Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ejivis
    The Rock

New CS:GO Launch Option Optimization

Placing the launch option "-d3d9ex" in your startup config has the potential to optimize the game for you. This is aimed more at low end computers from what I can tell so far, however, the launch option will make alt+tabbing back into the game instant for just about everyone. I tested the option on my machine and I lost an average of 5fps on the Workshop FPS benchmark map. I did however gain the ability to alt+tab instantly again. This is a new command so further discoveries could be made. Whether or not this affects input lag is still up in the air. For now, it seems that you should test the launch option on your system individually to see how it benefits you and weigh it out with the previous configuration. It has the capability of increasing fps substantially. This was not the case for me, but I do play on 1440p instead of 1080p.

Explanation:
    "To be more precise, it presumably enables DirectX 9Ex which supports the flip model presentation mode. This makes drawing to screen use less memory. As put by Microsoft:

Flip Mode Present [which is added in 9Ex] reduces system memory usage by reducing the number of reads and writes by the Direct3D runtime for the windowed frame composition by [the Windows window manager]. This reduces the system power consumption and overall memory usage.

Super simplified (and to the best of my knowledge; I don't have any experience with DirectX), rendering used to happen by rendering to a buffer, giving that buffer to Windows, Windows copying that buffer for private use (e.g. for moving around windowed applications), and then finally drawing that buffer to screen. In Windows 7 and above 9Ex allows sharing the buffer between Windows and the application, so the copy step by Windows doesn't have to happen any more."
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...x-improvements
    https://old.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffen...3d9ex_command/

Discussion:
    https://old.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffen...launch_option/
    https://twitter.com/priusCSGO/status...41066831671296

Current issue with Faceit Anti-Cheat:
    https://twitter.com/HOUNGOUNGAGNE/st...110911488?s=09

3kliksphilip:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5va...ature=youtu.be

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Ejivis For This Useful Post:
    AIex (03-07-2019), Cept For Her (03-07-2019), Polarzz (03-07-2019), Suirina (03-07-2019), TheCharizard (03-07-2019), ThRza (03-07-2019), tides (03-07-2019), Toasty (03-07-2019), Wawa (03-07-2019)

Cept For Her
    SG Fanboy

Bless your soul for letting us know this grand knowledge. Maybe my laptop can actually run csgo at a decent rate now so I can play scrim at a decent framerate for once and not get shit on for going 2-18 on my first game

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cept For Her For This Useful Post:
    Ejivis (03-07-2019)

Darnias
    PM me feet pics
    It gives no actual fps, results vary on each device, how it does make the game alt tab almost instantly.

Ejivis
    The Rock
    Quote Originally Posted by Darnias View Post
    It gives no actual fps, results vary on each device, how it does make the game alt tab almost instantly.
    It has the potential to give 100fps boost to some users. This is rare, but a 10%+ increase is very popular.

Darnias
    PM me feet pics
    Just because some guy on reddit said it gave him 100 fps, doesn't mean it's true.

Wawa
    Where's the gamers?
    I've seen mixed results so far from others in terms of fps stats at different resolutions and etc. I'm interested to see 3kliksphilip make a video on this launch command line.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Wawa For This Useful Post:
    Cept For Her (03-07-2019)

Fuze
    Slayer of Grandmas
    Instant alt-tabbing sign me up

John
    Sandbox Sentinel

Quote Originally Posted by Fuze View Post
    Instant alt-tabbing sign me up
    Just put the game in borderless windowed. My game alt tabs like butter.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John For This Useful Post:
    Nate S (03-08-2019), Toasty (03-07-2019)

Ejivis
    The Rock
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Just put the game in borderless windowed. My game alt tabs like butter.
    This causes input lag. It is not recommended if you want the ultimate response rate and smoothness. That is why people do not use borderless windowed.

John
    Sandbox Sentinel

Quote Originally Posted by Ejivis View Post
    This causes input lag. It is not recommended if you want the ultimate response rate and smoothness. That is why people do not use borderless windowed.
    I don't think anyone is going to notice the most miniscule amount of input lag. I have been playing CS:GO in borderless windowed for the past 4-5 years and I had no clue it even caused input lag. It's barely noticeable.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to John For This Useful Post:
    English (03-07-2019)