? servers

? players online

TTT Mic Cooldown

• Content Count:  1469

Went through some stuff And found this https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=291681

Seems like two good muting systems one of which was created by Francisco where there is a timer that counts down when you talk and when you stop talking it counts back up and the second one is just a maximum of seconds of which you can talk

• Like 2

• Content Count:  1671

Went through some stuff And found this https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=291681

Seems like two good muting systems one of which was created by Francisco where there is a timer that counts down when you talk and when you stop talking it counts back up and the second one is just a maximum of seconds of which you can talk

Seems like this could possibly work, checking this one out. Thanks for the find.

• Content Count:  484

I wouldn't really mind this tbh. On it's prime hours, TTT can get really loud because people just micspam. Especially when there aren't too many admins on. But, since we got my homies @bat and @Ejivis on like everyday it has gone down a lot.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  2579

I think before we do anything to limit people's speech, we should do what we can to fix it first. While a server full of 30 people will tend to get loud, there's several things that contribute to it that need to be cut down on. There's three or so main things that cause excessive comm spam that need to be addressed. When someone shouts "IF I DIE IT'S ___", you need to let them know not to yell, and that you can't KOS off of that. When someone is singing, especially for extended periods of time, you need to warn/mute them. When people are yelling for no reason, you need to mute/warn them. I understand that the gamemode gets intense and sometimes people need to yell KOS's or yell for humor, but when people are yelling for extended periods of time, to mic spam, or yelling at each other, it obstructs comms and gameplay, and they should be muted/warned.

I understand that this is a decently impactful issue on the server, but I'd like to see the rules better enforced before we start restricting how much people are allowed to talk. The only reason I've seen people muted in the last week, was if they we're using a soundboard, or literally eating their mic. I understand wanting to automate the system, but let's deal with the rulebreakers before we punish everyone.

This.

I would hate to limit the capacity of people to express themselves. A plugin doesn't differentiate spam and legitimate microphone usage. This would be like adding an anti-freekill/rdm plugin on TTT/JB. Sure, it catches whoever gets 5 kills in a matter of seconds, but chances are it'll affect innocent players too. It has happened to a good portion of all of us to use our mic for more than 10 seconds in one shot, it'd be kinda ridiculous to completely restrict everyone's right to talk for a couple of idiots' behaviors. I understand the point behind such a measure but the issue isn't big enough for me to think we'd need a plugin to mute x player after y amount of time. It wouldn't solve the problem and would potentially hurt legitimate players.

If the issue is admining, like I see a couple of people here mentioning, sad to say, you'll have to do your job better. Silent rounds are to be used as a last resort, not for fun or simply out of laziness. Target spammers and be tougher on them, but please don't hit the entire server with such a restrictive plugin. If admins abuse silent rounds because they can't handle a server with 4-5 people being obnoxiously loud, they should review their methods or have a complaint sent their way.

I'm kinda surprised that people are in favor of such a plugin, it would seem to me that it'd act more like a disruption rather than a solution.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  1633

I mean, I couldn't really think of any reasons why a player communicating would need to hold down their mic for 10 seconds. Most callouts you only need like 2-3 seconds. 10 seconds is a lot of time to be holding down a mic.

The issue isn't really admining cause most of the time you can't really constitute someone talking on their mic for 10+ seconds as micspam until it gets really out of hand. It just kinda hurts the communicating aspect of TTT when people are talking for too long while players try to give callouts.

I do agree some admins are using silent rounds way too frequently. I’m going to try and discourage other admins from doing them.

I was just interested to see if it could at least be tried out. Seemed like it would have more a positive impact on the server in my head, but I understand the opposition. If it had too many negative consequences then I'd understand it being removed, but it might be worth a shot to at least try it.

If you could give some instances where a player would need to hold down their mic for an extended period of time I would possibly change my mind.

Edited by Kieran

Reply to Thread