? servers

? players online

Providing new players with tips when !lr, !fo, and forced deathgames occur

• Content Count:  2342

Originally was going to post this in the admin section but I'd like to hear public opinion about it!

In general, with the more features that get added (!fo, !lr, forced deathgames), more complications arise (no freedays during !fo, you can only LR with =6). It gets harder for new players to jump in and it's a huge turnoff.

I'd like to see the introduction of tips and banners when these "out-of-norm" situations occur. All players have some form of !tips plugin enabled which can be toggled on and off, and defaults to on. When a forced deathgame occurs, a CT must type !forceddeathgame or something similar which prompts all users with !tips enabled to have a side menu appear (similar to !rules) with the multiple restrictions: a deathgame can only be forced with =6, CTs must only use map-provided deathgames, etc.. Similar things can appear for !fo where a reminder appears stating that no freedays can be given out with !fo.

The reason for this proposed change is to inform new players of what's going on, remind regulars of the restrictions placed on each of these commands, and abstract away lengthly information from the already-cluttered !rules and !faq/info into an accessible format.

Let me know what you think :).

• Like 1
Edited by fantastic

• Content Count:  115

personally, i do think the "!tips" idea could just be implemented into the "!rules" section or just replace it as the ingame guide while rules would redirect to a prompt to the forum rules.

there seems to be a bit of a divide to where the rules in the ingame "!rules" aren't as updated as the rules being implemented, so im confident just revamping the format to be more user-friendly will also come with updating the rules for the most relevant rules being readily available for easy access to it.

• Like 1

personally, i do think the "!tips" idea could just be implemented into the "!rules" section or just replace it as the ingame guide while rules would redirect to a prompt to the forum rules.

there seems to be a bit of a divide to where the rules in the ingame "!rules" aren't as updated as the rules being implemented, so im confident just revamping the format to be more user-friendly will also come with updating the rules for the most relevant rules being readily available for easy access to it.

I agree that the !rules could just be updated with new rules/norms each time a change is implemented, but the goal of my suggestion was to provide information for situations "as they happen" vs. a short essay new players are expected to read upon connect. There are basic norms/concepts which are fundamental to Jailbreak and should be a one-time read through !rules (the gist of CTs vs. Ts, Ts try to rebel, no freekilling, etc.), and there are rarer situations which I think should be introduced as they occur (forced deathgames, lr, etc.).

Thank you for your input!

• Like 1

• Content Count:  115

I agree that the !rules could just be updated with new rules/norms each time a change is implemented, but the goal of my suggestion was to provide information for situations "as they happen" vs. a short essay new players are expected to read upon connect. There are basic norms/concepts which are fundamental to Jailbreak and should be a one-time read through !rules (the gist of CTs vs. Ts, Ts try to rebel, no freekilling, etc.), and there are rarer situations which I think should be introduced as they occur (forced deathgames, lr, etc.).

Thank you for your input!

oh sorry about that, i must have read it wrong or something, lmao

now that it's been clarified, i do believe that while giving players a heads-up on the oddities of the server is important, i still find it should be more the responsibility of the players to inform themselves of these rules rather than coaxing the information in a way that may be unnatural to the feel and function of the server.

if i can recall, there were a few points brought across some of the community meetings about the feel of our jailbreak not wanting to follow in the steps of places like XG with unnecessary and minimal popups for players to encounter as they play. i may just be dated, but if this still reigns true, then an addition of an extra menu for whenever a CT feels to prompt it maybe just become a bit much for some players and all-in-all be more of a hassle for cts to customarily do this every time they wish to do a deathgame.

not to imply this would never happen, but knowing how some ct players are a lot less involved in giving orders as often, it would be natural that the command would see use in scares times where more attentive cts would join.

oh sorry about that, i must have read it wrong or something, lmao

now that it's been clarified, i do believe that while giving players a heads-up on the oddities of the server is important, i still find it should be more the responsibility of the players to inform themselves of these rules rather than coaxing the information in a way that may be unnatural to the feel and function of the server.

if i can recall, there were a few points brought across some of the community meetings about the feel of our jailbreak not wanting to follow in the steps of places like XG with unnecessary and minimal popups for players to encounter as they play. i may just be dated, but if this still reigns true, then an addition of an extra menu for whenever a CT feels to prompt it maybe just become a bit much for some players and all-in-all be more of a hassle for cts to customarily do this every time they wish to do a deathgame.

not to imply this would never happen, but knowing how some ct players are a lot less involved in giving orders as often, it would be natural that the command would see use in scares times where more attentive cts would join.

This was one of my concerns as well with the suggestion. My hope was that by making !tips togglable it would minimize on-screen distractions for those who wanted it minimized and already know about the rules. I initially didn't think that a simple command like !forcedeathgame would be too much of a hassle, but when you mention not wanting to disrupt the "flow" of JB I have to say I agree with you. It seems unnatural to need to type a command in order to perform a verbal order. Regardless, such a menu can still be implemented for things like !fo and !lr where a command has to be typed anyway and the menu is togglable.

Again, thanks for your input :).

• Like 1

• Content Count:  5674

While the idea is awesome, it requires a whole new plugin to be made for a seemingly small benefit. It's not something we want to allocate any time towards currently with all of the projects we have in the works.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

• Like 2

Reply to Thread