View Poll Results: What should SG do?

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Leave it exactly where it is

    51 48.11%
  • Amend the rule (post below)

    13 12.26%
  • Go back to the old way of banning all racism

    42 39.62%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 38 of 38
  1. #31
    Tweedledee
    SG Professional
    Tweedledee's Avatar
    Join Date:
    January 2019
    Location:
    New York
    Posts:
    266
    Quote Originally Posted by Here comes dat chin View Post
    Mind my preaching here, but when a black person says a racial slur, I know for a fact that he isn't using it hurtfully. I can't be so sure when anyone else says it.
    Unwoke sheep here but what do you want us to do? The use of racial slurs has been allowed for months and it isn’t used like crazy until someone gets a train going. What pisses me of the most is what I quoted. You can tell when someone is using the n word to be racist. Let me say that again, you can tell. I’ve never seen someone on SG servers use the n word (hard r and all) to put someone down or to belittle them. If that were to happen, the victim of this situation can always make a player complaint and if an admin were to see this happen he would tell the player to stop.

    Not sure where you live in “THE U.S.A” but where I live, thin skin like that no longer exists. The n word is common koine in a lot of places, why can’t it also be used on our servers? Plus, play MM for long enough, you’ll eventually find people abusing the word too. As Fuze stated, if you really have such a problem you can go find another server (or another game, I heard Minecraft still bans no-no words)

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tweedledee For This Useful Post:
    TheZZL (04-16-2019)

  3. #32
    TheZZL
    VIP
    TheZZL's Avatar
    Join Date:
    October 2018
    Location:
    New York
    Posts:
    633
    Quote Originally Posted by Tweedledee View Post
    Not sure where you live in “THE U.S.A” but where I live, thin skin like that no longer exists.
    Unfortunately in NY no one has thick skin. Anyway:

    On lots of SG servers like TTT and JB yes, you'll have those people using the N word. They'll use it jokingly here and there, and they'll get a laugh out of some players. But when someone is using it offensively as an insult, something happens. Either people try not to acknowledge it and maybe the person will come to the realization themselves, or they'll get told off by countless players. I know we have a large population of young and dumb kids but we still have common sense. We stand up for the somewhat right things, even on a game like CS:GO. @Here comes dat chin I know what you mean and in some ways I agree with you, but like what @Fuze said we're in a good free space at SG right now and I don't think we should change it.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to TheZZL For This Useful Post:
    Tweedledee (04-16-2019)

  5. #33
    delirium
    Dazed and Confused
    delirium's Avatar
    Join Date:
    March 2009
    Posts:
    4,339



    This Identity politics bullshit needs to stop. Its okay to disagree with the rules. It's not okay to come on here and say shit like "when a black person uses the word I know for a fact that he's not using it hurtfully" there's no way you can honestly think this way man. If your argument was a bucket it could never hold water because there's so many holes in the shit that you're saying.

    At the end of the day if you disagree with the language being used it should apply to everyone end of story. This bullshit you're spewing about black people don't mean any harm with the word is every bit as racist as the words you're crying about. Its unfortunate that you feel uncomfortable on the servers at times due to this rule change in which I would plead for you to record situations in which you believe that these words are being used in a way that's not conducive to a decent server environment.

    It's honestly mind boggling how sensitive some of this new generation is at times

  6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:
    bat (04-16-2019), Cept For Her (04-16-2019), eXtr3m3 (04-16-2019), IntenseFajita (04-16-2019), McBride (04-17-2019), Ned (04-16-2019), Ray (04-16-2019), Soul (04-16-2019), TheZZL (04-16-2019), Tweedledee (04-16-2019)

  7. #34
    Here comes dat chin
    SG Regular
    Here comes dat chin's Avatar
    Join Date:
    June 2017
    Location:
    THE U.S.A.
    Posts:
    95
    I have a lot to get through, so I'll put it into a single comment. Lots of points to address, oh boy. The elipses (...) indicates that I've not included part of a quote, because it's not necessary for me to respond to it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fuze View Post

    I have many friends who are African American and while I won't say it around them purely out of respect for them the word is not inherently racist. Servers seem to be fine doing it and the laid back rule imho seems to be one of the biggest breathes of fresh air that I've seen in a long time... Anyway, I will freely use the n word on the internet and yet people at my job seem to like me as well as I generally get along with everyone I meet ... . If you feel so disgusted with yourself when you play maybe try a better server that will fuel the god complex you seem to have.
    It's strange that you won't say racial slurs around the people that it would offend. It's strange that you're comfortable with online but not in person. It's strange that you think it's respectful not to say the n word but not disrespectful to say it. Biggest breaths of fresh air? As if you've been sitting under so much oppression in the past, and now you're free to slur all you like? The part about people liking you well enough is kind of silly. "I don't see any consequences of my actions, so my actions must be alright?" I doubt that you're not making people uncomfortable. If a racial slur was made at you, and everyone around you was different from you, yeah obviously you'd laugh it off, hence my comment regarding black people not being able to identify themselves online as such, for fear of harassment. You have a point about me getting away from this now-toxic community, though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tweedledee View Post
    The use of racial slurs has been allowed for months and it isn’t used like crazy until someone gets a train going. What pisses me of the most is what I quoted. You can tell when someone is using the n word to be racist. Let me say that again, you can tell. I’ve never seen someone on SG servers use the n word (hard r and all) to put someone down or to belittle them. If that were to happen, the victim of this situation can always make a player complaint and if an admin were to see this happen he would tell the player to stop.

    Not sure where you live in “THE U.S.A” but where I live, thin skin like that no longer exists. The n word is common koine in a lot of places, why can’t it also be used on our servers? Plus, play MM for long enough, you’ll eventually find people abusing the word too. As Fuze stated, if you really have such a problem you can go find another server (or another game, I heard Minecraft still bans no-no words)
    Alright, piece by piece, let's go. You bring up a good point about the past two months with the new rule, and I admit that I don't have as much experience with the new rule as anyone else as had. You must have been living under a rock if you've never heard racial abuse on the servers or by its players. I used to play on the servers quite a lot, and sure, the community was really good about controlling its behavior while on the servers. But when I got invited to comp games and heard SG players calling the enemy team niggers (haha, again funny joke, just a prank), I know it's just a front that they put up on the servers. I'd love to name names and shame shames, but that'd be inappropriate. And making a player complaint seems useless after seeing admins here being sympathetic to racism.

    Hell yeah, I live in the U.S.A. Oh, boo hoo, civil rights and common decency, we're such fucking pansies here. Sorry that we have a history of the word and didn't learn it online like I assume you have. The fact that the n-word is so common online isn't a solution; it's a problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheZZL View Post
    Unfortunately in NY no one has thick skin. Anyway:

    But when someone is using it offensively as an insult, something happens. Either people try not to acknowledge it and maybe the person will come to the realization themselves, or they'll get told off by countless players. I know we have a large population of young and dumb kids but we still have common sense. We stand up for the somewhat right things, even on a game like CS:GO. @Here comes dat chin I know what you mean and in some ways I agree with you, but like what @Fuze said we're in a good free space at SG right now and I don't think we should change it.
    Nope. Nothing. Nothing happens. A player comes online and gets killed and says, "fucking nigger," that means that he's mad. He's angry at the other player, and the first thing that comes to his mind are those damn blacks. That's not a heated gamer moment; that's racism. The problem is that no one acknowledges it. The people saying nigger are the same autists who can't read a room. Even worse, once one player brings it up, others latch onto it and just keep pumping out slurs. Also the young and dumb kids part is bullshit. These aren't 12yos saying the n-word. These are teenagers and adults. They should know better. And even if it was the kids saying it, how the fuck is that okay? That behavior needs to be stopped, not encouraged or laughed at.


    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post

    This Identity politics bullshit needs to stop. Its okay to disagree with the rules. It's not okay to come on here and say shit like "when a black person uses the word I know for a fact that he's not using it hurtfully" there's no way you can honestly think this way man. If your argument was a bucket it could never hold water because there's so many holes in the shit that you're saying.

    At the end of the day if you disagree with the language being used it should apply to everyone end of story. This bullshit you're spewing about black people don't mean any harm with the word is every bit as racist as the words you're crying about. Its unfortunate that you feel uncomfortable on the servers at times due to this rule change in which I would plead for you to record situations in which you believe that these words are being used in a way that's not conducive to a decent server environment.

    It's honestly mind boggling how sensitive some of this new generation is at times
    Ohhooo hooo, I've been waiting to take a crack at this one. A black gamer coming online and being called nigger shouldn't be dismissed as "identity politics." What's so outrageous about thinking that a black person isn't using nigga hurtfully? You've been watching too much Boondocks and practicing too much mental gymnastics if you think it's just a word and it can be used by anyone in any way. Words have connotations. I shouldn't have to tell that to someone who knows at least one language. But hey, I'm just a gen-z emotional bitch, apparently, because I actually care about the things that people say. This new generation better get off my damn lawn, trying to tell me not to call people niggers, who do they think they are.

    --------------------------------------------

    That's a lot. To summarize, the players on this server are seemingly incapable of putting themselves in another person's shoes. It was addressed that the euros are using English words without knowing their actual meanings, then trying to teach me what the word actually means. We also learned today that the old man isn't out of touch, it's the kids who are wrong. Join us next week for another episode of Removed Comments.

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Here comes dat chin For This Useful Post:
    Fonzi (04-17-2019), Tyymunk (04-16-2019)

  9. #35
    delirium
    Dazed and Confused
    delirium's Avatar
    Join Date:
    March 2009
    Posts:
    4,339
    Nice argument there bud. I think you know you're grasping at straws at this point.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:
    not_ban_evading (04-16-2019), TheZZL (04-16-2019)

  11. #36
    roux

    [DATA EXPUNGED]


    roux's Avatar
    Join Date:
    February 2016
    Location:
    Quebec
    Posts:
    2,156
    Quote Originally Posted by Here comes dat chin View Post
    goo goo gah gah baby bullshit
    Strawmen, strawmen, caricatures...

    For someone who hasn't been on the servers in 4 months, boy do you have a strong opinion on this matter. Surprisingly, all the carefully crafted arguments you've cherrypicked end up being absolutely marginal behaviors on our server. It's easy to come on the forum, argue semantics, act like some kind of warrior of justice on here. However, have you played on our servers? Have you seen what it looks like in practice? Clearly not.

    This change wasn't rash, it was a transition that came to fruition after months and months of discussion among the higher staff and the community. Sure, the first week was hectic because of how big of a change it was, but now it is fine.





    Quote Originally Posted by Here comes dat chin View Post
    A player comes online and gets killed and says, "fucking nigger," that means that he's mad. He's angry at the other player, and the first thing that comes to his mind are those damn blacks
    It seems you really haven't been around. Most of the situations you've described above are, coincidentally, not allowed on our server. The words are allowed, the hateful use s you've decribed above aren't.

    This thread is a gangbang and I believe a decision has already been made, 4 months ago to be precise. Locking it and handing it over to @Caution if he dares to oppose your point of view.

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to roux For This Useful Post:
    TheZZL (04-16-2019), Tyymunk (04-16-2019)

  13. #37
    Fuze
    Slayer of Grandmas
    Fuze's Avatar
    Join Date:
    August 2009
    Posts:
    1,397
    I'm not even gonna bother addressing anything in this post because its your 7th grade civics essay that you probably got a D on. If you can't comprehend the fact that the internet is inherently more relaxed when it comes to uhh just about everything than in real life that is your problem not ours. Maybe your just not old enough for the internet amigo. We don't allow genuine true blue racism which would be hate speech. Just in case you didn't pay attention in history, I have as much of a right to say the n word on the internet as I do in real life, the difference being nobody is gonna gun me down on sight for it cause they don't have thick skin.

    And just cause I know for a fact that you won't have any real substance filled answer I'm gonna ask the question.

    Just what consequences are you referring to if I were to call someone the n word in real life? And please leave out the "theyre gonna beat you up!"

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Fuze For This Useful Post:
    TheZZL (04-16-2019)

  15. #38
    Caution
    Because I was Inverted
    Caution's Avatar
    Join Date:
    October 2008
    Posts:
    11,328
    Quote Originally Posted by roux View Post
    Locking it and handing it over to @Caution if he dares to oppose your point of view.
    I read

    "Unwoke sheep" and "but when a black person says a racial slur, I know for a fact that he isn't using it hurtfully. I can't be so sure when anyone else says it."

    and I stopped taking it seriously. Point blank: you're either trolling or you're a racist. There were a lot of good points brought up in this thread when all of this was originally being brought up, but saying that a black person can use a racial slur and you know for a fact that he isn't using it hurtfully makes you a racist, in my book. I don't respect that point of view at all, and I personally think it's absolutely what's wrong with the world. If you think saying 'nigga' is bad, then it should be bad for anyone and everyone to say it. Completely dumb argument, and I agree with much of what has been already been said about that in particular.

    In reference to the rule overall, there has been a vote taken, and a majority of the users like the rule the way it stands. It grants admins leniency to not allow things they deem as crossing the line - I actually just kicked someone for repeatedly saying nigga and nigger after like every sentence. It gets to a point where it gets to be excessive, just like faggot, bitch, fuckass, poopdick, etc, and at that point can fall under harassment.

  16. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Caution For This Useful Post:
    Cam (04-16-2019), Cept For Her (04-17-2019), eXtr3m3 (04-16-2019), fantastic (04-16-2019), IntenseFajita (04-16-2019), Kopsta (04-16-2019), Lokibelowkey (04-16-2019), Noxstar (04-17-2019), Ray (04-16-2019), Soul (04-17-2019), TheZZL (04-16-2019), ThRza (04-16-2019), Tweedledee (04-16-2019), Tyymunk (04-16-2019), URPALERP (04-16-2019)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •