? servers

? players online

The term oogabooga

• Content Count:  4441

This thread just feels like its inevitably going to devolve into what everyone thinks about specific words and what they perceive as racist or not. Obviously leaving this up to admin discretion will cause some issues here and there, and those cases will have to be dealt with at a higher up level of the community.

My personal opinion on this is that terms such as the one this thread was made about, being able to be used in a funny joking type style, or being able to used it in a racist, and offensive manner are a matter of your own risk. You can use the word, however in doing so you put the risk up for that word to be interpreted as racist and possibly be banned for it.

Just my thoughts about the topic without getting into my personal views on racism itself

Well the point of the thread is to get a solid answer at some point from a higher-up, but given it's a forum I don't see how people giving their opinion on it is devolving but just having a discussion lol. You should not have any chance to get banned for something falsely when you're following rules connected to it, there should not be a risk at all. I think that is probably one of the point of contention regarding the word regardless of what I think about the term directly as I already stated that in the OP.

• Content Count:  11501

There is very clearly a disconnect between what was actually posted in the CB and what is being narrated to have been posted. Bear with me cause on phone.

The final law of the land is that you cannot use any term to skirt around racism or (obviously) be racist. Ninja is not in any remote way racist - however going ‘what up my ninja?!’ Is very clearly trying to get around the word ‘nigga’. ‘Cracker’ has a racist meaning and a meaning for food - obviously You’re not going to be banned for saying ‘I’m eating some crackers’, but if you start calling people cracker, you’re probably going to get banned.

If you (meaning anyone in general; not a specific person) become the reason that we have to issue a ban on a word or even consult with issuing a ban on a word because you took what was allowed (IE choosing bits and pieces of my post and not the entirety), we are probably not going to be lenient. If you go on CB and say ‘you’re an ooga booga! It’s not racist rofl!’ And you are openly acknowledging the fact that what you are saying can be construed as racism and you are making light of that fact...yeah we’re probably not going to be cool with it. The irony is the amount of racism that gets overlooked in TS channels, yet people still feel the need to push that to the forums publicly.

Ooga booga May very well become a banned term. I think it’s incredibly frustrating that we have to take time to express ‘Don’t use shit in a racist way or even put your toe on the line’, and what happens is people try to turn that into a joke, and then they end up getting banned when it passes the line. I’ll get with the board and we’ll discuss if it should be a banned term or not. However, if it is deemed that you are using ANY word in the dictionary, urban dictionary, glossary of any sort, or any other word in existence - whether a real word or not- is a manner that is racist or intentionally trying to get around being racist, it will be handled as racism.

As a side note: in case all of you have not been able to tell from bans and demotions that have been issued, I’m personally not dealing with a lot of this BS drama. I will be very upfront with all of you and say that if you’re an asshole or cause general grief to myself / the board, you’re done when you cross that line that we deem. 90% of you won’t have to worry about this, but the people who are being dickheads, causing problems, making snide posts, false reporting posts, and in general causing drama - do not be surprised when we collect on that. Remember those forum rules that you agree to - the board has the final say in any and all aspects of the community. If you’re toxic, we will boot your ass out the door. No one is saying if you make a small mistake or disagree with someone that you’re gonna get permed - but think of it as a mass warning going out. It’s pretty sad that a few select people have caused us to get to this point, but i would very much advise all of you to not be complete dicks, and that is for any and all ranks, as I’m sure the public can tell.

• Like 14

Reply to Thread