? servers

? players online

Best gaming/music headphones out of this list

• Content Count:  353

I have been doing research on what headphones to get for mainly gaming. I listen to music a lot (mainly alternative rock and indie; sometimes rap and hip hop). I have only ever used closed back headphones. My environment is not noisy, but I do like the subversive feeling. I tried the Game Zero and it was very dull in the bass department. It made people sound slightly robotic. Next I tried the Beyerdynamic Custom Game and they were better, but the sound doesnt feel right. Things sound almost too bassy and muffled while playing games. Truthfully, I am dissatisfied with both (even with their great microphones). I really wanted an all in one headset + mic, but the Beyerdynamic MMX 300 seems to be the only alternative and it is very expensive.

Anyways, I narrowed down a list of potential winners that I was hoping you guys may have experience with. Maybe you have used a few before.

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO $150 (Closed-back)

Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO $180 (Open-back)

Beyerdynamic MMX 300 $350 (Heard these are just DT770s with a microphone. If so, WHY are they $200 more than the DT 770s?)

Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X $90 (Open-back)

Audio Technica ATH-AD900X $130 (Open-back)

Sennheiser HD 58X $150 (Open-back)

HIFIMAN HE4XX $170 (Open-back)

AKG K7XX $200 (Open-back)

Appreciate the help!

• Like 1
Edited by Ejivis

• Content Count:  2693

May I suggest the Audio-Technica M40X and onward? Perfect headphones for me as I play a lot of video games and I listen to music A LOT. They come really neutral and flat out of the box but with an equalizer like Peace you can make it sound to your liking. Audio Equalizers are really helpful.

• Like 1

May I suggest the Audio-Technica M40X and onward? Perfect headphones for me as I play a lot of video games and I listen to music A LOT. They come really neutral and flat out of the box but with an equalizer like Peace you can make it sound to your liking. Audio Equalizers are really helpful.

I thought about putting them on the list, but at the $150+ price-point they were outclassed by the alternatives. For a sub $100 headset, I would argue the M40X is very hard to beat for closed-back.

• Content Count:  361

I'd also recommend putting some affordable audio interfaces on the list, like the highly recommended focusrite Scarlett 2i2. It may be out of some people's budget as this list is around $75-200, but a good amp can make even the cheapest headphones sound great.

• Content Count:  1802

I have Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, not really audio nerd so can't really talk about sound quality. Good thing about these is that it came with three cords: short, long and curly. I have had these for almost three years now. Little warning, these things have tiny plastic stoppers that keep the cups on your head, one of them broke completely off about half a year ago. I 3d printed a fix for it, but its not perfect. They still work but I really need to get new ones as one side is half off my ear. So in other words check for potential break points like these stupid tiny plastic bits.

I'd also recommend putting some affordable audio interfaces on the list, like the highly recommended focusrite Scarlett 2i2. It may be out of some people's budget as this list is around $75-200, but a good amp can make even the cheapest headphones sound great.

Just pointing out you did not have a list in this comment. Was confused the first time I read it.

I got the FIIO EK10 for $70. Seems great so far.

Reply to Thread