? servers

? players online

Classical Music

• Content Count:  115

Hey y'all,

Been browsing through this forum and realised that there wasn't a thread for classical music.

It might be a genre that people think as boring or pretentious, but it's where music started and exposure to it is the first step to enjoying it.

There's so much detail in intonation, phrasing, and voicing that pulls at your heartstrings in a way other genres can't quite capture.

Here's a few popular pieces that I enjoy:

1. venetianisches gondellied (lieder ohne worte) - F. Mendelssohn (there's also the Venetian Boat song which is quite nice and popular)

2. all of Chopin's etudes (and waltzes if you're feeling frisky) I especially recommend the opus. 10 ones.

3. Hungarian Rhapsody - F. Liszt (This one's a classic. I think it's the one in Tom and Jerry too!)

4. Liebesleid and Liebestraum by Kreisler (Akiko Meyers does a banging job)

(there's way too many more to list!)

Here's also a list of 10 operas to watch/listen to before you die:

The Marriage of Figaro (a pure classic), La Boheme, Hansel and Gretel, Tristan and Isolde (this one's amazing), Susannah, Carmen, Dido and Aeneas, Ariadne Auf Naxos, Aida, and Madama Butterfly

I would love to have a discussion too!

Here's a controversial topic: The second Viennese School gave birth to one of the most significant improvements for modern music and Schoenberg is a master of both harmonic and atonal music. In contrast, John Cage is pure bullpoop and is the embodiment of what's wrong with modern art. >:3

• Content Count:  73

Hey y'all,

Been browsing through this forum and realised that there wasn't a thread for classical music.

It might be a genre that people think as boring or pretentious, but it's where music started and exposure to it is the first step to enjoying it.

There's so much detail in intonation, phrasing, and voicing that pulls at your heartstrings in a way other genres can't quite capture.

Here's a few popular pieces that I enjoy:

1. venetianisches gondellied (lieder ohne worte) - F. Mendelssohn (there's also the Venetian Boat song which is quite nice and popular)

2. all of Chopin's etudes (and waltzes if you're feeling frisky) I especially recommend the opus. 10 ones.

3. Hungarian Rhapsody - F. Liszt (This one's a classic. I think it's the one in Tom and Jerry too!)

4. Liebesleid and Liebestraum by Kreisler (Akiko Meyers does a banging job)

(there's way too many more to list!)

Here's also a list of 10 operas to watch/listen to before you die:

The Marriage of Figaro (a pure classic), La Boheme, Hansel and Gretel, Tristan and Isolde (this one's amazing), Susannah, Carmen, Dido and Aeneas, Ariadne Auf Naxos, Aida, and Madama Butterfly

I would love to have a discussion too!

Here's a controversial topic: The second Viennese School gave birth to one of the most significant improvements for modern music and Schoenberg is a master of both harmonic and atonal music. In contrast, John Cage is pure bullpoop and is the embodiment of what's wrong with modern art. >:3

I didn't do too much history but we did alot of theory specifically over Dances of Galanta, based on Hungarian Rhapsody. I get flashbacks whenever I hear the ezstam or the tsardas theme nowadays.

I enjoy classical plenty, but I enjoy a touch of modern software in the mix as displayed by the soundtracks made for Hollow Knight by Christopher Larkin

This is currently my all time favorite:

If you have the time, I'd recommend listening to both the DLC playlist and the original OST

Liebesleid was actually one of the songs we played in our advanced orchestra.

Probably my favorite classical that we played in our orchestra is tchaikovsky.

fuKcING tChaIkOvSky

he gives me nightmares for group orchestra, but nothing gives me more grief than paganini

• Content Count:  115

Liebesleid was actually one of the songs we played in our advanced orchestra.

Probably my favorite classical that we played in our orchestra is tchaikovsky.

I'm (was) a pianist by trade (Royal College of Music uwu) so I can't really relate to y'alls but everything Tchaikovsky is so freakin' beautiful.

Ravel's orchestral works are a real piece of work and they're my favorite(s) [especially La Valse].

This is currently my all time favorite:

Played through Hollow Knight when it first came out and I just freakin love the aesthetic and atmosphere.

I gotta play through the DLCs now that I've heard this >:3

• Content Count:  73

I'm (was) a pianist by trade (Royal College of Music uwu) so I can't really relate to y'alls but everything Tchaikovsky is so freakin' beautiful.

Ravel's orchestral works are a real piece of work and they're my favorite(s) [especially La Valse].

Played through Hollow Knight when it first came out and I just freakin love the aesthetic and atmosphere.

I gotta play through the DLCs now that I've heard this >:3

Tchaikovsky was a nightmare simply because of the group aspect for our orchestra. Individually, most of us were fine, but it was a highschool orchestra, so there were unfortunately some weaker links.

And yes, Hollow Knight has received 2 DLC's since then, both of which outdo the prior installment in both ingenuity and difficulty. The same can be said with Larkin's new music for each.

Reply to Thread