? servers

? players online

Rotation of Maps

• Content Count:  1952

Maybe a dumb idea, don't really care but I'm thinking for the future. So if we ever have "too many" maps, my suggestion is to make a rotation of a certain amount of maps every so often, maybe a week or something. 2 groups of 25-ish maps in each rotation each containing "1 to 4 big maps" and the rest of the maps are random. These rotations will go back and forth unless we can 3rd rotation and make a shuffle :pepega: This suggestion is mainly for ttt and jailbreak. The whole point of this rotation is to break the top dog map addiction and try to force players to try some of the other maps while still being able to play electric or something.

Rotation #1: 25-ish maps for 1 week maybe closequarters and another big map so that people can still grind these small rdm festivals. Same for jailbreak, electric and maybe like simpsons map. We can have the other "big" or good maps that can also revive server population in rotation #2

Rotation #2: The other 25-ish maps for 1 week vipinthemix and summerjail or other big ttt maps I can't really say off the top off of my head other than skyscraper in this rotation and random maps.

This will probably take ages before we find enough maps that are considered "big server revivers" but if we do I don't think this idea is too bad. Just posting and idk if somebody already suggested this but whatever.

Edited by Noxstar

• Content Count:  2342

Maybe a dumb idea, don't really care but I'm thinking for the future. So if we ever have "too many" maps, my suggestion is to make a rotation of a certain amount of maps every so often, maybe a week or something. 2 groups of 25-ish maps in each rotation each containing "1 to 4 big maps" and the rest of the maps are random. These rotations will go back and forth unless we can 3rd rotation and make a shuffle :pepega: This suggestion is mainly for ttt and jailbreak. The whole point of this rotation is to break the top dog map addiction and try to force players to try some of the other maps while still being able to play electric or something.

Rotation #1: 25-ish maps for 1 week maybe closequarters and another big map so that people can still grind these small rdm festivals. Same for jailbreak, electric and maybe like simpsons map. We can have the other "big" or good maps that can also revive server population in rotation #2

Rotation #2: The other 25-ish maps for 1 week vipinthemix and summerjail or other big ttt maps I can't really say off the top off of my head other than skyscraper in this rotation and random maps.

This will probably take ages before we find enough maps that are considered "big server revivers" but if we do I don't think this idea is too bad. Just posting and idk if somebody already suggested this but whatever.

While I like the idea behind this (introducing players to new maps while having comfort maps to select), my reasoning for not supporting this idea is the same reasoning I'm against removing popular maps like Razor even though they're overplayed. Why should we force players to select from a map pool that they don't enjoy playing? Once those "1-4" big maps are played the only thing left are obscure maps that the majority of the server population don't enjoy playing. So again, while the suggestion has good intent, I feel it's more practical to keep the map pool the way it is and let players choose the maps they want to play as opposed to limiting their options.

While I like the idea behind this (introducing players to new maps while having comfort maps to select), my reasoning for not supporting this idea is the same reasoning I'm against removing popular maps like Razor even though they're overplayed. Why should we force players to select from a map pool that they don't enjoy playing? Once those "1-4" big maps are played the only thing left are obscure maps that the majority of the server population don't enjoy playing. So again, while the suggestion has good intent, I feel it's more practical to keep the map pool the way it is and let players choose the maps they want to play as opposed to limiting their options.

Since this is with the intent for the future. Maybe different maps with the popularity of razor were to ever rise up, we could add it to each rotation as something to "try" out. This was my original idea but it's just a suggestion for later and 25 ish maps isn't really limiting their options if the maps are as big as razor.

• Content Count:  1654

This suggestion or other varieties of this suggestion had been already brought up and discussed in previous threads and at least for TTT, we had always ended up avoiding it for the same reason @fantastic had put. If our server's are doing well in population then one of a few reasons for that would be the maps being played are attracting many people to not only join but then stay. This in general would be a bad way of presenting less popular maps to people as it has the potential of pushing members away to other servers with the same maps we aren't allowing them on. Don't get me wrong, I used to agree with this idea but that was when I was thinking in terms of map interests and not the players interest.

You presented this suggestion towards JB and TTT but I believe other server managers can/should add input to their specific servers so I'll let them do that.

• Like 4

• Content Count:  922

This has already been stated many times in this thread already by the other managers, but I'll say this for Zombie Escape. The playerbase for ZE is only tuned to certain specific maps, and they will only do the ones they like to do. A while back when ZE was very popular, the issue got so bad that players would constantly play the same map over and over again, but as time went on we put a higher restriction on certain map nominations to help cope with this and the issue wasn't as bad anymore. While it is good to play different maps every once in a while so gamemodes don't get stale, the playerbase is the most important part of this. They get to decide which map is the best for the server to some degree and they also choose the one which will be the most fun to them.

I wouldn't necessarily want to have a map rotation like you stated above @Noxstar, but if it gets to the point where the other managers feel like they might need to do something about it, there is nothing wrong with limiting how long you're able to nominate a map for.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  2693

I don't think this would be effective for Surf. Most people who play Surf like playing on their favorite maps and if their favorite maps aren't in rotation, then they will just leave. Surf has 300+ maps and a couple weeks ago I removed around 76 maps that had less than 10 record entries. 56 maps have 100+ record entries which is pretty spectacular. It may seem like having that many maps on the server would result in people playing the same map over and over again, and it does sometimes, but for the most part there is a wide variety of maps being played on the server. I wouldn't want to take away someone's favorite map for a couple of weeks. I'm fine with the current system.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  1583

As someone who has made this suggestion previously (and many variants of it), why don't we meet in the middle? Keep the most popular maps in EVERY pool, and randomize or selectively choose the rest of the maps that go in each pool. The server still gets to keep it's high pop maps, but every once in a while, players will have to choose something unique to play.

Although I did originally have this opinion and forgotten about it, I've started to realize many faults with it and where everyone is coming from and Gentoo's idea of meeting in the middle is something I'm on the fence about so honestly I rescind my previous statement and say that the current system is fine too. Especially after seeing some quieter maps being played more often on jailbreak.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  1920

I will say I don't see there's much point of having this on bhop. It's about completing all the maps and restricting any from play would be rather pointless. There isn't really an issue of too much repetition on bhop since we have so many maps to choose from, it usually has a good variety going and there's rarely an overplayed map.

Reply to Thread