? servers

? players online

Surf Bug/Fix Discussion

• Content Count:  2983

Was talking to @Im Sad and @John and we compiled a list of bugs, and topics that could be under discussion for the Surf Server. In the list I will post an explanation and possibly my opinion on the matter if needed be. (Some already have threads but I think a little mega thread with them would be nice to have a checklist going)

Topics

1. Zoning needs to be fixed in maps

Lot of maps have CP and Zoning problems. Many include utopia with certain ramps having multiple CPs and some ramps not having a CP compared to the one on the opposite side. This can be done pretty easy by just redoing the CP's/zones.

2.Getting slain whenever the map ends

It was mentioned in this thread before, but this is an old way to change the map easily since you used to have to slay the server in order for the round to end. You can tell you don't need to slay anyone because the round ends, then the slay procs and also when you RTV, the map ends and no one gets slain but it still changes.

3. Air Acceleration should be set to 400

I've been on a lot of Surf servers to check the values of sv_airaccelerate and it really just varies on the server. Went on the most populated "Easy" Surf servers (which is what we're currently advertised on the server list) that are public right now and I noticed that they are varied from values to 200, 400, 800 and 1000. Lots of times people will say how they're not used to adjusting to an airaccelerate lower than the other servers and they complain how strafing is harder than others. I think that if our server is being advertised on the community servers tab and gameme as Easy, it should probably be adjusted to the value listed in some websites for settings like this one here.

4. !replay is a VIP feature

For some reason regulars have a problem typing in !replay because it returns the message "You do not have access to this command" because it is a VIP feature. They can easily type !spectate and go to the map replay but I don't understand how the same feature gets blocked if you don't type a certain command and require to pay money for it. Proof (a regular tried doing it on the server).

5. Extend timer to be up for discussion to be lowered

As of now when people click the Extend Map option, it adds an additional 15 minutes towards the timer making it 20 minutes left and 5 for the next map vote. I think the base time should stay the same, but it should only add an additional 5-10 minutes so people don't sit on the same map for about an hour. I assume the counterargument to this would be "well they voted for it so it should just remain the same". This is true to some extent but I think a reason why people extend is because the first button to get the menu off your screen and is close to the W key is the #2 (the same number to extend). Think @Dreamz and other surf regs can attest to people complaining that a map gets extended then they want to get off of it. I'd say the vote to extend should be lowered to whatever the last key is to vote.

6. AFK Manager to stop kicking players

Again it is another thread here, but I do think that with the population of surf not being as lively as the other servers, kicking our players for being in spectator can only do us worse. People being on the server boosts our rank and many people don't save the IP to the server so I think it should just be removed for the sake of trying to boost our numbers. To counteract some of the arguments that may get presented with the suggestion to remove this.

a. How do we handle the AFKs then?

They already get moved to spectator and do not harm there since the server hasn't been near full population in a long while

b. They can get raffle points and credits

As said before, they get moved to spec so it wont be a problem

c. What if there's someone on the server that's holding up RTVs

If possible, I'm pretty sure there's still the option to remove AFK/spectator votes

7.When a player disconnects from Surf, the server will have a lag spike

This has been happening since early in the afternoon and lots of players have been complaining about this. Don't really know too much about the problem but maybe the error log can tell us something

8. Surf Gameme stats page is broken

-

9. When the playerbase is above 10 you cannot nominate Tier 3-6 Maps

I don't know entirely why this is in place if it is intended but a lot of people want to branch out and try more maps sometimes but this system right now locks people into playing only Tier 1 and 2s.

10. 3500 max velocity

I think it's pretty easy to reach 3500 a lot of the times but since you plateau after that, it makes it a little bit more difficult to end some maps with all that speed.

11. mp_death_drop_gun

This one isn't too much of a big deal but a lot of people have been complaining that they can't drop their weapons because they are used to not seeing their viewmodel while surfing. More of a preference thing but will probably please a lot of people who constantly talk about it on the server.

Hoping to get some feedback on some of the topics from surf regs and possibly the manager to revamp the server and get it populated again. Thanks for reading :amuse:

@Gator

• Like 16
Edited by nick

• Content Count:  2693

Another issue that we came across but forgot to add is that when the playerbase is above 10, you cannot nominate Tier 3-6 maps. This might be working as intended but we think that it should be changed.

Edit: Forgot a big one. Surf does not currently have a stats page.

Add more maps into the vote.

@Gator

• Like 2

• Content Count:  824

Issue that'll be added to the main thread along with the ones that @John posted: When a player disconnects from the server there will be a lag spike. (Probably needs a server restart but the server crashed)

Disconnect lag has been a problem and a reoccurrence for a while now. Ever since I first joined the surf server well over a year ago this was occurring. I am not sure as to what the problem behind it is.

• Content Count:  2668

I haven't been able to give the server the attention it deserves this summer due to some setbacks in my housing situation and internship. This will be changing in a week or two when I move back to school, but in the mean time, definitely keep bringing up any problems you guys find.

1. Zoning needs to be fixed in maps

Will be cleaning these up once I'm back to school and have my PC up again. Please report maps that need fixing to https://www.steam-gamers.net/forum/showthread.php?t=84780 so it's easier to keep track of them.

Lot of maps have CP and Zoning problems. Many include utopia with certain ramps having multiple CPs and some ramps not having a CP compared to the one on the opposite side. This can be done pretty easy by just redoing the CP's/zones.

2.Getting slain whenever the map ends

Always done this as far as I'm aware since I've been managing the server. I can look into this more though.

It was mentioned in this thread before, but this is an old way to change the map easily since you used to have to slay the server in order for the round to end. You can tell you don't need to slay anyone because the round ends, then the slay procs and also when you RTV, the map ends and no one gets slain but it still changes.

3. Air Acceleration should be set to 400

This is something I'll be creating more discussion on. The server is intended to be a proper T1-T6, so calling the server "Easy" isn't exactly appropriate in my opinion. The discussion I will make a thread for about it soon will be in regard to if the server should try to maintain a competitive style surf as it is now, or be an "Easy" T1-T6 as it's advertised in the title.

I've been on a lot of Surf servers to check the values of sv_airaccelerate and it really just varies on the server. Went on the most populated "Easy" Surf servers (which is what we're currently advertised on the server list) that are public right now and I noticed that they are varied from values to 200, 400, 800 and 1000. Lots of times people will say how they're not used to adjusting to an airaccelerate lower than the other servers and they complain how strafing is harder than others. I think that if our server is being advertised on the community servers tab and gameme as Easy, it should probably be adjusted to the value listed in some websites for settings like this one here.

4. !replay is a VIP feature

This is not an SG VIP issue. The plugin has a built in VIP which is causing the problem. Should be an easy fix.

For some reason regulars have a problem typing in !replay because it returns the message "You do not have access to this command" because it is a VIP feature. They can easily type !spectate and go to the map replay but I don't understand how the same feature gets blocked if you don't type a certain command and require to pay money for it. Proof (a regular tried doing it on the server).

5. Extend timer to be up for discussion to be lowered

I would be fine lowering it. It's current value is set because some maps take a long time and rather than extending a bunch, an extend just added a lot of time.

As of now when people click the Extend Map option, it adds an additional 15 minutes towards the timer making it 20 minutes left and 5 for the next map vote. I think the base time should stay the same, but it should only add an additional 5-10 minutes so people don't sit on the same map for about an hour. I assume the counterargument to this would be "well they voted for it so it should just remain the same". This is true to some extent but I think a reason why people extend is because the first button to get the menu off your screen and is close to the W key is the #2 (the same number to extend). Think @Dreamz and other surf regs can attest to people complaining that a map gets extended then they want to get off of it. I'd say the vote to extend should be lowered to whatever the last key is to vote.

6. AFK Manager to stop kicking players

Was working on this and got sidetracked I think. Will work on fixing this soon.

Again it is another thread here, but I do think that with the population of surf not being as lively as the other servers, kicking our players for being in spectator can only do us worse. People being on the server boosts our rank and many people don't save the IP to the server so I think it should just be removed for the sake of trying to boost our numbers. To counteract some of the arguments that may get presented with the suggestion to remove this.

a. How do we handle the AFKs then?

They already get moved to spectator and do not harm there since the server hasn't been near full population in a long while

b. They can get raffle points and credits

As said before, they get moved to spec so it wont be a problem

c. What if there's someone on the server that's holding up RTVs

If possible, I'm pretty sure there's still the option to remove AFK/spectator votes

7.When a player disconnects from Surf, the server will have a lag spike

Will be looking into this. Been happening for a while so I'm not sure what the problem is off the top of my head.

This has been happening since early in the afternoon and lots of players have been complaining about this. Don't really know too much about the problem but maybe the error log can tell us something

8. Surf Gameme stats page is broken

Surf doesn't have a gameme. The only benefit it would have is recording server connection time.

-

9. When the playerbase is above 10 you cannot nominate Tier 3-6 Maps

This was done on purpose. The server kept having problems with being at high population, people vote for a T6 map, and the server dies because only a small portion of the server was capable of beating the first stage. I would entertain the idea of increasing to 15 players as the limit, or just limiting T5 + T6 instead.

I don't know entirely why this is in place if it is intended but a lot of people want to branch out and try more maps sometimes but this system right now locks people into playing only Tier 1 and 2s.

10. 3500 max velocity

What would you suggest as a new value?

I think it's pretty easy to reach 3500 a lot of the times but since you plateau after that, it makes it a little bit more difficult to end some maps with all that speed.

11. mp_death_drop_gun

Don't see a reason why not.

This one isn't too much of a big deal but a lot of people have been complaining that they can't drop their weapons because they are used to not seeing their viewmodel while surfing. More of a preference thing but will probably please a lot of people who constantly talk about it on the server.

Let me know if you have any questions or comments. And please keep bringing any issues you come across to my attention.

• Like 8

• Content Count:  2983

@Gator

5. Yeah it's unreasonable how long it gets extended. I can understand the higher tiers being an hour, but any T1-T2 can get extended for 2 hours and I think it's just because people mash the 2 button to get it off their menu. I'd say the base time should stay but maybe the scaling for how much time gets added (or how many extends there is currently) should be lowered.

8. I think GameMe is useful only because it's easier to check someones activity on Surf than waiting for them to be online in the server just in case they were to apply for admin and make sure they have a decent activity. This isn't too high priority since I'm sure regulars who surf can probably vouch for someone's activity if they were to apply.

9. I wouldn't mind up to 15. I know that the higher tiers are definitely way harder and it can scare away some of the playerbase but I think on some maps like omnific we had a pretty good playerbase for 2 hours(?) before the map changed.

10. When I was looking at the values for servers I saw that the max velocity is usually set to 5000. I think this helps with sections in maps like Utopia and Mesa where near the end you'll most likely have 3500 u/s and it'll stay like that till the end of the map. Being capped in speed just hinders trying to beat the map as fast one truly can difficult.

Another small thing, this isn't too big but the value to mp_disconnect_kills_players is set to 1 and everytime someone leaves it shows up in the killfeed. I don't think it should be on but it's not too big of a deal.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  1920

I don't know if this would be possible, but I think past the start of the map, you should not lose momentum by going through teleporters to another stage on maps such as kitsune. Most servers I've seen in the past have it so you only have your momentum killed at the start of the map. The current max is 350 to stop people from bhopping in the starting zone of checkpoints, though I thought it was only intended for the start of the map.

• Content Count:  2668

I don't know if this would be possible, but I think past the start of the map, you should not lose momentum by going through teleporters to another stage on maps such as kitsune. Most servers I've seen in the past have it so you only have your momentum killed at the start of the map. The current max is 350 to stop people from bhopping in the starting zone of checkpoints, though I thought it was only intended for the start of the map.

It's purpose is to prevent speed boosting rather than bhopping.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  418

I meant getting higher speed by bhopping. I just find it most servers have it so you can speed boost into stages past the first one. I can also see why you wouldn't want that though.

You can carry your speed into the next stage as long as you DON'T bhop in the starting zone, at least on kitsune. If you prestrafe and strafe during your jump from the starting platform to the ramp you can still reach 350 and you will not get slowed down to 350 when you go through a teleport into the next satge.

• Like 1

Reply to Thread

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.