? servers

? players online

n word while singing

• Content Count:  484

How does that logic follow? If we're making an exception on one server to be "competitive" to the top servers, why wouldn't we then use that logic with the same excuse on the others? o.O

Because most surf servers allow racism and most people that join those servers say racial slurs. Surf used to not have any people on and now it has like 5+ people on around the afternoon. I think it's because of that exception.

• Content Count:  2668

How does that logic follow? If we're making an exception on one server to be "competitive" to the top servers, why wouldn't we then use that logic with the same excuse on the others? o.O

@Nano is on the right track. Some of the most popular, top ranked surf servers have an emphasis on rap battles, rapping, etc. We're trying out bringing the rap battles stuff to our surf server and with that, a good amount of rap songs use the word "nigga". It's not very fair to be doing a rap battle using a popular, mainstream song and get a ban for the word in it, so I decided to be lenient in order to make this work.

You'll still get punished if you use racism, but there is a difference between using it to greet your friends or doing a rap battle of a lil wayne song.

• Like 1

@Nano is on the right track. Some of the most popular, top ranked surf servers have an emphasis on rap battles, rapping, etc. We're trying out bringing the rap battles stuff to our surf server and with that, a good amount of rap songs use the word "nigga". It's not very fair to be doing a rap battle using a popular, mainstream song and get a ban for the word in it, so I decided to be lenient in order to make this work.

You'll still get punished if you use racism, but there is a difference between using it to greet your friends or doing a rap battle of a lil wayne song.

You just made me feel smart

Also, is the n-word with the "hard r" allowed while freestyling/rapping? I know quite a few songs that have the n word with "hard r". All of them are the rappers saying how people called them that a lot). Obviously if the song is blatantly racist then I get why that would be bannable but in a song like Take It Back by Logic, he raps about how people called him that and in that case I don't really think it should be a bannable offense but I could see how it could be. https://genius.com/Logic-take-it-back-lyrics (just press ctrl+f and search the n-word to find the part where it says it easily).

• Content Count:  697

I mean you are saying that we are allowed to play songs with a no no word but the second someone sings the song they are being racist and have to change the song just to avoid it, that is hypocritical in the sense something isn't racist until someone else sings it. It is the stupid non agruements surrounding the statement people make that "Black people are allowed to say it, but white people aren't", who is saying the word doesn't change it's meaning and if you are not going to allow the n word in singing then it shouldn't be allowed in songs.

I can understand some people abusing so why not just have it so abusing it isn't allowed, that way people can sing a song with out breaking a rule.

• Like 1
Edited by Lokibelowkey

• Content Count:  5674

I mean you are saying that we are allowed to play songs with a no no word but the second someone sings the song they are being racist and have to change the song just to avoid it, that is hypocritical in the sense something isn't racist until someone else sings it. It is the stupid non agruements surrounding the statement people make that "Black people are allowed to say it, but white people aren't", who is saying the word doesn't change it's meaning and if you are not going to allow the n word in singing then it shouldn't be allowed in songs.

I can understand some people abusing so why not just have it so abusing it isn't allowed, that way people can sing a song with out breaking a rule.

You're making arguments about the person saying it when that's not the logic behind disallowing it. I want to listen to a song, but it has the n word in it. I can't go in and edit the song real quick in order to listen to it, whereas I can easily avoid saying it myself. There's no logical reason that someone should be allowed to say the n word because it's in the song, but there's plenty of logic behind the fact that lots of songs have the n word in them and people want to listen to them anyways.

There's no way to determine if someone is "abusing" it so the best option is to just not allow it all.

Also @Gator something should probably be said in the official Surf rules thread about your change to compete with other servers. I think the logic behind it is somewhat sound but it would just make sense that it goes in the rules thread.

Edited by Dominic

• Content Count:  228

Bhop is one of those servers where people chill, and have fun, and that dosent usually happen on the other servers.

Edited by H4wKEye

• Content Count:  1633

You can't just change the lyrics in a song to make the use of the n-word offensive or racist; the context/meaning in the song will always stay the same. However, it is inevitable if we allowed this then EVENTUALLY someone would be singing along and just "mess up" the lyrics and just throw in a "I hate..." before the word or something stupid like that. There is just no need for this since it could easily be exploited and a lot of burdens will use it to skirt the racism rule.

Also, I agree with what Dominic said. You can just easily avoid saying it so it isn't really a problem.

Edited by Kieran

You can't just change the lyrics in a song to make the use of the n-word offensive or racist; the context/meaning in the song will always stay the same. However, it is inevitable if we allowed this then EVENTUALLY someone would be singing along and just "mess up" the lyrics and just throw in a "I hate..." before the word or something stupid like that. There is just no need for this since it could easily be exploited and a lot of burdens will use it to skirt the racism rule.

Also, I agree with what Dominic said. You can just easily avoid saying it so it isn't really a problem.

For some people it actually isn’t that easy cause if you’re having a good time and singing and not paying attention you may say it. It doesn’t make that person racist, I honestly think unless it’s a hard R or the person is just using the word because they wanna be toxic then it doesn’t really matter what they sing along to.

Reply to Thread