? servers

? players online

Should the CT lockout timer change in duration/at all?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Should the CT lockout timer change in duration/at all?

• No, I believe it is good where it is.
    • Yes, I believe it should be removed altogether.
    • Yes, but I believe the time should be increased.
    • Yes, but I believe the time should be decreased.

CT Lockout Timer - We want your input!

• Content Count:  1952

I honestly think there should be some sort of force-read the rules if you first join JB. I'm not going to lie, I've died many times because ct's don't know the rules and it's annoying. If the time for playtime before being able to play ct was increased, I hope it would be dedicated to making the newcomer read the rules and get familiar with what's happening at the moment.

What it should be increased too and why:

30 minutes, 5 minutes to help the person read the rules and 25 minutes to get familiar. If it were increased to 2 hours, many members and regs would leave. Nobody would want to be sitting on a role for 2 hours that they didn't want to play, especially if you've played jailbreak before and you know what role you like best. It's a fit for pretty much all of the new players and helps the community as a whole since it can reduce FK and mistakes.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  5108

I'm bumping this because we're also at the halfway point before the poll closes.

Also, I've noticed that there are a bunch of people who only voted and didn't bother providing anything else.

Would any of you care to elaborate a bit as to why you voted the way you did? Like I said, we will take your vote into account but it's really hard to gauge what exactly would be a solution to the problem if there is barely any feedback to go off of. On top of that, for those who voted for the time increase/decrease, please include in your post what you think a reasonable time should be.

@thump @Metal @Andy Dufresne @Bacon @H4wKEye @H4XOR @ManiacJak @Noctember @Pred @Rhyzhe @ShadoTheLunatic @Takuto @Tyymunk

• Like 4

• Content Count:  272

I'm bumping this because we're also at the halfway point before the poll closes.

Also, I've noticed that there are a bunch of people who only voted and didn't bother providing anything else.

Would any of you care to elaborate a bit as to why you voted the way you did? Like I said, we will take your vote into account but it's really hard to gauge what exactly would be a solution to the problem if there is barely any feedback to go off of. On top of that, for those who voted for the time increase/decrease, please include in your post what you think a reasonable time should be.

@thump @Metal @Andy Dufresne @Bacon @H4wKEye @H4XOR @ManiacJak @Noctember @Pred @Rhyzhe @ShadoTheLunatic @Takuto @Tyymunk

I think the timer is fine to be honest. There are of course freekillers but we shouldn't have to force the new players to play T for a while before being able to play CT. I understand that they might not completely know the rules and might freekill if they don't completely understand but a lot of them are willing to listen and learn the rules. If they are doing something wrong and are not willing to listen and change what they are doing then you could easily get the demo file by typing 'record freekillerman' and upload the file to mediafire or use some sort of recording software to record it. Honestly, when I'm on I don't see as many rule breakers as I see new players just trying to learn all the ins and outs of JB and we should be helping them learn some of the nuances that they can't find in the in-game rule list.

Also, I believe 25 minutes is enough time to get some what of a grasp for the rules and as they're playing they can't get the rest of it down like I already said. For the players coming from other servers as well they already know the basics, so they can easily grasp the rules of our community like fantastic said.

Edited by thump

• Content Count:  325

If a timer is what we want, then yes. I believe it should be increased. Not only that new players don't always know the rules for JB, but also specific-server rules. The other thing I'd like to see is players playing before getting on the CT side. Adding a condition based on points and time would probably be more optimal then only have a timer.

If 25 minutes is not enough, I'd go on a trial for 1 hour. In a couple of weeks make another poll and try to get a perfect time.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  11723

@eXtr3m3

Sorry, Forgot to post.

Maybe its our 2008 days of PB making me vote to remove it but I do have a couple reasons as to why.

However, I also to agree with increasing the time that is needed to play CT.

I'll start with why I think it should be removed.

Like all servers, you join and read the rules. You Agree to them since you have to press a key to proceed.

At that point there is no real excuse in not knowing the rules.

Like all players who break rules, SA's would follow the same suit to handle these players.

Everyone should have a chance to play CT, Not every person will be a bad CT so It might be a bit unfair for players to have to wait.

However, devil's advocate.

With having a higher playtime needed to switch over to CT, you allow players to see how to actually play CT the correct way.

If a CT does not play the role correctly and is punish, the players wanting to play CT will see this.

It also will cut down on a lot of hassle for SA's to need to control the server as the CT's will be regulars in a sense due to their playtime.

Hopefully this makes sense, did in my head.

Thanks for the hard work towards PB

• Like 1

• Content Count:  820

If a timer is what we want, then yes. I believe it should be increased. Not only that new players don't always know the rules for JB, but also specific-server rules. The other thing I'd like to see is players playing before getting on the CT side. Adding a condition based on points and time would probably be more optimal then only have a timer.

If 25 minutes is not enough, I'd go on a trial for 1 hour. In a couple of weeks make another poll and try to get a perfect time.

Basically what Noctember said^

For me personally, I think 1 hour would be the perfect balance between readying new players for CT and also not turn away new players who want to play CT. 1 hour is around 12-20 rounds and probably 1-3 maps. This would provide enough experience and playtime for new players to see how CT's interact with T's and how to play CT without breaking any rules. Also this 1 hour might provide admins and regulars more time to introduce them to the server and tell them to read !rules, etc.

SG is very different from other JB servers with things like warning shot, warden, etc. and I don't think 25 minutes is enough to absorb the rules that are different from other servers. I'm flexible if other regulars want it shorter or longer...

• Content Count:  614

I think increasing it to 1 hour to test the rate of newer freekillers compared to our current time would be a nice way to tell how much the CT timer really helps. Honestly 25 minutes playing T can just be fucking around and not grasping any real rules on how to play CT, but if someone has an hour of play time I would hope that they would pick up at least something that would help them play CT over the couple of maps they would have to play through on T.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  2206

In my opinion, I'd rather have someone who has at least been on the server for an hour before they can play CT. I think it is better for both admins and the players themselves. As a T you have less chance of being unfairly shot/killed (though chances are still high regardless) to someone who wasn't sure about the rules. While I see the point about you have to read the rules to play the game mode, people who play other JB servers may just skip them thinking its JB they know what they are doing. At least an hour on the server will get them some time to acclimate to how CT is played on our server specifically.

Also, even if they did read the rules, there are a lot of them, nobody is going to sit there for 5 minutes to read every single rule and commit them to memory. Most of our current admins didn't do that when they started playing they learned by playing after reading the rules quickly once and getting a decent idea what is and isn't allowed. While you can say "oh thats no excuse" I'd beg to differ. Nobody will remember (https://www.steam-gamers.net/forum/showthread.php?t=84729) in one go through read and I'm gauging that at an adult level with a good portion of them being common sense rules if you have ever played the game mode. A good portion of our player base is younger and less likely to read and retain every single rule to a T in one hour let alone one read through of the rules.

Because of these reasons I think the timer should be set to one hour to encourage referring back to the rules if one doesn't understand why they were killed before being able to go onto CT and enforce when they could easily break a rule they didn't remember or were aware of specific to our server.

• Like 1
Edited by Fuze

• Content Count:  5377

Don't increase the timer; Increase the admins. Show these new guys that JB is actually not hard to admin at all and that they shouldn't be scared of the gaggle of screaming children and you wouldn't even need a timer.

Obviously this is easier said than done but I believe that with the right people pushing for it we can go back to 2016-esq days where there was an average of like 5 admins from peak times all the way until the server died at night.

The timer is a bandaid; more (competent, active) admins will solve the majority of the issues this specific server faces. Also, due to the demographics and extensive ruleset of this server I would expect a higher volume of complaints. Just because a vocal minority is screaming does not mean there is a major problem, For every complaint thread on the forums you have 5 people enjoying the server not even worried about whatever issue is being presented.

At the end of the day people are going to make mistakes or even intentionally break the rules whether the timer is there or not.

• Like 5

• Content Count:  331

I feel like there should only be a slight increase in the timer time. Someone who has only played for 25 minutes won’t know all the rules or how SG works. If you increase the time to 45-60 minutes the player will most likely already get the jist. Plus, 45 minutes of T on JB flies by. If the person makes mistakes, admins can warn him and regs can iron out any other questions he may have. I feel like 2+ hours is way too much though.

Reply to Thread

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.