? servers

? players online

Question of the day 5/20/19

• Content Count:  639

Do you feel as if exams need to be replaced with more efficient assessment formats? If so, how/what should it be changed to?

For the past century, the United States education system has hardly changed; With good reason. It's highly efficient and is proven that it works well when compared to other nations' education system.

One flaw I see with the education system is the exam format. An exam is nothing more than a memory dump imo. While this allows students to provide an opportunity to showcase what they've learned throughout the semester, I don't believe that an exam should be used as a tool to properly evaluate students and their intellect. What say you?

Send me question suggestions :)

• Like 1

• Content Count:  127

Personally, yes. In my school exams are worth as 90% of our ENTIRE semester grade. If we fuck up, our grade is down the shitter. I would personally like to see more ways for students to personally pick the way or how they do an exam. More student engagement I think personally would make the whole idea about taking an exam less daunting.

You stated it perfectly by saying how exams are just memory dumps. It's exactly that, we just remember what was told to us throughout the unit. I would love if we could simply learn what we have learned, show it off, but not have the big idea of having a test on it.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  484

Standardized testing is shit. No question about it. It’s a memory test, nothing about standardized testing actually gauges intelligence. How do you guys think I have honors and AP classes? Cause I have pretty good memory when it comes to school stuff.

• Like 3

• Content Count:  1423

How do you guys think I have honors and AP classes? Cause I have pretty good memory when it comes to school stuff.

Cool man, you want a cookie or somethin?

• Like 10

• Content Count:  1009

I don’t know if you guys have this, but we have an exempt policy where if you passes the state test, and are passing your class you do NOT have to take the test. Other than that we have the state test as a 4 hour exam where it’s all just stuff we learned last semester. But I really think it could be done better. Therefore making it more easier on students and making specific days meant to study for this test. Everything else is just terrible about it.

• Content Count:  1583

Exams are the most efficient and cheapest way of testing students on material learned in a course. Exams could certainly be revised to be more holistic and test applied knowledge, such as how many AP exams are set up, but this may disadvantage students who previously have done well, but are now tasked with a more rigorous exam to explain the information they have learned.

Anecdotally, everyone I know that claims to be a "bad test-taker" overestimates their mastery of a subject because they are very good at memorising and completing assignments, but fail to apply it practically.

• Content Count:  361

Honestly prefer the cram school approach, where everyone is tested to their own ability, instead of standardized testing. While standard testing is affordable, it fails to show the full potential of every individual.

Reply to Thread