? servers

? players online

Jailbreak Mapping Contest

• Content Count:  4441

f58gHAq.png

We've been running Jailbreak at Steam-Gamers for 10 years now, with that 10 year mark in mind we're going to be running our very own Jailbreak mapping contest.

If you want to add money or a prize to the pot, please message me here.

Will add contributors here aswell as update the graphic unless you want to stay incognito.

wIZDnja.png

Date will be extended if need be.

Here is vtf and vmt for the banner, special thank you to @Clamor.

ufbnhCh.png

For Mappers

This contest isn't asking for a massive map with a ton of deathgames, perfectly themed, or for the care some of the maps nowadays take which drag creation into months. Our server loves the old simple maps, maps that allow them to use secrets and go nuts in some kind of deathmatch.

Feel free to treat this as more of a challenge, one for expert mappers and newbies alike to have the chance to participate in. This isn't to say if you create us some super creative map with a ton of time put in that you won't win, in fact it will probably increase your chances. We also fully encourage people from inside or outside the community to participate.

When you're done with your map simply post it here, with a download link (workshop, gamebanana, filedropper). Feel free to keep us updated in this thread or use our works in progress section. At the end of the contest there will be a separate thread were the maps will be judged and showcased, more information on that below.

How scoring will be done

We will be picking winners by using the opinion of the community. For this I decided that people can "apply" to be a judge, these judges (if accepted) will basically go on a list and at the end of it all you will fill out the Rubric for the maps that were submitted, provide your opinion and a winner will be decided upon by adding up all the numbers.

If you'd like to be a judge please private message me either on Steam or the Forums. We're generally looking for people well-versed with our Jailbreak server or have previous experience with mapping in the past. We hope this community involvement in the contest lets us get submissions that are truly unique to our server. With that being said I fully encourage taking inspiration from our server itself and maybe even take community input on certain aspects from the mappers.

We've can't wait to see the final results and are excited to be running this for all of you!

If you have any questions do not hesitate to ask either here or add me on steam.

Steam-Gamers Jailbreak Team

dPr423u.png

• Like 6
Edited by All Ts

Decided gonna work on my first real JB map from like 8 months ago for this. I will not take any actual placement or ranking, nor accept prizes. Simply will just be rated by judges and used to create a bit of sense of competition here and promote the community. If you're working on a map for the contest try to post here, interested to see who's looking to participate.

Also

A question for JB regulars.

-

What do you like most in a map for our server?

• Like 1

Here we go, 24 hours project.

jb_plainsight

Thank you @Darnias! This is super cool, this is pretty much exactly the kind of thing I wanted.

Don't want to spoil it for anyone, but I went through and managed to find these and more.

• Random spawning cell pistols
  • Vent in big cage
  • Secret cell block ladder
  • Scout on top of cells
  • Pistol outside cell block vent
  • Disco Teleport
  • Top of big cage pistol
  • Way to get on top of armory with the boxes
  • Invisible block to get up to the AWP in maincell
  • Glock in disco, no idea how to actually get to it
  • MP7 somewhere in Dodgeball
  • Many others I haven't figured out how to work.
  • Other randomly spawning pistols(?)

Pros:

I really like the Disco and world text buttons you have on your maps, the different vents are really creative. I like how each part of the map is sectioned off with the portals but I don't necessarily know how that will fit into map balance if the CT's have to facecheck a lot of the time. I like how the cell doors aren't just a simple texture that pulls away and is styled in a way that fits the vents. I'm not a giant fan of the gray on gray texturing, but for something made in such a short time it has a nice look to it. I really enjoyed that a lot of the secrets you have on here aren't all hard to find, but there are ones that can peak some peoples interest if they want to have that extra edge. I really like the skybox you used no matter how simplistic it looks, it's really nice to look at. The options for soccer where you can kick/knife the ball is pretty damn cool and the scoreboards are really nice. The simple fact that the pool has a shallow end just makes it so much nicer, and I like the water texture you used.

Cons:

I think you could of fit one or two more teleporters in obscure areas and make some kind of catwalk or platforms for CT's, for that reason along with the doorways design, the pistols, the vents and it being really close quarters I can see this being pretty T-sided. The giant tree feels out of place in my opinion for such a small maincell it makes it a little too cramped and creates a pretty massive shadow across the entire thing. The banner you used isn't the one that we created for the contest (I don't even mind the inclusion of the gamebanana one). Some of the vents take a little too long to break, while others such as the one in the bottom right cell would make perfect sense to take awhile to chip through. I don't think the games in compliment our server too well and with the portals for the doorways it might give people on T side a long time to teamkill eachother with.

I'm excited to see you do work on this map in the future, and obviously if you want to change anything before the deadline in the next month or so feel free. All in all, really appreciate the entry- I'm going to add the map to the server rotation because I personally like it a lot. Can't wait to see what people judge the map on when the contest wraps up. Thanks again. :thumb:

• Like 1

• Content Count:  916

Cons:

The giant tree feels out of place in my opinion for such a small maincell it makes it a little too cramped and creates a pretty massive shadow across the entire thing.

The giant tree is exactly there just for the shadow for aesthetic reasons.

The banner you used isn't the one that we created for the contest (I don't even mind the inclusion of the gamebanana one).

I made my own one, because I didn't really like the one you guys provided if this is an issue I can go back and use the old one though it is very ugly and the gamebanana one is there because I put it there too lmao.

Some of the vents take a little too long to break, while others such as the one in the bottom right cell would make perfect sense to take awhile to chip through.

Because the cell area is so small and armory so close I feel like escaping Ts have no chance of going out before CTs arrive there hence why the vent has so little HP while on the other hand there can be multiple Ts knifing the pool/big cage vent.

I don't think the games in compliment our server too well and with the portals for the doorways it might give people on T side a long time to teamkill eachother with.

There's area portals in doorways to stop other areas rendering through the walls. I might change the transitioning to something more linear later on.

I will keep that map as it is for now, since it was a 24hr project it is supposed to be very basic and doesn't deserve any praise.

As for the map updates, I might use this as base template and update the map based on feedback later on after contest ends.

Reply to Thread