? servers

? players online

TTT Mic Cooldown

• Content Count:  1633

I think it would be helpful to have a plugin that automatically mutes players who hold their mics down for 10+ seconds. Once a player is muted, they have a 5 second mic cooldown before they're allowed to use mic again.

Voice chat has been kinda been a little crazy recently whenever the server is full. I understand us admins can mute players, but when the server is really crowded it can be hard to distinguish people who are using their mics excessively from those who are actually playing the game. I also know we can do silent rounds but a lot of the time majority of players are talking about the round when voice chat is being overflowed and it doesn't feel justified to mute them too. Plus silent rounds give a huge advantage to traitors and the round pretty much just becomes boring because there are limited comms and traitors just run around killing people. Silent rounds simply aren't good TTT rounds.

Neither of those options are avaliable when admins aren't on anyways.

TTT heavily relies on communication and I think when voice chat is chaotic the quality of the round is also chaotic. Adding a feature like this would help fix voice chat being overflowed and make the rounds flow better.

I'm sure there is a plugin out there already and this (hopefully) could easily be implemented.

• Like 4
Edited by Charliere

• Content Count:  361

@Kieran JB has something similar to this, as it gets very chaotic when both CTs and Ts are yelling on their mic. I think this could be a pretty useful addition on TTT. Also, timed mutes would be really useful on TTT because often times people who micspam stop after getting warned/muted/kicked.

• Content Count:  5674

@Kieran JB has something similar to this, as it gets very chaotic when both CTs and Ts are yelling on their mic. I think this could be a pretty useful addition on TTT. Also, timed mutes would be really useful on TTT because often times people who micspam stop after getting warned/muted/kicked.

JB doesn't have anything similar to automatic mutes. I think you're talking about Comm Bans which was removed from TTT.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  701

@Dominic thanks, I thought I was going crazy thinking I never heard of anything like that for jb.

If such a plugin exists, I would be on board for trying it. The numbers could be messed with (like how long they can talk b4 mute along with how long they are muted for)but in theory, it isn't a bad idea. I don't know where the whole silent rounds thing came about from, but I'd refrain from doing something like that unless it is absolutely necessary. It's a game, we aren't here to put people in timeout for playing the game. Silent rounds completely ruin TTT's gameplay. Communication is the direct information game innocents need to fight against traitors and making it a silent round is making the entire round pretty much a dud.

I'm guessing this post is in part a response to a few recent new TTT players that have shown up who tend to hold down their mic after talking. I think it could be quite beneficial to have this form of automated "muting" if it's not an excessive mute. Giving them something like 12-15 seconds on the mic, while having them take a few seconds off if they go beyond it seems fine to me. However, it seems like it could also just be a complete waste of "space" towards the plugins on our server. If I knew the mute timer was 11 seconds, I could just let go of the mic and press it again to reset the timer every few seconds or so and still continue with my excessive mic usage. There are so many work arounds to it tbh and it could become a nuisance that harms the flow of the gameplay for people who just want to use the mic for the sake of the game and not to be annoying. Like I said earlier though, I'd be on board to test it if such a plugin exists...

• Like 5

• Content Count:  19

I definitely agree. I'm on the TTT server regularly and, especially today, people are just holding their mics down talking about random things that have nothing to contribute towards the game. I feel like a plugin would work nicely in the server.

If such a plugin exists, I would be on board for trying it. The numbers could be messed with (like how long they can talk b4 mute along with how long they are muted for)but in theory, it isn't a bad idea. I don't know where the whole silent rounds thing came about from, but I'd refrain from doing something like that unless it is absolutely necessary. It's a game, we aren't here to put people in timeout for playing the game. Silent rounds completely ruin TTT's gameplay. Communication is the direct information game innocents need to fight against traitors and making it a silent round is making the entire round pretty much a dud.

I'm guessing this post is in part a response to a few recent new TTT players that have shown up who tend to hold down their mic after talking. I think it could be quite beneficial to have this form of automated "muting" if it's not an excessive mute. Giving them something like 12-15 seconds on the mic, while having them take a few seconds off if they go beyond it seems fine to me. However, it seems like it could also just be a complete waste of "space" towards the plugins on our server. If I knew the mute timer was 11 seconds, I could just let go of the mic and press it again to reset the timer every few seconds or so and still continue with my excessive mic usage. There are so many work arounds to it tbh and it could become a nuisance that harms the flow of the gameplay for people who just want to use the mic for the sake of the game and not to be annoying. Like I said earlier though, I'd be on board to test it if such a plugin exists...

Yeah, I noticed a LOT of admins are starting to use silent rounds too often. I only use them when players are constantly screaming into their mics to the point where communicating is near impossible.

Players who hold down their mic wasn't the only reason I had to make this thread. I think this plugin could do several things:

1) It could stop players from talking way too long in general. We've all had a time where we were using our mic and talked longer than we thought we were. People practically commentate their round and it can get really annoying. You don't need 10+ seconds to get your KOS's/suspicions/warnings/other communications out.

2) Like you mentioned, it would help prevent people from holding down their mic and were unaware they were doing so.

3) I rarely see this happen on TTT, but it could also possibly prevent people from micspamming with a soundboard to an extent. Any song/audio clip over 10 seconds would get cut off easily

Yes, players could still get around it. Players with bad intentions could get around a lot without admin intervention. I made this suggestion more for dealing with the people who are unintentionally making voice chat cancer. If a player is actually taking the effort to count their 10 seconds, let go of their mic, and then continuing to micspam then I find that to be just sad lol.

I have no coding experience and very little plugin knowledge, but I swear I've seen similar if not identical stuff like this on other servers. I could try to look up any existing plugins when I have the time. I'm fine if the AT feels like their are other priorities for the server, just wanted to put the suggestion out there.

Edited by Kieran

I also think having a plugin where only a certain amount of people are allowed to speak would be useful. Makes it a lot easier to hear people speak.

Problem with this is that people who want to make a callout might not be able to if other people are talking about random shit. It isn't like we have a rule that says voice chat can only be used for round related purposes. Traitors might also try to hog up mic usage so innocents/detectives couldn't call out KOS's and such.

• Content Count:  1583

I think before we do anything to limit people's speech, we should do what we can to fix it first. While a server full of 30 people will tend to get loud, there's several things that contribute to it that need to be cut down on. There's three or so main things that cause excessive comm spam that need to be addressed. When someone shouts "IF I DIE IT'S ___", you need to let them know not to yell, and that you can't KOS off of that. When someone is singing, especially for extended periods of time, you need to warn/mute them. When people are yelling for no reason, you need to mute/warn them. I understand that the gamemode gets intense and sometimes people need to yell KOS's or yell for humor, but when people are yelling for extended periods of time, to mic spam, or yelling at each other, it obstructs comms and gameplay, and they should be muted/warned.

I understand that this is a decently impactful issue on the server, but I'd like to see the rules better enforced before we start restricting how much people are allowed to talk. The only reason I've seen people muted in the last week, was if they we're using a soundboard, or literally eating their mic. I understand wanting to automate the system, but let's deal with the rulebreakers before we punish everyone.

I understand rulebreakers need to be punished @Gentoo and this could be seen as a lazy way to not do the job myself (which wasn’t my intention). Obviously admins should be enforcing these rules and I always do my best to take appropriate action against them. This was more meant to target the players not breaking the rules but still adding to the cancer. A lot of times players just tend to talk and hog up the mic more than they necessarily need to. It would be cool if we could impose this restriction on alive players only so there is more of an emphasis on communication and less of “let’s just use our mic a bunch constantly and ruin the round for everyone trying to communicate and play the game”. When enough players just start talking and talking for a good amount of time it makes communicating impossible.

Not really trying to restrict anyone’s speech either. Who says you need to hold down your mic for 10 seconds to have a conversation with someone? I just don’t want people constantly holding down their mics which can drown out valuable information being called out. This wouldn’t solve the problem completely but hopefully it could contribute in some way.

Reply to Thread