Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Fuze
    Slayer of Grandmas
    Quote Originally Posted by DancingMoonLight View Post
    Healthy discussions my ass
    Sorry about my friend guys he's a little slow. He watched a Jake Paul video and now he won't stop chasing clout. Just ignore him from now on he'll stop

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fuze For This Useful Post:
    Kieran (02-05-2019)

crazedkangaroo
    SG Member
    Hello,
    I'm crazedkangaroo.
    I'd consider myself a regular on the mg server but I don't really have a huge presence on the forums outside of the arts area. 90% of the reason I join the mg server was for course. I mean sure, I enjoy the other game modes but most of the time i just find myself bhoping around and not always focusing on the actual gamemode that's active. A big reason i play mg as opposed to simply going to a course or bhop server is for the pauses when i die. 100% of the art i have posted on this forum has been done between rounds on the mg server. If I'm not doing art I'm watching youtube videos. this break after i die is the main reason i join the mg server. this break is what made course on the mg server feel more like a minigame, feel like a spectacle. dieing early and getting to watch Alex fly through what i had just failed was a good aspect to the server. Cheering when he beat it, feeling bad when he made a mistake or learning where i can improve by watching what he did. Infinite respawns is my main gripe with the change. When i want to take my attention a way from the game for a few minutes i feel like I'm missing out on opportunities to play. even as i write this I'm sitting in spectator, watching as people attempt the course. Course has turned from something i can enjoy to actually a point of stress for me, where I'm always racing for the best time and getting upset when i fail over and over. And then being forced to sit through this for 30 minutes is just excessive. A standard is required for all maps on the server, regardless of gamemode. You wouldn't want a deathmatch map to be 30 minutes with infinite respawns because then it just gets boring, which is exactly what has been happening on the course maps. The new format for course jus t does not work well when it is paired with the rest of the mg server. It is expected that when you die, you have to spectate, but you also get to take a break and take your attention away from the game if you need. I think that the system that is in place would be perfect for a dedicated server of course. But it does not work on the mg server. I think the timer is amazing. its the infinite respawns that causes it to become boring for me. Which, i know, doesn't make much sense. Yea i get more chances to attempt the course. But i enjoy watching other people make their attempts. course was a spectacle sport for those who were good at it. And that's just how I feel.

To summarize: I dislike infinite respawns, I dislike the extended time, I like the timer, love even, and i like the idea of keeping course nominations restricted.
    The current style works great if the server was dedicated to just course but does not mesh well if the expectations of mg. What i would like to see is this style converted to a dedicated server for course, and the old style, with added timer and nominations, to remain on mg.

I tried to avoid bringing in what most people feel on this topic, as i am just sitting in spectator on the mg server as i write this. But i hope you can see where I'm coming from with my points. it's not formatted all fancy or anything and I'm sorry for that but i appreciate you taking the time to read this.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to crazedkangaroo For This Useful Post:
    Dong (02-05-2019), Kieran (02-05-2019), nesquik (02-05-2019), Phoenix Rising (02-05-2019)

tides
    SG Addict
    Am I tripping or is joining spectator broken too? I haven't had a chance to play the updated yet but i've heard a lot of complaints about the "break" or the time where you can "watch someone do the course and learn". I feel like it's only beneficial if you have the chance to join spectator, watch someone complete the stage you're struggling on, then join back and be able to instantly start doing the course again.

Like I said, I haven't played since the update came out so I can't really make any comments.

Kieran
    Professional RDMer
    Now that I got to get on minigames and try it out a bit myself I'll give my feedback on my thoughts. I still believe people were overreacting quite a bit last night and should have at least gave it a chance.

I personally am not a fan of the addition of the timer and the infinite respawns. I enjoy playing course maps; I've been playing course over 3 years now. I also can appreciate the competitiveness of course with going for records and stuff. However, like @crazedkangaroo already brought up, the problem comes more from the fact this is on a minigames server. It all goes back to the previous discussion we had on whether course truly belonged on the mg server.

Minigames has always been the type of game mode where you invite a bunch of friends on and have a chill time. I never really see people "tryhard" on minigames (with the exception of people like @Kyle who shit on me all the time) and most people are there just to relax and have fun. Course can also be a game mode where you can chill, but some people prefer to take it competitively. Introducing the timer and infinite respawn essentially forced players to play it competitively. I know you guys were trying to appeal to the tryhard course players with this one; however, these players need to grind these maps to improve their times and practice the skips... but they have to wait in-between minigames maps to do so. A lot of minigames enthusiasts don't want to be forced into this competitive course setting either and have to wait 40 minutes just to play a minigames map. I think this update just worsened an already existing divide between the server.

Timers and infinite respawn would work well... on a course server. If you guys really want to attract these types of players course needs to be its own identity. If you just make an independent course server and throw in some styles to spice things up I think it would work really well. You could have your competitive or even casual course players play on their own server while allowing mg players to enjoy non-stop minigames/deathrun maps. I would definitely support a server like this being added and would do my best to help out in any way possible.

I don't think trying to keep course and minigames together would be in the best interest of Steam-Gamers anymore. People are constantly expressing their discontent with how things are set up already and forcing it might just make people want to leave.

I took two polls while I was on minigames just to get a snapshot of where the mg population "stands" on this. Obviously this isn't completely accurate, but it shows how split people are on the two game modes and how a good majority of people want a change.

Question 1: Which game mode do you prefer?
    -Minigames - 50%
    -Course - 50%

Question 2: Which would you prefer?
    -Course and Minigames being two different servers (theoretical) - 64%
    -Keeping both game modes on the same server - 36%

I really do appreciate that you guys are looking into major changes for the servers though. It always is great to see when the managers are putting effort into doing their best to improve the server for us. I also fully understand this is a trial run and that you're looking into what the community thinks about it.

Hope any of what I said is taken into consideration.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kieran For This Useful Post:
    Fieldz (02-05-2019)

Dong
    big fag
    Quote Originally Posted by tides View Post
    Am I tripping or is joining spectator broken too? I haven't had a chance to play the updated yet but i've heard a lot of complaints about the "break" or the time where you can "watch someone do the course and learn". I feel like it's only beneficial if you have the chance to join spectator, watch someone complete the stage you're struggling on, then join back and be able to instantly start doing the course again.

Like I said, I haven't played since the update came out so I can't really make any comments.
    It’s really hard to try to explain this to someone who doesn’t play the server all the time but I’m gonna try. The main thing I’ll tell you to do is to go back in this thread and read everything in Phoneix Rising’s post. All the quoted stuff too.

I think the way you’re looking at this tides is more of a bhop or surf server view where it’s common for people to be stuck on a stage or something and have someone just tell you to spec them. What most people are saying is that when you are forced to spectate then you not only will learn the map but you will get more community. Many people enjoy watching people hit hard skips knowing that they only had one life to get the chance. Saying “hey bro hop in spec and watch me hit this skip” isn’t natural. Eventually, everyone will just practice the skips enough to hit them all the time or people won’t think they’re cool anymore because they’re zero challenge to it. Like I said phoneix does a great job at explaining the community behind corse so please read his post. The fun thing about having limited respawns is seeing your friends do cool shit like skips or eat shit. Imagine your the last player alive tides and everyone is watching you. You go to hit a jump and completely eat shit. That’s fucking funny. I’m not going to join spectate to watch that.

One thing kangaroo brought up was how stressed he is now with the autorespawns. I 100% feel the same way that I’m constantly moving, never stopping, and feel like I’m missing out if I stop. Nobody is just going to stop, join spectate, and take a breather. They’ll either rage quit or push themselves to the limit Hunter

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dong For This Useful Post:
    tides (02-05-2019)

Fieldz
    Senior Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    Now that I got to get on minigames and try it out a bit myself I'll give my feedback on my thoughts. I still believe people were overreacting quite a bit last night and should have at least gave it a chance.

I personally am not a fan of the addition of the timer and the infinite respawns. I enjoy playing course maps; I've been playing course over 3 years now. I also can appreciate the competitiveness of course with going for records and stuff. However, like @crazedkangaroo already brought up, the problem comes more from the fact this is on a minigames server. It all goes back to the previous discussion we had on whether course truly belonged on the mg server.

Minigames has always been the type of game mode where you invite a bunch of friends on and have a chill time. I never really see people "tryhard" on minigames (with the exception of people like @Kyle who shit on me all the time) and most people are there just to relax and have fun. Course can also be a game mode where you can chill, but some people prefer to take it competitively. Introducing the timer and infinite respawn essentially forced players to play it competitively. I know you guys were trying to appeal to the tryhard course players with this one; however, these players need to grind these maps to improve their times and practice the skips... but they have to wait in-between minigames maps to do so. A lot of minigames enthusiasts don't want to be forced into this competitive course setting either and have to wait 40 minutes just to play a minigames map. I think this update just worsened an already existing divide between the server.

Timers and infinite respawn would work well... on a course server. If you guys really want to attract these types of players course needs to be its own identity. If you just make an independent course server and throw in some styles to spice things up I think it would work really well. You could have your competitive or even casual course players play on their own server while allowing mg players to enjoy non-stop minigames/deathrun maps. I would definitely support a server like this being added and would do my best to help out in any way possible.

I don't think trying to keep course and minigames together would be in the best interest of Steam-Gamers anymore. People are constantly expressing their discontent with how things are set up already and forcing it might just make people want to leave.

I took two polls while I was on minigames just to get a snapshot of where the mg population "stands" on this. Obviously this isn't completely accurate, but it shows how split people are on the two game modes and how a good majority of people want a change.

Question 1: Which game mode do you prefer?
    -Minigames - 50%
    -Course - 50%

Question 2: Which would you prefer?
    -Course and Minigames being two different servers (theoretical) - 64%
    -Keeping both game modes on the same server - 36%

I really do appreciate that you guys are looking into major changes for the servers though. It always is great to see when the managers are putting effort into doing their best to improve the server for us. I also fully understand this is a trial run and that you're looking into what the community thinks about it.

Hope any of what I said is taken into consideration.
    Just felt like I should add to this. Our quote on quote "course regs" love MG too, so a MG server is still going to have a lot of people on if we do make separate servers. Last time we did a course server, Prez told me that it died within months. If we do things a little differently this time, and hopefully attract people from other course servers (swoobles) and also our own servers, we could definitley keep the population up with some good attention to the server.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fieldz For This Useful Post:
    Phoenix Rising (02-05-2019)