? servers

? players online

Charity Event?

• Content Count:  1920

Hey, I'm going to preface this by warning you as of right now that this idea is extremely vague, will need a lot of community support, and lots of planning.

I think it would be really cool if SG organized an event on the forums/ts/discord/servers that would go on for a month and would be about raising money for a charity of the community's choosing. I think this would be great for spreading positive publicity for SG and will allow us to give back to the world around us. As SG is a global community, I thought it would be cool to donate to an American and International charity.

How we go about raising money for these charities is where the help of our community would be needed. Any and all ideas to add to this are helpful. Perhaps we could do events where people try to achieve a certain total score amongst everyone and every time a point goal is hit, a certain amount of money would be added to the pool of money to be donated.

"Where would the money come from?"-- I understand that most of the community is teens without jobs and strapped for cash college students, but I would ask people who are willing to give money to charity to donate any amount they can. Any amount would help.

Here are some charities I think would be great to give to:

America:

1. Feeding America

2. The Wounded Warriors Project

3. United Way America

International:

1. Malaria Consortium

2. Direct Relief

3. MAP International

Also, if this does happen, I will gladly pledge $100 to the cause.

• Like 6
Edited by nick

• Content Count:  74

• Content Count:  2579

Personally, I don't think you understand what it takes to actually donate to a charity via a gaming community. If you want to donate, donate directly to the charity and don't wait for your gaming community to suggest it for some easy clout.

PLACES YOU CAN DONATE NOW:

https://www.redcross.org/donate/donation.html/?cid=donationnonbrand&med=cpc&source=google&scode=RSG00000E017&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvdXpBRCoARIsAMJSKqJnC2PXj5Q-chEOUZ_EvZfv0tlpcq5r_sTWKQFRs6p6AgaxfHz2yioaAgQGEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://donations.diabetes.org/site/Donation2?df_id=19705&mfc_pref=T&19705.donation=form1&s_src=WWP190201DXXXXXXXXCC&utm_source=homepage&utm_medium=website&utm_campaign=evergreen-040319&utm_term=one-time&utm_content=Don_form&_ga=2.99053726.1856699638.1563813105-512743365.1563813105&_gac=1.180205782.1563813105.Cj0KCQjwvdXpBRCoARIsAMJSKqKmowBIxLODZQgHkWsLOigNSFt4SyV36UOwc7DRwgYu1O3uBY2oSHAaAsvXEALw_wcB

https://donate3.cancer.org/?campaign=search&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=NB+-+Donations%3A+General+-+Exact&utm_term=charitable%20donations&utm_content=OfGiuqSp_dc|pcrid|354527714598|pmt|e|pkw|charitable%20donations|slid||pgrid|62015285440|ptaid|kwd-47268500|&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvdXpBRCoARIsAMJSKqLR0ACzXLpqW4aWbQSLppUu4wM-ULEwQRXq_g90HZeSlb6eiu-YXJsaAp2QEALw_wcB

No one needs a middle man especially not within financial situations.

Theres a good reason people go through what you call 'middlemen' for charities -it's a great incentive, incredible at that. Events, conventions, twitch streamers and communities all do this to gather people together to donate for a good cause. Maybe you'd think its about "clout" but I fail to see why it'd be bad to have an ego battle in the name of charity.

SG used to run a 24h charity stream/event. Spikedrocker isn't here anymore, but it would be a good idea to bring it back or simply host a different event to pool in money for a reputable charity.

• Like 13

• Content Count:  2187

Yeah, I was gonna say that you'd need a lot of support and people to get this kind of thing going. Not to mention, you'd need to take plenty of time to plan this out and stay committed to the stream (i.e. what games are you gonna play, how long are you going to stream, what types of people do you want to bring into the stream). I remember @SpikedRocker doing streams for charity. I haven't personally been on it to see what he did, but he did it and I think he got a good amount of money to give to the charity he wanted to help.

I don't think you did it just for the sake of throwing an idea out there and hoping for some free thanks. It's a good idea for a community event, something to get everyone together and have some fun. Even if we somehow get on with the plan and no one donates, at least we tried and we got some enjoyment out of it, right? If you really want this to go through, take some time out of your day, plan everything out on paper and come back after you think it through.

If anything, this'd be some good clout for all the streamers in this community.

If you really want this to go through, take some time out of your day, plan everything out on paper and come back after you think it through.

Well, part of me getting to this point was taking feedback from everyone. I would want to know who's interested, who would contribute, and any possible ideas for events and stream ideas. I would gladly do a 24-hour stream. Possibly if we got people to commit to doing speedruns, we could do a Games Done Quick type of event where we had multiple people stream on a dedicated SG stream and have people speedrun certain games. GDQ has raised millions of dollars over its history. Granted, they are a HUGE organization by now, but we all start somewhere, right? It doesn't have to be speedrunning, but if we focused the stream on one topic, I feel like it would gain traction much easier, and that loops back to why I reached out before giving a full-fledged idea.

Well, part of me getting to this point was taking feedback from everyone. I would want to know who's interested, who would contribute, and any possible ideas for events and stream ideas. I would gladly do a 24-hour stream. Possibly if we got people to commit to doing speedruns, we could do a Games Done Quick type of event where we had multiple people stream on a dedicated SG stream and have people speedrun certain games. GDQ has raised millions of dollars over its history. Granted, they are a HUGE organization by now, but we all start somewhere, right? It doesn't have to be speedrunning, but if we focused the stream on one topic, I feel like it would gain traction much easier, and that loops back to why I reached out before giving a full-fledged idea.

Yeah, we could start off with one game, not sure which one though. Then slowly make it into a variety stream to keep it from getting stale. Idk if there are any speedrunners here, so that would be our last option unless someone does speedrunning as a hobby. I say start off with a party game, something that involves the audience, or a game with a good story/content (i.e. Horace, Choice Chamber, maybe Jackbox Party Pack 3 or the other ones, Puyo Puyo Tetris for the Switch or PC, ScreenCheat, Lethal League Blaze, Mario Kart Deluxe, Terraria, maybe TF2 - Mann vs. Machine). We could also do some multi-platform gaming too if someone uses a capture device/card for their Switch, PS4, XBox, etc., like I do. It'll be tough doing a multi-person stream since people have other things to do, so we'd have to conduct some sort of survey for the people who are actually interested in doing this to see what times they are willing to participate.

I'd be good to go for this event if more people are willing to chime in and help out.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  74

You don’t have to delete my comment just because you don’t agree with my opinion (whoever it was) and I was trying to get the point across that if you have money to donate, do it. Don’t wait for a community to open a path way and Idk why people have to announce it (thats just me ig) i think you should do it to do it. ¯\_(?)_/¯ I know that opinion exists to others too. Some charities really NEED help so why not do it directly if you plan on it. Cheers to sg for money they raise though if it happens. I’m js it’s not too early to start and nor is it impossible. @roux

You don’t have to delete my comment just because you don’t agree with my opinion (whoever it was) and I was trying to get the point across that if you have money to donate, do it. Don’t wait for a community to open a path way and Idk why people have to announce it (thats just me ig) i think you should do it to do it. ¯\_(?)_/¯ I know that opinion exists to others too. Some charities really NEED help so why not do it directly if you plan on it. Cheers to sg for money they raise though if it happens. I’m js it’s not too early to start and nor is it impossible. @roux

Psychologically speaking, it is more effective to do a large event to raise money. People are more likely to raise money in groups than not. There are reasons for this such as:

1. Goal Proximity- If people see a goal for donations and the amount donated is closer to the goal, people are more likely to give money to whatever cause you are raising money for.

2. The Time-Ask Effect: If we set a specific date to host this event, people are more likely to tune in compared to us just asking people for money.

3. Martyrdom Effect: This is why I brought up a certain goal reached = a certain amount of money. It is proven that people are more likely to donate money when it means a separate goal is achieved. For instance: Say I live-streamed myself riding a bike and the longer I got, the more money I would donate, right? This would up the chances of more and more people donating the further I got.

4. (Less psychological here, more common sense)- The Snowball Effect / "Monkey see, monkey do"- The more people we get, the more people will join. If people see 25 people working towards a charitable cause, chances are someone is going to want to join into the cause. People gain satisfaction over giving their time and money to good causes to help.

• Like 4
Edited by Phoenix_

@tiny quail And to add to what @Phoenix_ said: just because we're taking our time to plan everything out and make sure everything goes according to plan doesn't mean that other people besides us aren't donating money to those charities as we speak. You can even google how often people give for charitable causes and you can see that they're on a very good upwards trend since 2017, particularly. It'd feel great to come together for a common cause and raise money as a community while having some fun since this could be used as an idea for a day-long community event or even a MGT (if we ever plan enough content to stretch out for a straight month).

I don't see a problem with it. Just gotta plan it out.

• Like 2

Reply to Thread