? servers

? players online

Should the CT lockout timer change in duration/at all?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Should the CT lockout timer change in duration/at all?

• No, I believe it is good where it is.
    • Yes, I believe it should be removed altogether.
    • Yes, but I believe the time should be increased.
    • Yes, but I believe the time should be decreased.

CT Lockout Timer - We want your input!

• Content Count:  5108

Hello everyone,

The notion of extending the amount of time a player has to play on T before they are eligible to play on CT has been a reoccurring idea as of lately. The Jail Break staff overall felt that this is a topic of high priority taking the constant threads/posts being made regarding it into account. We also do believe that considering this is a topic that has been constantly brought up by you, the regulars, that you should be able to have say in this matter and post your opinions freely on the issue. We would take all of your comments and concerns into account and bring it to the attention of the entire server staff and from there we would make policy on it.

That being said, we want to know what's on your mind. There have been a various amount of opinions; some people like it how it is, some people want the timer to be increased, some want it to be decreased or removed. Currently, we are sitting at a 25 minute waiting period before a player can join CT. At first, I wanted to refrain from adding a poll as I feel it entices people to vote without giving much thought or reasoning on their vote elsewhere. However, I will go ahead and slap a poll on this thread but I strongly encourage you to post in this thread with your vote and why you voted that way. We will take all input into account, but if it's clear you are just clicking on an option and voting with no other material to provide, we are probably going to look more at those who put in the effort to back up their opinion.

I'm also going to tag the server staff so they are aware of the thread and so they can contribute to the open discussion that we're hoping to have in this thread. @DancingMoonLight @Dominic @Manny @Military_king @Takuto

The Jail Break team and I are eager to see what you guys have to say and hope to find a good compromise that will promote the well-being of the server, but also be cognizant of the many voices of our wonderful server. Thank you in advance.

• Like 8
Edited by eXtr3m3
forgot current timer length

• Content Count:  245

This is a great idea, and I think is would eliminate around 80% of freekilling. Most freekilling can't be attributed to malice, but rather ignorance of the rules ("BRUH HE GOT TOO CLOSE").

• Like 2

• Content Count:  2342

@eXtr3m3 can you include the current timer length in the OP, please?

Will edit this post later today w/ my opinion.

EDIT: Here goes.

TL:DR - CT lockout timer of 25 minutes should not change.

Reasons for increasing the timer:

- CT candidates get to experience nuances that don't appear within the first ~5 rounds of playing on JB, and learn how these situations are dealt with

Rebuttal: ~5 rounds is enough to learn the basics, and any player can follow a "do as I do" type of learning and follow how their fellow CTs are reacting to the situation. In any case, the info in !rules is enough to cover most/all situations, and players can ask others for help.

- Increasing the timer lowers the chance of players coming on just to freekill

Rebuttal: Players who want to freekill will always find an opportunity to regardless of whether or not the timer is increased. New players should not be punished for the actions of a select few, of whom can promptly be dealt with via player complaint/!calladmin.

Reasons for removing the timer:

- Players can learn on-the-go through !rules and following their teammates on CT

Rebuttal: As someone who still remembers their first time on JB, I had no clue what the hell I was doing. The concept is pretty easy to get, but nuances like warning shots instead of instant spraydowns, LRs, distance orders, etc. take a while to get. ~5 rounds on T side will introduce players to the common rules/differing factors of SG vs. other JB servers.

- Having a timer pushes away players who are already familiar with JB from other communities

Rebuttal: Have not seen an instance where players are 100% familiar with the differences between SG and other communities upon first time connecting. Furthermore, players new to the JB gamemode will have 0 familiarity. There must be a balance between creating a comfortable environment for players familiar with JB from other communities vs. players new to the JB gamemode, aka a CT lockout timer short enough to accomodate both.

Reasons for keeping the timer:

- As discussed in the previous point, having a short (25 minute) timer accomodates both players new to the JB gamemode and players familiar with it already from different communities

- 25 minutes (~5 rounds) is enough time to learn the basics of JB, but may not be enough to learn more nuanced things like forced deathgames, blatant rebel, etc. These situations can be explained on-the-go as they may not occur on a round-to-round basis

Feel free to quote and discuss :)

• Like 2
Edited by fantastic

• Content Count:  5108

Will edit this post later today w/ my opinion..

Thanks for pointing this out, updated the original post with the info.

This is a great idea, and I think is would eliminate around 80% of freekilling. Most freekilling can't be attributed to malice, but rather ignorance of the rules ("BRUH HE GOT TOO CLOSE").

Can you elaborate a bit more? You haven't really made clear what direction you want to see this go in.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  1583

I think players should be forced to click an accept button somewhere in the rules. Most of the new players the play on CT have already played other servers and just don't know we have warning shots or don't do afk freezes etc. I usually give them 1 free pass, saying something along the lines of "that's not how it works here, read the !rules please.", but I'd have no problems being a hard ass about it if they were forced to click a button or type a command confirming that they've read the rules before joining CT.

• Like 2

Thanks for pointing this out, updated the original post with the info.

Can you elaborate a bit more? You haven't really made clear what direction you want to see this go in.

Sure. I'd like the CT lockout to increase in duration in order to give new players more time to become well versed in the rules.
  • Like 2

• Content Count:  2342

I think players should be forced to click an accept button somewhere in the rules. Most of the new players the play on CT have already played other servers and just don't know we have warning shots or don't do afk freezes etc. I usually give them 1 free pass, saying something along the lines of "that's not how it works here, read the !rules please.", but I'd have no problems being a hard ass about it if they were forced to click a button or type a command confirming that they've read the rules before joining CT.

The problem is the server should be near-autonomous with admins only needing to come on to deal with the occasional mass freekiller/mic spammer. Expecting players to know, read, and accept the general JB rules upon first time connecting is quite risky IMHO. I agree with your approach in terms of "one free pass", but this only works when admins are online. While many new players have already played on other servers, the safer route is to have them sit out the 25 minutes (only ~5 rounds) and see how SG JB differs from other communities.

Sure. I'd like the CT lockout to increase in duration in order to give new players more time to become well versed in the rules.

In your opinion, what rules need more than 25 minutes to become well-versed in? What are some rules/situations a new player may not see in their first 25 minutes on the server?

• Like 1

• Content Count:  1583

@fantastic don't get me wrong, I'm wholeheartedly with the lockout timer, however I think this would be another useful addition. When someone tries to join CT for the first time a chat message could show up:

"Please confirm that you have read the rules in the window on the left of your screen before joining CT."

You can't expect people to learn everything through osmosis I suppose.

• Like 2

The problem is the server should be near-autonomous with admins only needing to come on to deal with the occasional mass freekiller/mic spammer. Expecting players to know, read, and accept the general JB rules upon first time connecting is quite risky IMHO. I agree with your approach in terms of "one free pass", but this only works when admins are online. While many new players have already played on other servers, the safer route is to have them sit out the 25 minutes (only ~5 rounds) and see how SG JB differs from other communities.

In your opinion, what rules need more than 25 minutes to become well-versed in? What are some rules/situations a new player may not see in their first 25 minutes on the server?

The most common misconceptions held be new CTs are:

-1 knife length away from CTs is implied (I guess they get this from other servers

-Conspiring to rebel is KOS (things like "boost to the scout")

-Last CT can kill indiscriminately

-Following CTs around on a fd is not allowed

You'd think that people would learn these things after 25 minutes (I know I did), but it doesn't always work out that way. I don't know if there's a plugin to make this happen, but I would like it if new players had to read each section of the rules before joining CT.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  697

Will edit this post later today w/ my opinion.

EDIT: Here goes.

TL:DR - CT lockout timer of 25 minutes should not change.

Reasons for increasing the timer:

- CT candidates get to experience nuances that don't appear within the first ~5 rounds of playing on JB, and learn how these situations are dealt with

Rebuttal: ~5 rounds is enough to learn the basics, and any player can follow a "do as I do" type of learning and follow how their fellow CTs are reacting to the situation. In any case, the info in !rules is enough to cover most/all situations, and players can ask others for help.

- Increasing the timer lowers the chance of players coming on just to freekill

Rebuttal: Players who want to freekill will always find an opportunity to regardless of whether or not the timer is increased. New players should not be punished for the actions of a select few, of whom can promptly be dealt with via player complaint/!calladmin.

Reasons for removing the timer:

- Players can learn on-the-go through !rules and following their teammates on CT

Rebuttal: As someone who still remembers their first time on JB, I had no clue what the hell I was doing. The concept is pretty easy to get, but nuances like warning shots instead of instant spraydowns, LRs, distance orders, etc. take a while to get. ~5 rounds on T side will introduce players to the common rules/differing factors of SG vs. other JB servers.

- Having a timer pushes away players who are already familiar with JB from other communities

Rebuttal: Have not seen an instance where players are 100% familiar with the differences between SG and other communities upon first time connecting. Furthermore, players new to the JB gamemode will have 0 familiarity. There must be a balance between creating a comfortable environment for players familiar with JB from other communities vs. players new to the JB gamemode, aka a CT lockout timer short enough to accomodate both.

Reasons for keeping the timer:

- As discussed in the previous point, having a short (25 minute) timer accomodates both players new to the JB gamemode and players familiar with it already from different communities

- 25 minutes (~5 rounds) is enough time to learn the basics of JB, but may not be enough to learn more nuanced things like forced deathgames, blatant rebel, etc. These situations can be explained on-the-go as they may not occur on a round-to-round basis

Feel free to quote and discuss :)

This captures exactly how I feel and couldn't have put it better myself except I would like to add that I feel that if it were to be increase it would drive away potential regs 25 minutes is enough to discern the main differences from other servers and wait 2 hours is obnoxious.

• Like 1

Reply to Thread

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.