? servers

? players online

New gaming PC

• Content Count:  3287

So I'm doing some research into a new gaming setup since my PC is getting old asf and lagging in every single game I play nowadays.

Also plagued with overheating problems, so time for a new PC and give this piece of shit to my girl.

After asking for some advice on a dutch tech-site I've come to something like the following. It's a bit pricy, so I'm thinking I might downgrade the CPU and GPU a little bit, but I wanted to see what you guys think about this setup.

It's meant as a 1080p/144Hz setup, no 4K or super wide or any of that nonsense.

Most important to me is good cooling, airflow and steady framerate on any game I can think of on High/Ultra.

CPU

Intel Core i7-9700K Boxed € 437,13

CPU Cooling

Scythe Mugen 5 PCGH Edition € 50,95

Mobo

MSI Z390-A PRO € 124,90

GPU

MSI GeForce RTX 2070 Armor 8G € 539,95

HDD

Seagate ST2000DM008, 2TB € 58,87

SSD

Intel 660p 1TB € 113,-

Case

Fractal Design Define S - Window € 76,-

RAM

Kingston HyperX Fury HX432C18FB2K2/16 € 93,88

Power Supply

Corsair RM550x (2018) Zwart € 76,-

Monitor

Acer KG251Q € 179,-

Total

€1,749.68

• Content Count:  461

The 2070 is overpriced for what it is: a slightly better 2060. If you want to save a bit of money you can get a good 2060 for 350-375 USD (depending on availability near you). The 2060 is good enough for 1080p/1440p and high frame rates. You can watch some benchmark videos and see for yourself, the 2070's in-game performance is only about 15% better on average than a 2060, which is pretty bad for this generation.

A Ryzen 2700x is also something that you can swap in for that overclock ability and to save some money. You still get the multi-threading and a nice cooler that comes with it. You will have to get a different motherboard since it is AMD, but that will cost the same as an Intel board.

• Like 1

The 2070 is overpriced for what it is: a slightly better 2060. If you want to save a bit of money you can get a good 2060 for 350-375 USD (depending on availability near you). The 2060 is good enough for 1080p/1440p and high frame rates. You can watch some benchmark videos and see for yourself, the 2070's in-game performance is only about 15% better on average than a 2060, which is pretty bad for this generation.

A Ryzen 2700x is also something that you can swap in for that overclock ability and to save some money. You still get the multi-threading and a nice cooler that comes with it. You will have to get a different motherboard since it is AMD, but that will cost the same as an Intel board.

Are those changes future-proof? Cause I'm getting all this in the hopes that I don't have to upgrade for quite some time :p

Also, I'm not interested in overclocking at all, I'd rather just keep it all the way it comes outta the box

• Like 1

• Content Count:  461

Are those changes future-proof? Cause I'm getting all this in the hopes that I don't have to upgrade for quite some time :p

Also, I'm not interested in overclocking at all, I'd rather just keep it all the way it comes outta the box

These changes should last as long as the ones you have in there. The only difference between the 2060 and the 2070's future-proofing is that the 2070 has 2 more GB of VRAM which means that when games start using that much in 3-5 years you'll see much lower frame rates but that would be about the time would be when you would want to upgrade anyways.

The 9700k generally performs better than the 2700x but the 2700x should still last you 5 years since it has 8 cores and 16 threads. For the lower price you will sacrifice performance and that is expected. If games ever do need that much and they likely won't for the time being, your choice here really doesn't matter too much. Either this or the 9700k can be overclocked, I figured that since you had the 9700k you wanted an OCable CPU but I forgot that this generation of Intel CPUs don't have a base 9700 version. They both have out-of-the-box clock boosts you can turn on in BIOS if you ever do get interested in it.

• Like 1

These changes should last as long as the ones you have in there. The only difference between the 2060 and the 2070's future-proofing is that the 2070 has 2 more GB of VRAM which means that when games start using that much in 3-5 years you'll see much lower frame rates but that would be about the time would be when you would want to upgrade anyways.

The 9700k generally performs better than the 2700x but the 2700x should still last you 5 years since it has 8 cores and 16 threads. For the lower price you will sacrifice performance and that is expected. If games ever do need that much and they likely won't for the time being, your choice here really doesn't matter too much. Either this or the 9700k can be overclocked, I figured that since you had the 9700k you wanted an OCable CPU but I forgot that this generation of Intel CPUs don't have a base 9700 version. They both have out-of-the-box clock boosts you can turn on in BIOS if you ever do get interested in it.

Thanks for the advice, definitely considering it, since it would save alot of money :p

About overclocking, dont you need exceptional extra cooling in your pc to make that work without overheating, or do I know nothing

• Content Count:  2206

Thanks for the advice, definitely considering it, since it would save alot of money :p

About overclocking, dont you need exceptional extra cooling in your pc to make that work without overheating, or do I know nothing

Not like you would think and also depends how far you want to overclock it. Generally if your not knowledgeable you'll want to use the easy over clock feature that most motherboards have. For example, I have a turbo mode that OCs my CPU from 3.5ghz to 4.2 ghz and the ram to 3200mhz. My cooler is a hyper 212 Evo and it keeps it cool under load. Ive used this cooler for every build I've ever had since I started building my own and it's yet to fail me. If your thinking OC needs liquid cooling or some 50$ after market fan that's wrong the hyper 212 is like 20$. If you plan on REALLY rampting it up then I would look towards liquid cooling or "exceptional" cooling in general but for the most part the average overclock just needs something better then stock cooler cause those are the Internet explorers of fan cooling

• Like 3
Edited by Fuze

Reply to Thread