? servers

? players online

RTV on new maps

• Content Count:  30

Every time the ZE server switches to a new map or a map not favored by some, there is mic spam for everyone to RTV. I know players don't have to RTV but it's a mob mentality and monkey see, monkey do. I feel there should be a longer delay before RTV can be initiated. (Half the map timer or on certain maps, after a stage or 2 has been completed.) We have many varieties in terms of map choices but the RTV abuse results in the same maps played 24/7.

or..

RTV is triggered, then the map choices should only include maps selected by Wesker. (This pool does not include maps that are frequently played.) This map pool is only during RTV as when timeleft reaches 0, then nominations will show up.

• Content Count:  2162

The value for rtv delay currently is set to two minutes, map cooldown is set to somewhere around 25-30 maps i believe. Along with these, rtv currently requires 60% of players in order to initiate a rockthevote. If it fails, the timeout is 4 minutes until the next rtv can be initiated.

There are a few options we have to do here. We can increase the rtv delay when the map changes to be longer than 2 minutes, we can increase the map cooldown amount, raise the percentage required for an rtv, or change it to where an rtv changes after the round has ended.

Personally, Id like to change it to rtv'ing at round end (although may cause throwing in some cases), and increasing the mapchange rtv to delay to probably four minutes

• Content Count:  430

I don't really play ZE, but what I can say is that everyone has their own choice to RTV if they want. As you said, people do follow what people say and vote for the popular maps, but they can then realize that they don't like the map, and just not vote for it next time. Once people, especially new players, learn what maps they do and don't like, they won't vote for the majority just because someone is pressuring the server. That will lead to less monkey see monkey do business; they'll just vote for what they like. But maybe the map truly isn't good and people RTV for a reason. And if they're mic spamming about it, an admin can simply calm everyone down or mute if needed. But if the same 4 or 5 maps are always being played, then that's a whole different JB type problem. Although, changing RTV time requirements closer to the end of the round could be good.

Edited by Toasty

• Content Count:  554

Yes, players RTV maps when they don't like the map in general, others influence RTV by spamming on mic/chat, or they cannot beat the map.

As Cept said, increasing the RTV delay after map change would probably be the best choice. In my old post, I remember suggesting the RTV map change at the end of the round, but this may cause delaying and point farming. On maps like rush B, you can kill the zombies and point farm FOREVER by holding the long skinny hallway. If you see players constantly spamming RTV on mic or chat when admins are not online, you can post a player complaint here https://www.steam-gamers.net/forum/forms.php?do=form&fid=4.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  56

I mean a change you could consider for dealing with overplayed maps is to consider ordering maps in the !nominations list not on alphabetical order, but on lack of popularity. So if a map was just recently played it goes to the back of the Nom list. Course this is designed to encourage playing all maps and maybe the player base doesn't want that or reacts slow to the change. Just a small detour of a thought in to solve part of the rtv problem. Maybe throwing crazy escape to the back of the nominations means its played less and people like me don't demand rtv's for it. Hard to say with the voting mentality.

Don't mind either type of nom style but just to get the idea that maybe how you structure the maps being nominated helps if this is deemed a problem.

I mean a change you could consider for dealing with overplayed maps is to consider ordering maps in the !nominations list not on alphabetical order, but on lack of popularity. So if a map was just recently played it goes to the back of the Nom list. Course this is designed to encourage playing all maps and maybe the player base doesn't want that or reacts slow to the change. Just a small detour of a thought in to solve part of the rtv problem. Maybe throwing crazy escape to the back of the nominations means its played less and people like me don't demand rtv's for it. Hard to say with the voting mentality.

Don't mind either type of nom style but just to get the idea that maybe how you structure the maps being nominated helps if this is deemed a problem.

Dont think this would a) be possible as far as i know, and b) have any significant changes in map nominations. People would still have access to do /nominate crazy, using the partial map name function of the nominate command and not have to scroll through the !nominate list. Map diversity is a hard thing to come by on all servers, and the only real way we can encourage different maps is by changing the maps on rotation either weekly or bi-weekly to allow different maps to be played, however this may encourage even more overplaying of some maps when they are avilable.

Other than that, the only other way to encourage map diversity is by encouraging people to play a different map they dont know yet

I increased the rtv cooldown on map change to 3 minutes instead of 2. hoping this encourages people to give the map a chance and make their own decisions rather than just follow the bandwagon of people who dislike a certain map.

Be sure to let me know if this is a good/bad change and we can adjust the value some more if needed

• Like 2

• Content Count:  554

@Cept For Her my old tf2 server I played on that this nomination style, would always have a cycle of maps with the popular ones often in the back. Used normal nomination plugin as well.

I’m going jump in and say, most regulars don’t look through the entire nomination list to nominate maps. They have their own favorite maps they want to play, and they nominate without looking through the nomination list (including myself). Some players also created binds to nominate maps, and most of them are part of the ZE’s “popular” maps. I like your suggestion of putting the popular maps on the back of the nomination list for players actually taking their time looking through everything, but I feel there isn’t much difference to that. Usually when we switch to a different map, the experienced regulars take all the Nomination space, so the others can not nominate maps in time. What we could do in addition to putting the popular maps in the back of the nomination list, is for players to receive a 1 to 2 nomination cooldown, for every nomination. For an example, a player nominates frostdrake during tyranny, and another player nominates crazy also during tyranny. After the next map switch, both players who nominated a map during tyranny cannot nominate a map during the next map. This way we can give a chance for the other players to nominate maps. We can have a diversity of tryhard maps and easy/chill maps.

• Like 1
Edited by MidNight_Ace

• Content Count:  26

What we could do in addition to putting the popular maps in the back of the nomination list, is for players to receive a 1 to 2 nomination cooldown, for every nomination. For an example, a player nominates frostdrake during tyranny, and another player nominates crazy also during tyranny. After the next map switch, both players who nominated a map during tyranny cannot nominate a map during the next map. This way we can give a chance for the other players to nominate maps. We can have a diversity of tryhard maps and easy/chill maps.

So you're part of the problem...I'm just jk.

I fully support this suggestion btw.

Reply to Thread