? servers

? players online

2nd Scrim Server.

• Content Count:  701

There were plans for this.

Those plans were scrapped.

I noticed lately that there has been an uptick in players being around on the server. Even if the ones loyal to waiting out a match remains low in numbers (2-4 sitting in spec) I've seen actually quite a few times 15+ players on the 15 capped server. Honestly, I can't even be bothered to join half the time because I see there's tons of specs and the servers already in a live match. I'm sure if two servers did exist, there would be times where both servers get populated as of right now.

I had a lot of considerations prior to being promoted in regards to what to do with scrim and how we could manage two servers separately while retaining population for both, but most of those plans aren't reasonable anymore. With school rolling around the corner, and the other servers we're considering in progress, I don't think we are willing to add a second scrim server as of right now. We've been discussing other options to mitigate the issue of having specs sit around for too long, but unfortunately as of right now it's just in the planning phase. I'll try to keep an eye out on how scrims been population wise and how often people are stuck in spec to see if I need to find any workarounds I can do for it as of now.

Scrim was never really meant to be populated like our other casual servers, since it's not one of those self-sustaining, RP-esque servers, but if we get enough of a competitive player base that wants to scrim, I might be able to make an argument to have two. As of right now, I can only apologize if you aren't able to get into a match with the current rules. I might just look back at the current rules with who stays on post match and revise them. Some things for me to consider I suppose.

@Alex don't speak of that ever again please :thisisnotfine:

• Like 1

• Content Count:  2342

The discussion is still open for anyone to post their thoughts, so I'll post mine :).

Talking with @Exk, it seems the effort required to duplicate the existing scrim server wouldn't be too much and the second scrim server wouldn't be a large burden on the resources we have. While school is starting up soon, it wouldn't hurt to have a second scrim server for a few more weeks just to feed the current demand and reduce wait times. Whether the second scrim server remains after school starts would depend on server population, but for the time being I don't see any harm being done. Scrim is one of those servers that is extremely easy to start up, and it's not like there would be two half-empty servers. People would move to fill one server up before filling up the next, so there's no harm of the servers killing themselves.

tl;dr: Present demand suggests the need for a second scrim server. Whether the demand will stay as a result of school starting soon remains to be seen. To reduce effort wasted in case of the population dying down when school starts, we can duplicate the existing scrim server. The key is to spend as little effort as possible creating a second scrim server before monitoring population and deciding whether we can revamp this server or do more.

• Like 2
Edited by fantastic

• Content Count:  1987

If anything I believe they should have a second scrim server for when there’s scrim related events like this one —> https://www.steam-gamers.net/forum/showthread.php?t=91383&page=7&p=1008820#post1008820

I don’t think the second server would be permanent but to have it in cases for events that might cause a rise in player count for that time period it would be best to have 2 servers so more people can participate in the event.

• Content Count:  2206

Honestly it's hard to say if a second server would fill up. For sure there are times that there's enough people in spec to make a team for another server but we simply don't know if people are not joining because others have status or if they don't feel like watching the current game. I'm sure there are people that fit on both sides but the only way to tell for sure is to open a second server. I think there is definitely merit in having a second server but tbh I think it's more of a summer time thing and at this point in the summer I don't see the point in it.

Edited by Fuze

• Content Count:  30

Having two scrim servers is a good idea and something I think should be added. The thing is that during the summer time there are a lot of people in spec all day usually, and with these people they could most likely fill a second server. Problem is that when summer is over there won't be nearly enough people to fill two whole servers of 10 people, it just won't happen. So for now its not really important, but I still think it's a good idea.

• Content Count:  660

Tbh I havnt scrimmed in like 3 weeks besides the sg open games because it’s always full with like 5 people waiting when I’m able to play (7pm est time ish). And yeah I’m one of those people that’s not gonna sit in spec for 2 hours to get a spot so I don’t bother to join.

Reply to Thread