? servers

? players online

Advice Sub-Forum

• Content Count:  1583

I feel that an advice sub-forum would be a useful addition to the forums. Not only would it clear some clutter and differentiate posts from Question's & Info, but it would also allow for other useful posts.

I feel that it would be very useful to allow players to ask for advice about things like making player complaints, etc., but most importantly, it would allow potential admin applicants to ask for advice before applying for admin. This would not only allow players to get specific advice from a broader range of players and members, but also give them a general sense of where they stand. This would also allow people to clear things like previous bans, patently false statements, and simple misunderstandings rather than having to address/defend them in their actual application.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  484

I feel that an advice sub-forum would be a useful addition to the forums. Not only would it clear some clutter and differentiate posts from Question's & Info, but it would also allow for other useful posts.

I feel that it would be very useful to allow players to ask for advice about things like making player complaints, etc., but most importantly, it would allow potential admin applicants to ask for advice before applying for admin. This would not only allow players to get specific advice from a broader range of players and members, but also give them a general sense of where they stand. This would also allow people to clear things like previous bans, patently false statements, and simple misunderstandings rather than having to address/defend them in their actual application.

This would actually be a really good idea because I remember when I was going to apply I was looking at the other applications for like some advice on how I should act if I want admin. Another reason why this would be a useful thing is for something like player complaints. Some people don't even know how to post a player complaint or how to record a demo to catch the rule-breaker (this kind of includes me, I have no idea how to record and access a demo after I've created it). These are just some of the useful things it could have in there. This could benefit so many people.

• Content Count:  2668

This would actually be a really good idea because I remember when I was going to apply I was looking at the other applications for like some advice on how I should act if I want admin. Another reason why this would be a useful thing is for something like player complaints. Some people don't even know how to post a player complaint or how to record a demo to catch the rule-breaker (this kind of includes me, I have no idea how to record and access a demo after I've created it). These are just some of the useful things it could have in there. This could benefit so many people.

We have stickied threads at the top of the sections which include important information. For the player complaint section, it includes how to record and submit player complaints using the 3 major programs (Plays.TV, Shadowplay, and Demos) with the demo guide being https://www.steam-gamers.net/forum/showthread.php?t=62834

• Like 1

• Content Count:  484

We have stickied threads at the top of the sections which include important information. For the player complaint section, it includes how to record and submit player complaints using the 3 major programs (Plays.TV, Shadowplay, and Demos) with the demo guide being https://www.steam-gamers.net/forum/showthread.php?t=62834

I thought it only explained how to use Plays.TV and Shadowplay (which both lag my game too much so I can't use them), not Demos. Why have I never seen this???? I'm stupid.

Also congrats on BD man :) I remember when you first got admin and I saw you on TTT and heard your voice for the first time. It made me a bit wet NGL. No homo tho.

• Like 1

Not to derail my own thread, but could this be made more in depth? While it covers the process in detail, I see many complaints rejected because there isn't enough rulebreaking or the player hasn't been sufficiently warned. I think it would be nice to have what constitutes a good complaint in the guide.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  1633

Isn’t one of the purposes of admin applications to help give advice/feedback to the player? If it wasn’t then we would just be writing support and reapply.

Edit before you reply - yeah yeah I get that you have to wait once getting your advice. I just think the whole point of the system is to get your feedback, prove you’ve used it over X amount of weeks/months, then reapply. I see no harm in adding this but at the same time I wouldn’t justify it with that one reason.

• Like 2
Edited by Kieran

Isn’t one of the purposes of admin applications to help give advice/feedback to the player? If it wasn’t then we would just be writing support and reapply.

Edit before you reply - yeah yeah I get that you have to wait once getting your advice. I just think the whole point of the system is to get your feedback, prove you’ve used it over X amount of weeks/months, then reapply. I see no harm in adding this but at the same time I wouldn’t justify it with that one reason.

I can see what you mean by this, and I do agree that this generally tends to be how things should work. However, responses to an app general have participation bias from people who do or do not want to see the applicant become admin. This would allow for a more general sense from people who may not have even had any indication that the person was applying.

Additionally, I see many applicants who more than mature enough to handle being an admin. They can be level headed and have a clear understanding of the rules, but may not get the whole point of "acting like an admin" to apply. 90% of the time that I "enforce" the rules, it doesn't really do anything. This being noted, I can see why non-admins wouldn't see a point in enforcing the rules. Additionally, people may not be actively making constructive forum posts simply because they'd rather leave it to people more knowledgeable. Someone in this boat could easily land a 3 month reapply, when all they really needed was someone to tell them to post and speak up more.

While this was my main thought behind the forum, it still has potential for things more mundane or simple, such as what mouse to get, or how to play CT better on JB.

• Like 2
Edited by Gentoo

More detailed guides are a work in progress atm. I think that while a sections like this could be beneficial overall; drama will tend to percolate from this section due to personal opinions clashing.

I'm going to have to agree with you on this. While a sticky could be made to discourage conflict, there is already people who take advice as a personal attack on apps, and other who use apps as a way to passive aggressively flame players. A sub forum for this could potentially deepen the issue as people would feel less of a need to be mature and professional in their posts. It seems drama is unavoidable at SG, but strict moderation could potentially negate this issue.

Reply to Thread