? servers

? players online

Individually Opening Cells

• Content Count:  1583

When I was first getting into mapping, I toyed around planning out maps. One of the ideas I had, was to make a JB map with individually opening cells. My schedule has become more hectic recently, so I don't see myself making a fully fledged map in the near future, but this is a feature I wouldn't mind porting into one of some of our already existing maps.

My questions are: is this something you guys would want, is it something that would work with our server, and is it something that we'd be able to do within the rules?

Fo instance, if on Razer, main cells opened separate from VIP cells, would two Cats be able to lead the groups independently without it counting as special orders (which are revokable), is it something that you guys could see put to use on the server, and would our server be able to handle CTs controlling two separate groups?

I'd like to think this would add more variety to rounds, but we often have trouble when one group is playing a consensual deathgame, and another is being given orders. Eager to hear what you guys think about this, and what maps this could be implemented on.

• Content Count:  2342

@Gentoo can you clarify what you mean by "individually opening cells"? Do you mean what you said in your example where certain areas have cells that open together, or do you mean each door has its own button for CTs to open/close?

Will talk with the team about this and refrain from posting my own comments for now - others can feel free to post <:>

• Content Count:  1583

@Gentoo can you clarify what you mean by "individually opening cells"? Do you mean what you said in your example where certain areas have cells that open together, or do you mean each door has its own button for CTs to open/close?

When I first started building cells for a map with this feature, each cell could be opened individually by CTs by pressing E on it, like a door, while the cell button opened all of the cells. I think the best implementation, however, would be to divide cells up into groups (Main Cell/VIPs, Bottom Cells/Top Cells), so that is what I am referring to in this thread unless someone has a genius idea as to why we should use the primary implementation.

• Content Count:  536

I don’t see this being very practical. It could definitely lead to some interesting rounds and could benefit the CT’s but I just don’t see it working. I know VIP has something like this, where you can open the main cells or VIP or both, but that doesn’t usually do anything other than make people made if one of the cells isn’t opened. I like the idea of having two groups but I don’t think this is the way to do it. There’s also so many other factors that can make this more confusing as maybe new players don’t know where to go, people conflicting with other orders, etc. Would be a cool feature but like I said, not super practical.

• Content Count:  2206

As far as I know this is a map thing. You'd have to use stripper to put buttons that individually control each cell and I don't think anyone is willing to do that. Otherwise you'd need to decompile the map and add the buttons. Maybe there's a plugin that manages buttons for cell doors I vaguely remember looking through plugins and finding some cell button related plugin but I'd have to go back in and find it.

EDIT: https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=264100 I think this plugin would help what you are talking about become a reality if I'm understanding correctly

Edited by Fuze

• Content Count:  697

I think that this feature could be a cool idea, being able to handle a certain amount of t's at a time, being able to follow someone through a cell secret without opening all cells, locking off some cells if nessecary, etc... it definitely has some good concepts behind it but I feel that in practice it will not be as good as intended, if and when it gets added how many cts would actually use this? It isn't as though giving a basic first order doesn't handle the t's there isn't a real reason that a ct would use this new option over opening all cells. Also I feel that it would get forgotten quite quickly, it isn't like it would tremendously help but rather be a nicety that if you happen to need it in a one off situation it is there. Also once you consider the amount of work adding this function to the maps would take I feel that it isn't worth adding.

Overall it is a good idea but it wouldn't help that much and the work out weighs the little it would help.

• Content Count:  11501

Not sure who’s an old school player, but there’s only one map I’ve ever seen have this: Fox River. It was honestly super hectic, and we’d have to throw a grenade at the base of the switches to trigger them all open. Even if you included the ability to open all or close all as well, the individual cell thing was never used except for cells that had secrets. I would honestly say it’s not worth your time. Just my opinion though.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  2579

Not sure who’s an old school player, but there’s only one map I’ve ever seen have this: Fox River. It was honestly super hectic, and we’d have to throw a grenade at the base of the switches to trigger them all open. Even if you included the ability to open all or close all as well, the individual cell thing was never used except for cells that had secrets. I would honestly say it’s not worth your time. Just my opinion though.

^this

I don't see how you can make it practical to have 10+ buttons in a room. Sure, you could make a open/close all button on the side, but it's a ridiculous amount of work for the very few maps this *could* be beneficial on. If you're making your own map, do what you want, but it's not that much of a practical issue in most cases, since CTs have the power to order a freeze if they want a cell check.

• Content Count:  299

This is unnecessary. This would also make it weird as you would have one group of t out of the cells following the order while another wait in their cells. Then at a latter point told the same order or to give a new order in which the second group of ts wouldn't even follow the first. I feel this wouldn't be needed and would take up more time getting out of cells rather than you could have just opened up the cells and given everyone the same order.

Fo instance, if on Razer, main cells opened separate from VIP cells, would two Cats be able to lead the groups independently without it counting as special orders (which are revokable), is it something that you guys could see put to use on the server, and would our server be able to handle CTs controlling two separate groups?

As for this, this would make each round more chaotic and lead to more freekilling. It is already an issue on the server for Cts to give orders over everyone talking. Now you have two cts giving orders at the same time. This would lead to confusion as to who is supposed to be where and someone would end up being killed even though they were following the orders.

This is an interesting idea, but for our server I don't see it truly helping out that much.

• Like 1
Edited by HAXOR

• Content Count:  958

i like the idea of individually opening cells but i think it could be really hard to implement and have it work properly. it would take more teamwork from cts to make sure the guy opening cells doesnt get killed in the process. if theres only a few cts that could be hard to manage so because of that plus how time consuming it would be i think there should definitely be a button that opens sections (all cells, top, bottom, VIP, etc.) I think there could also be an issue with cts fighting over control of different groups of T’s. for example if theres 2-3 cts that claim control over VIP cell T’s and some other CT who’s supervising bottom main cell T’s starts giving orders to all the other groups with conflicting orders and confusing all the T’s. overall, i think its an interesting idea but it would need more testing and thought put into how it would work before it could be implemented

• Like 1

Reply to Thread