? servers

? players online

Upload Quality

• Content Count:  1381

Alright, so I'm trying to have better quality on my videos for multiple reasons, either to report something or just to edit and upload funny moments. But I noticed that even at YouTube's 1080p 60 fps, the quality of my videos still looks like complete shit. For example, basically the same frame of the same video is shown

Video on my computer: iFehTK9.jpg

Video on YouTube: ZhWl5Ub.jpg

If you click to view the full size of the image you can clearly see all the quality lost.

I've searched for a little while now, and I still have no idea on why my upload quality is so shit on youtube but is great on my on computer. Anyone know the answer to this, perhaps roux or karma on the media team who have experience with video?

• Content Count:  2693

Youtube compresses videos so that they can easily be streamed. 1080p on YouTube isn't "true" 1080p. I'm afraid there is not much you could do other than uploading it to another service that doesn't compress videos as much as Youtube.

• Like 3

• Content Count:  1583

Has to do with compression and bitrates. For YouTube to host millions of videos at no cost to you, it has to shrink them down. While the resolution is still 1920x1080 and it is at 60fps, it has to shrink your file down by losing some data in terms of color depth, bitrates, and other fancy tech tricks. I'm not sure if there's a way to preserve the quality of your video, other than trying to compress the bitrate in a professional video editing software ahead of time. I don't know a great deal about this, but hopefully that answered a few of your questions.

• Like 1

Youtube compresses videos so that they can easily be streamed. 1080p on YouTube isn't "true" 1080p.

I heard about this on some videos about this topic but I've seen youtube channels that can upload almost crystal clear. That's what I want to know. Am I supposed to get high quality with compression before I upload so youtube doesn't ruin the quality for me? I'm asking for a way to upload clearly instead of getting bad quality.

• Content Count:  2693

I heard about this on some videos about this topic but I've seen youtube channels that can upload almost crystal clear. That's what I want to know. Am I supposed to get high quality with compression before I upload so youtube doesn't ruin the quality for me? I'm asking for a way to upload clearly instead of getting bad quality.

You could try upscaling the video but I am not too informed on that and I highly doubt you want to export every single video in 4k. You could also try exporting it as a h.264 mpg4 video so that it doesn't get as compressed.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  2579

If you really hate your life and like rendering painfully large files, rendering 1080 clips in a 4k format does counter Youtube's compression a bit. I personally can't afford to do that, but I know many big name youtubers do it.

You can also play with your rates and compression in your editor. Test 10-20 second clips to gauge what kind of quality you're looking for.

• Like 2

What do you use to render?

Sony Vegas Pro 15, MAGIX AVC/AAC MP4 with custom presets for 1080p 60fps using an encoder for NVIDIA GPUs that makes it render almost real time. I've got good rendering but I'm currently looking for a way to compress the file before I upload it using handbrake like in 3kliksphilips video that roux suggested I should watch.

• Content Count:  1051

Sony Vegas Pro 15, MAGIX AVC/AAC MP4 with custom presets for 1080p 60fps using an encoder for NVIDIA GPUs that makes it render almost real time. I've got good rendering but I'm currently looking for a way to compress the file before I upload it using handbrake like in 3kliksphilips video that roux suggested I should watch.

You could do that, but you might be able to compromise and have YouTube compress it to 60 FPS from 120, this should eliminate any playback issue causing you video to look smoother. While it still won’t be true 1080, it should look fine and not make you have to go through so much work just to upload a video. (This is a 50/50 on working, not 100% sure). Also do you render directly to YouTube or render then upload.

• Like 1

You could do that, but you might be able to compromise and have YouTube compress it to 60 FPS from 120, this should eliminate any playback issue causing you video to look smoother. While it still won’t be true 1080, it should look fine and not make you have to go through so much work just to upload a video. (This is a 50/50 on working, not 100% sure). Also do you render directly to YouTube or render then upload.

I render the video then upload to youtube, I tested it by uploading straight to youtube from Vegas Pro but the framerate looked shitty so I'm choosing to stick with render then upload. I'm not sure if just uploading it straight from a render is good enough for videos though, as I constantly notice all the mixed pixels. It might just be me though, I don't know.

Reply to Thread