? servers

? players online

Should a Rust Server be added to SG  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Should a Rust Server be added to SG

SG Rust Server

• Content Count:  908

I have many people added from SG, and I've noticed that a good number of them play Rust. I think a SG Rust server would be very popular. Since the last Rust server was made, Rust has grown exponentially as a game. It would add a new level of competition. People would try to gain as much loot as possible by the end of the wipe and could receive some sort of reward.

At the moment the only long term competition server is Minecraft, although it has very little competition seeing as most people don't PVP and pretty much everything has been achieved. It could also bring new players into the SG community through the rust server browers.

If this new server is implemented I suggest having a cap on the group count, as a clan could form and wipe the server of population.

Since the last Rust server was made, Rust has grown exponentially as a game.

• Content Count:  2206

I support this and have brought it up before. I really think rust is a great game and is more popular now than when it was originally tried out. I don't know if I'd support solo duo trio as they tend to die out very quickly after wipe. I think the best way would be to start with a low pop server like 100 slots and maybe make it like 2x gather and auto stack for QoL. Vanilla is awesome but I don't think a vanilla server would end up fairing to well but I'd be for it as well.

Rust good

• Like 7

• Content Count:  1920

From my own experience, most people in a smaller server will stick around for a full wipe, and then need a break for a few weeks as to not burn out on the game. Rust is a really fun game, I just don't feel the server would have much longevity or consistent population. Now, depending on the pop we would more than likely have people who were not part of the community join and potentially become active members of the community.

There are ups and downs of this idea, but I think it should be given a shot on a trial run basis of a month if that was possible. It could help grow the community further, but could also flop and get pretty much no pop after the first wipe.

• Content Count:  820

I don’t see why not. Don’t have Rust and have never played it but I might buy it. Could attract some people to our community through the server. Also not sure if there’s any way to have like donor perks (like the MC server), if it’s possible it would incentivize people to support.

Always good to expand the SG name to different games.

Only thing is we would need a couple people to manage/run the server and are familiar with Rust...

• Like 1

• Content Count:  820

I think rust is a great idea for a server, but it would definitely have to be executed properly for it to work out well. There has to be something interesting and unique about the server for it to do well with SG and possibly bring others to play as well. Somethings that I woudl like are kits and predetermined maps that the community could vote on before the next wipe.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  1654

I feel like the same potential filled feeling a lot of people are having about having a rust server is the same when we were discussing on the RP Gmod server and then ultimately decided to go full force and hope it would work long time. I personally have never played nor own the game, my knowledge on the actual game is limited to the few videos I've seen from it so the best advice I could push for would be to test the popularity of a rust server as an MGT and later have discussions on a full time server. I would personally buy the game and give an mgt a shot. Having a giveaway to give peeps a copy of the game would also be a nice touch to add in the popularity.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  2206

The main thing to keep in mind here is rust is not the kind of game you will open a server for and form day one it's going to knock it out of the park. It will take work and dedication. But turning our nose away at the idea of it cause we think it won't work after a week of MGT is the worst way to approach it or trying our hand at any server for that matter.

• Like 3

• Content Count:  1654

The approach I'm looking at this potential server is the same way I'm looking at our MC server right now. We have moments when popularity for the server dips almost entirely, sometimes it comes back gradually again and sometimes everyone just comes on all at once. My expectation of a popular server for a game like MC and Rust wouldn't be constrained in seeing how many people join the server in a weeks to even a months time but a longer period of time (say a quarter to half a year?), similar to how caution had said that the MC server will become official if there is a 6+ month period with steady population (I think). I mentioned trying the server out as an MGT first because its one of three options that I see having a new server and RP Gmod and the current MC server is a great example of the other two options. Either going in raw like RP gmod and work on it overtime hoping to find a population that is motivated on playing the game mode for months at a time or the way we have our MC server right now and having a separate team entirely fund and build upon it with requirements for it to become an official SG server. The reason why I didn't use the example that MC is going for right now is because Idk anyone willing enough to fund a rust server plus find or be knowledgeable enough to code and or work with plugins for the specific game.

In response to @Fuze

• Like 1
Edited by Greggy G

Reply to Thread