Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    leo
    SG Regular

Bolsonaro - The upcoming President/"Dictator" of the 9th richest country in the world

As many of you may know, a few months ago, Brazil elected its next president, Jair Bolsonaro. He will be in power at the start of 2019.
    Those who have kept up with this 'story' might have noticed that his views are extremely radical, saying things such as, "I would kill my son if he was gay." "we need to add the life sentence for thieves." "If it will cost the lives of 10 cops to get 1 thief out of the streets, it's worth it." (all of these were originally in Portuguese, obviously, but I translated them) Many see his statements as very similar to Donald Trumps' statements.
    For those who HAVE kept up with this story, what do you think will happen to Brazil in the upcoming month's/year? Will it really become a dictatorship (as many believe) or will it be the step that Brazil needs to get out of it's current state? Is dictatorship maybe what Brazil NEEDS to get back up?
    Please share your thoughts

2. The Following User Says Thank You to leo For This Useful Post:
    Cutesicle (12-30-2018)

Kieran
    Certified Gamer
    I forgot Donald Trump said he would kill his son if he’s gay

oh wait

Also, Brazil will probably end up becoming a shitshow like Venezuela.

leo
    SG Regular
    Damn those are some very harsh words. I never said Trump said he will kill his son, I said SOME of the claims that Bolsonaro makes are rebellious, just like Trumps claims were. Trumps boldness and rebelliousness was what got him elected (to some extent). The American people wanted someone different who would steer away from the 'norms' of presidency and do something bold.
    That claim of Brazil becoming a 'shitshow' like Venezuela is EXTREMELY illogical. Brazil isn't even close to becoming like Venezuela. Dictatorship isn't always bad. It rids the government of corruption. Although it might make the people suffer, its great for reform. For Brazil to become a 'shitshow' like Venezuela, it would need to have more gangs, gang wars, less money, production of drugs (which Brazil does not have, contrary to popular belief) and more impoverished people.

Please review your arguments before you make a stupid statement like that. @Kieran

Kieran
    Certified Gamer
    Lol, the Donald Trump statement was a joke. Sorry if you got offended.

Dictatorship, IN MY OPINION, is never a good thing. Like you said, it makes people suffer. Dictatorship can easily be abused, and I don't trust him to properly run the country with radical views that you claim he has.

stupid is a mean word

leo
    SG Regular
    @Kieran
    I didn't get offended by the statement.
    Brazil had a dictatorship some 30 years ago (don't know the exact year and it's not relevant for the discussion anyway) and it reformed Brazil completely. People suffered, people went 'missing', but it allowed for the government to be cleansed of corruption (which has arisen since the end of corruption). Dictatorship keeps people in line, diminishes poverty and increases employment rates. Overall, it brings positive results for the country as a whole, so that it doesn't become a 'shitshow like venezuela' as you said, but it does bring hardships for the people.

Kieran
    Certified Gamer
    Fair point @leo, but is it worth getting rid of some corruption for brutality, suffering, and radical views?

leo
    SG Regular
    @Kieran but the problem in Brazil is that corruption has gotten to the point where ALL government officials are corrupt, and it's not even a secret at this point. Corruption in Brazil is tearing the country apart. Taxpayers are giving to the pockets of government officials, not so that the money comes back to the in safe streets, clean roads or healthcare. If the corruption crisis in Brazil doesn't stop, the country will fall apart...
    I'm not saying I do or don't favor dictatorship, but it might be what is needed...

Enderspine
    Banned
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by leo View Post
    If the corruption crisis in Brazil doesn't stop, the country will fall apart...
    I'm not saying I do or don't favor dictatorship, but it might be what is needed...
    This is entirely outside of your conversation, more looking to see more into your views.

You live in FL, and you obviously have a more developed political view than some of us(myself specifically), and here you say that "dictatorship might be needed". I, myself, find this to be a huge statement to give, and want to ask, is there ever a time that you see the U.S. in need of a dictatorship? What are the parameters for "needing" a dictatorship?

leo
    SG Regular
    @Enderspine
    I say that it needs a dictatorship because of the state its in and because of the upsides that dictatorship brings to the development of a country.
    The US (arguably the most developed nation in the world) doesn't need dictatorship because the upsides of a dictatorship (lowered unemployment and reduced poverty) are already too low in the US. Poverty in the US is very low compared to the rest of the world and so is unemployment. In America if someone WANTS a job, they have one. In Brazil jobs are limited, and you often see people working 2-4 jobs because they get payed minimum wage there (927 Brazilian Reais, around 238 USD).
    When the US was filled with corruption (100-110 years ago), dictatorship could have been useful, but the American people were too involved in democracy, and any shift from that would be too radical. I feel like people see dictatorship as always negative when you look at Cuba or North Korea, but a successful dictatorship takes a country out of hardships and struggle and puts it in a position of thriving and in route to success.

Enderspine
    Banned
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by leo View Post
    @Enderspine
    I say that it needs a dictatorship because of the state its in and because of the upsides that dictatorship brings to the development of a country.
    The US (arguably the most developed nation in the world) doesn't need dictatorship because the upsides of a dictatorship (lowered unemployment and reduced poverty) are already too low in the US. Poverty in the US is very low compared to the rest of the world and so is unemployment. In America if someone WANTS a job, they have one. In Brazil jobs are limited, and you often see people working 2-4 jobs because they get payed minimum wage there (927 Brazilian Reais, around 238 USD).
    When the US was filled with corruption (100-110 years ago), dictatorship could have been useful, but the American people were too involved in democracy, and any shift from that would be too radical. I feel like people see dictatorship as always negative when you look at Cuba or North Korea, but a successful dictatorship takes a country out of hardships and struggle and puts it in a position of thriving and in route to success.
    two questions here:

a) if jobs are limited in Brazil, how does anyone have more than one?

b) is the dictatorship in North Korea doing well? I saw more than a few reports last year saying that the state of poverty was unchanged, despite the reports coming from the dictatorship...

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enderspine For This Useful Post:
    Butterfingers (12-30-2018), Soul (12-31-2018), Venom™ (12-30-2018)