic wise your right good move for the company, PR guy punching air right now though

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fuze For This Useful Post:
    BoM (10-10-2019), fantastic (10-10-2019), Phoenix_ (10-10-2019), roux (10-10-2019), SilentGuns (10-11-2019), TheZZL (10-12-2019)

Wawa
    Where's the gamers?
    Blizzard's official statement as of late Friday (the best time to release a statement that is laced with bullshit):

https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/bliz...ers-tournament

"The specific views expressed by blitzchung were NOT a factor in the decision we made. I want to be clear: our relationships in China had no influence on our decision."

Is it really fair to call something a lie when it is served to you so blatantly that you almost feel like Ashton Kutcher is about to deliver the ultimate punk'd to us all?

Matty
    Honorable Gamer
    Quote Originally Posted by Wawa View Post
    Blizzard's official statement as of late Friday (the best time to release a statement that is laced with bullshit):

https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/bliz...ers-tournament

"The specific views expressed by blitzchung were NOT a factor in the decision we made. I want to be clear: our relationships in China had no influence on our decision."

Is it really fair to call something a lie when it is served to you so blatantly that you almost feel like Ashton Kutcher is about to deliver the ultimate punk'd to us all?
    Interesting how little thought they gave to the commentators. Would almost be hilarious if the implications weren't terrifying

Dom
    Le Big Marc
    im not the most educated on this topic but from reading these responses i would assume most people are in support of the hong kong protestors. ive seen the idea to boycott blizzard or whatever the company is and not buy/play any of their games. out of curiosity would anyone here also “boycott” the nba for their recent actions? again, i dont know too much about this topic so i could be completely wrong, but from what ive read it seems like blizzard and the nba both chose profit over human rights and im just wondering if the same standards apply to both of them for anyone that believes we shouldnt buy/play blizzards games anymore.

Phoenix_
    Community Advisor

Quote Originally Posted by Dom View Post
    im not the most educated on this topic but from reading these responses i would assume most people are in support of the hong kong protestors. ive seen the idea to boycott blizzard or whatever the company is and not buy/play any of their games. out of curiosity would anyone here also “boycott” the nba for their recent actions? again, i dont know too much about this topic so i could be completely wrong, but from what ive read it seems like blizzard and the nba both chose profit over human rights and im just wondering if the same standards apply to both of them for anyone that believes we shouldnt buy/play blizzards games anymore.
    I don't believe the actions taken by the NBA would warrant people to "boycott" them. That's not to say the actions they took weren't reprimandable, but they were nowhere near the level of what Blizzard did. To my knowledge, all the NBA and the Rockets' GM did was delete the tweet and issue an apology. No one was punished, and they're trying to distance themselves from the situation and repair what they had with China. Does this warrant a negative response from the American people? For sure, they're still folding to the Chinese way of thinking on freedom of speech since their market there is so large. Also, it is far less plausible that a boycott of the NBA would happen since they are such a larger company than Blizzard.

thump
    SG Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix_ View Post
    I don't believe the actions taken by the NBA would warrant people to "boycott" them. That's not to say the actions they took weren't reprimandable, but they were nowhere near the level of what Blizzard did. To my knowledge, all the NBA and the Rockets' GM did was delete the tweet and issue an apology. No one was punished, and they're trying to distance themselves from the situation and repair what they had with China. Does this warrant a negative response from the American people? For sure, they're still folding to the Chinese way of thinking on freedom of speech since their market there is so large. Also, it is far less plausible that a boycott of the NBA would happen since they are such a larger company than Blizzard.
    If what I heard was correct, the owner of the Houston Rockets was thinking about firing the gm for his actions, but nothing happened. That would have been the worst of what happened if it did, but nothing too huge came out of it other than Qing James calling him uneducated and a bunch of people and NBA players calling him out on his hypocrisy. His hypocrisy, in case you don't know, is that he tweeted a quote from MLK I think a year prior which said "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere", so people are calling him out on not defending the Chinese protesters, which he really should be doing if he is truly a proponent for justice everywhere and the right to free speech. I personally think that his decision to come out and say that is stupid, because while it may help his marketing in China, his American supporters will not regard him as the great role model they once thought he was. Also, I've seen people compare him to Muhammad Ali because of his support for people like Kaepernick who were willing to take punishments in order to stand up for what is right, but clearly James isn't willing to do that himself. Some of this is just speculation off the top of my head, so you don't have to agree with me just an opinion. Would be great to hear what others think on this topic though.

Edit: Read a little more into this and wanted to add on to some of the hypocrisy. The LeBron that most people believed to be a good role model and someone who spoke out for the rights of people was the LeBron that spoke out for Trayvon Martin and spoke out against Donald Trump. He was known to be someone who voiced his opinion and tried to defend the rights of the people on topics like police brutality, and yet he stays silent when it comes to talking down on a big business for him. The way I see it, LeBron put money before the freedom of speech, and that is what tarnishes his reputation for me.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to thump For This Useful Post:
    Phoenix_ (10-16-2019)

Dom
    Le Big Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by thump View Post
    If what I heard was correct, the owner of the Houston Rockets was thinking about firing the gm for his actions, but nothing happened. That would have been the worst of what happened if it did, but nothing too huge came out of it other than Qing James calling him uneducated and a bunch of people and NBA players calling him out on his hypocrisy. His hypocrisy, in case you don't know, is that he tweeted a quote from MLK I think a year prior which said "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere", so people are calling him out on not defending the Chinese protesters, which he really should be doing if he is truly a proponent for justice everywhere and the right to free speech. I personally think that his decision to come out and say that is stupid, because while it may help his marketing in China, his American supporters will not regard him as the great role model they once thought he was. Also, I've seen people compare him to Muhammad Ali because of his support for people like Kaepernick who were willing to take punishments in order to stand up for what is right, but clearly James isn't willing to do that himself. Some of this is just speculation off the top of my head, so you don't have to agree with me just an opinion. Would be great to hear what others think on this topic though.
    saw people burning #23 lakers jerseys in china lol, i dont think hes gained much popularity there except with maybe the government. then again, pretty sure he made money from those jersey sales so maybe hes a marketing genius. maybe we should add him to the (hopefully brought back) SG Marketing team.

Fuze
    Slayer of Grandmas
    This whole situation just keeps shining a light on all the truly corrupt people. For example with the NBA/China situation. NBA league and players have always advocated for social justice going so far as calling their commander and chief a bum. Cause orange guy bad sells. But speaking up about an oppressive government that is in direct contrast with what Americans consider to be basic fundamental rights is out of line and you are most likely uneducated according to LeBron if you speak out in support of hong Kong. Mostly because he's going to now make a few less million dollars. I'm really enjoying watching this blow up in everyone's face who advocates for social justice when it doesn't affect their pockets. LeBron has been quoted saying "injustice anywhere is a threat to justice anywhere" but not in this case.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Fuze For This Useful Post:
    Phoenix_ (10-18-2019)