Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    fantastic
    Administrative Team

I'm not as informed on Canadian politics as I should be so I'm keen to devote some time into researching areas that people feel the current government hasn't done a good job in. @roux can you elaborate why the Trudeau government left a "sour taste" in your mouth? I probably won't vote for PC and NDP is a little too left for me in terms of some of the goals and policies they want to implement.

Eskomo
    True North
    Yeah gonna vote for whoever has the best chance at stopping a PC government, looks like Liberals at this moment in time. Gotta be pragmatic you know?

Would probably vote NDP otherwise (I did in the last federal + provincial election).

I do like that our election is only 35 days long lol... in the US it's like a year and a half. I don't feel too invested in the Canadian election though. Even tonight I've been watching the democratic primary debate rather than the Canadian leader debate that is apparently happening tonight as well.

roux

[DATA EXPUNGED]

Quote Originally Posted by fantastic View Post
    I'm not as informed on Canadian politics as I should be so I'm keen to devote some time into researching areas that people feel the current government hasn't done a good job in. @roux can you elaborate why the Trudeau government left a "sour taste" in your mouth? I probably won't vote for PC and NDP is a little too left for me in terms of some of the goals and policies they want to implement.
    Forgot to respond, my bad

Mainly his pipelines, the SNC-Lavalin corruption/whatever the fuck that was situation, his failed vote reform (that he did not even bother trying to do, just sweeped it under the rug as soon as he got majority), and smaller things. I would still rather vote Trudeau than Scheer.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to roux For This Useful Post:
    BoM (09-15-2019), fantastic (09-15-2019)

IntenseFajita
    In tents Fayeeta
    https://time.com/5680759/justin-trud...ownface-photo/

Oh no... oh.. oh god. He's done. This is the worst sin a progressive can commit. Can he recover from his past?

Eskomo
    True North
    Quote Originally Posted by IntenseFajita View Post
    https://time.com/5680759/justin-trud...ownface-photo/

Oh no... oh.. oh god. He's done. This is the worst sin a progressive can commit. Can he recover from his past?
    Justin Trudeau is not a progressive lol, he's a centrist. The liberal party in Canada are center-left.

He's had a lot of stuff thrown at him the past year or so and aggregate polling still shows him winning the election this fall. Hard to predict whether this will cause enough of dent in support or if that dent will last til election day.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eskomo For This Useful Post:
    roux (Today)

IntenseFajita
    In tents Fayeeta
    Trudeau supports things like: pro-choice, climate change policy, marijuana legalization, universal healthcare, increasing immigration, the LGBT movement, and feminism - to name a few.

That's a progressive/liberal by American standards. What makes him not a progressive in your opinion? I don't know a whole lot about the differences between our political spectrums, so maybe it's just a misunderstanding of perceived definitions.

And yeah, this probably won't hurt him, I'm just taking the piss.

EDIT: In general, I meant it was the worst sin that a person held up as a "left-leaning individual" can make. We can argue the semantics, but I fear that discussion would derail the topic.

roux

[DATA EXPUNGED]

Quote Originally Posted by IntenseFajita View Post
    Trudeau supports things like: pro-choice, climate change policy, marijuana legalization, universal healthcare, increasing immigration, the LGBT movement, and feminism - to name a few.

That's a progressive/liberal by American standards. What makes him not a progressive in your opinion? I don't know a whole lot about the differences between our political spectrums, so maybe it's just a misunderstanding of perceived definitions.

And yeah, this probably won't hurt him, I'm just taking the piss.

EDIT: In general, I meant it was the worst sin that a person held up as a "left-leaning individual" can make. We can argue the semantics, but I fear that discussion would derail the topic.
    See red^

Abortions have been decriminalized since the 80s in Canada, Marijuana was (indeed) legalized under his first term, our healthcare system has been here for decades. Canada's potential issues with immigration are vastly different than the America's, and since there is only one "right wing" party in Canada, the vast majority of citizens support LGBTQ/feminism movements, to various extents (Same-sex mariage has been legal for 15±5 years in most provinces, and homosexuality decriminalized for 50 years-ish)

Obama might've been a "liberal" for America, but some of* his policies are closer to what the Canadian liberals would have suggested in the 40's through 60's, due to how our public system was made. The spectrum for the two countries is far from one another, hence why Eskomo does not see Trudeau as being progressive.

Don't fool yourself with his good looks though, JT aint anything close to an ecologist/green.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to roux For This Useful Post:
    Eskomo (Today), IntenseFajita (Today)