? servers

? players online

Fiber Optic Internet

• Content Count:  484

As of now, I get about 50-60 ping while playing on TTT with broadband internet from AT&T at a speed of (at least what it's supposed to be) 50MB/s, but considering other people live in my house and stuff I get around 5-6MB/s myself. If I were to get ATT Fiber, what would my ping look like? I know fiber optic internet is extremely fast but I just wanna know how good it is if you also consider ping and not just download/upload speeds. Also, if you have fiber optic internet please leave some positives and negatives of having it, I would like to know more about it before I make a decision to get it (or at least influence my dad to get it lol). Thanks!

Edited by Nano

• Content Count:  11501

I loved having it. The only negative about it imo was you can’t move your modem around without having them come out and set up a new point (at least for me anyways). As far as ping goes - not really. It may lower your ping, but not by much, if any. Installing FO doesnt change the round trip time really: what would is if we moved the server location closer. My ping changed by virtually nothing when i went to FO. I’ve been playing SG for over ten years now and have consistently always had a ping of around 100. It is what it is.

• Like 2

I loved having it. The only negative about it imo was you can’t move your modem around without having them come out and set up a new point (at least for me anyways). As far as ping goes - not really. It may lower your ping, but not by much, if any. Installing FO doesnt change the round trip time really: what would is if we moved the server location closer. My ping changed by virtually nothing when i went to FO. I’ve been playing SG for over ten years now and have consistently always had a ping of around 100. It is what it is.

That's honestly a shock for me since FO is supposed to be "X-TREME QUICK SPEEDS" and stuff so I thought my ping could go up lol. It doesn't really matter too much I guess since 50-60 ping isn't even bad. Anyways, not being able to move the modem and stuff isn't a problem since I already can't move it anyways cause if I move it my internet in my entire house goes down.

Thanks for your input.

• Content Count:  1583

When fiber optic boasts higher speeds, it usually just means wider bandwidth. Our fiber optic didn't affect my ping at all. There's things that you can do on your end that should help though. Try getting an extender, using Ethernet instead of WiFi if you aren't already, and changing your DNS might help. 50 is still a relatively average ping, so I'd be more concerned with improving your skills or other peripherals if you're trying to git gud.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  353

I'm not saying you will get lower ping, but my ping on fiber is always less than 17. The same area with cable had me at less than 60. It can go down, but it isnt guaranteed...but it is likely.

I will never go back to non-fiber internet unless I have to.

• Like 1

Welp I'm getting fiber optic internet bois. The AT&T guy is coming tomorrow to talk to my dad. Hopefully everything goes smoothly and I get my BLAZING FAST 1000 Mbs SPEED. Thanks for everyone's input. Also @Gentoo frick you, telling me to get better and shit. Suck my wiener.

Reply to Thread