? servers

? players online

More Hard drive space needed

• Content Count:  1920

So my HDD that came with my computer (1TB) is getting close to filling up like so many games now take upwards of 20-100 GB depending on what you're playing, and on top of games, I, of course, have other personal pictures, videos, etc. So I was debating on what to do regarding getting some more storage for my PC.

I was thinking of getting a 1TB SSD Samsung 860 Evo. It's around $130 and has many, many positive reviews and seems to be very reliable.

On top of this, I had planned to move my games and computer OS to the SSD so my pc and games run and boot faster.

Does anyone have other suggestions for HDDs or SSDs? Does anyone think it would be unwise to move my OS and games to the SSD?

• Content Count:  922

Personally, if you are willing to spend this much money on an SSD then I really recommend just getting a 500 GB SSD such as the 970 EVO Plus instead of the 860. The 970 Evo plus is 57% faster than just the normal version of it. On amazon the read and write speeds for the 970 Evo plus shows 3,500 for read speeds and 3,300 Mb/s write. The 860 Evo is only 350 for read and 320 for write.

If you really want to move your games on your new SSD and have your os on there, it might slow the launch speed of windows just a tad bit but, nothing you will notice but it should be fine. Another route you can go with this is buying the 250 GB option of the 970 Evo Plus and just putting your OS on there and leaving your games on your HDD, and buying a 2 TB HDD for your games.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  361

Western Digital, Seagate and Samsung are my go-to recommendations for storage. They're available in many online stores and have a wide variety of options for whatever you're using the storage for. I'd recommend having a smaller SSD that's faster for boot and your most played games, along with a secondary slightly larger SSD for other games, and western digital blue/black or the barracuda line for media storage. There are a variety of other brands available, but these tend to have the best reliability,

• Like 1

Western Digital, Seagate and Samsung are my go-to recommendations for storage. They're available in many online stores and have a wide variety of options for whatever you're using the storage for. I'd recommend having a smaller SSD that's faster for boot and your most played games, along with a secondary slightly larger SSD for other games, and western digital blue/black or the barracuda line for media storage. There are a variety of other brands available, but these tend to have the best reliability,

That's what I would have planned to do. I currently have a 1TB western digital. It came with the PC.

Personally, if you are willing to spend this much money on an SSD then I really recommend just getting a 500 GB SSD such as the 970 EVO Plus instead of the 860. The 970 Evo plus is 57% faster than just the normal version of it. On amazon the read and write speeds for the 970 Evo plus shows 3,500 for read speeds and 3,300 Mb/s write. The 860 Evo is only 350 for read and 320 for write.

If you really want to move your games on your new SSD and have your os on there, it might slow the launch speed of windows just a tad bit but, nothing you will notice but it should be fine. Another route you can go with this is buying the 250 GB option of the 970 Evo Plus and just putting your OS on there and leaving your games on your HDD, and buying a 2 TB HDD for your games.

I'll check out the 970.

Back when I used my craptop for everything, the hard drive that came with the laptop kicked the can and I got a replacement that was a hybrid ssd and hdd. They put my OS on the ssd and the rest on the hdd and my 5 year old laptop did and still does boot in a snap compared to what it used to. I would think the same would apply to my PC. Not saying my PC is slow, I'm just really picky and have expensive tastes and high expectations for computers. Also would want to go for the 1TB because I'm heading to college in the fall and I'd want my most important stuff on the SSD.

• Content Count:  2206

I'll check out the 970.

Back when I used my craptop for everything, the hard drive that came with the laptop kicked the can and I got a replacement that was a hybrid ssd and hdd. They put my OS on the ssd and the rest on the hdd and my 5 year old laptop did and still does boot in a snap compared to what it used to. I would think the same would apply to my PC. Not saying my PC is slow, I'm just really picky and have expensive tastes and high expectations for computers. Also would want to go for the 1TB because I'm heading to college in the fall and I'd want my most important stuff on the SSD.

You actually want your most important files housed on your HDD. The issue with SSD while incredibly fast, are finite. When you buy one it tells you how many writes it can do before it shits the bed. A hard drive can in theory infinitely write to the disk without breaking an SSD is more finite if your constantly writing files to it and can last a year or two depending on the use you put on it. HDDs can last decades and are more "will it break?" Where am SSD is "when is it going to break?".

I have HDDs from when I was 13 that have important information on them that I store in my closet that I can plugin anytime and works perfectly for the time period it was made in.

Also it's common practice that you should really only put your OS and most used games on the SSD because it's writes are finite and you want to squeeze as much life out of it as you can. Every time you save a file to your SSD is just another tick mark to it's death.

Reply to Thread