? servers

? players online

Need help - looking to start working out

• Content Count:  4441

Everything in this post is exactly what I would have said. To add: encouraging a 14 year old to take supplements is the dumbest thing I have ever seen in my life. Your body is undergoing so many changes right now that you should stay so far away from any type of supplement. Especially without having a full physical done and whatnot, and getting a doctor recommendation on specific supplements (which I seriously doubt a doctor would advise a 14 year old to take almost any type of supplement unless there was a medical reason). Your body just has waaaaay too much going on right now.

As far as lifting and eating - literally everything Gator said. Full body workout three days a week and don’t eat like shit. There’s absolutely zero need to complicate it when you’re just starting out. Commit to doing that for a few months and then come back and ask for more advice - imo.

I mean, taking creatine and preworkouts I agree. What is possibly wrong with taking someone taking whey protein though? lol

• Content Count:  11501

I mean, taking creatine and preworkouts I agree. What is possibly wrong with taking someone taking whey protein though? lol

It’s not that he’s going to die taking whey, but he probably can’t even describe why he’d take whey (without googling it). He isn’t in a workout program yet, probably has no idea how to count macros, and can get all the protein he needs via a standard diet. It’s a complete waste of money imo at his age without having any incorporated knowledge or workout plan to back up the actual need for whey (assuming there’s no medical need for whey).

It’s not that he’s going to die taking whey, but he probably can’t even describe why he’d take whey (without googling it). He isn’t in a workout program yet, probably has no idea how to count macros, and can get all the protein he needs via a standard diet. It’s a complete waste of money imo at his age without having any incorporated knowledge or workout plan to back up the actual need for whey (assuming there’s no medical need for whey).

I would argue the opposite since it helps people who aren't necessarily eating perfectly to a tee. Counting macros by reading shit, knowing protein helps your muscles and doing some research isn't all that hard either. To each their own though.

• Content Count:  11501

I would argue the opposite since it helps people who aren't necessarily eating perfectly to a tee. Counting macros by reading shit, knowing protein helps your muscles and doing some research isn't all that hard either. To each their own though.

I don’t understand your logic. Whey should not be encouraged as a ‘I’m not eating perfectly, let me take some whey’ type of deal. Whey spikes the shit out of your insulin levels and too much of it converts amino acids into sugar and some into glucose. There is literally no reason for a 14 year old who has probably no idea how this stuff works (and has very little real-world grasp yet due to just getting interested in lifting) to take whey over eating a normal, healthy meal.

• Content Count:  796

@Ray, my geniune best advice coming from someone your age is to 1. stay the fuck away from supplements and dieting/cutting weight, you say you're lean and you need fuel if you ever plan on gaining muscle mass, like someone above me said, meat and proteins will make you gain muscle more than Doritos 2. If you haven't worked out before, start with body weight exercises, pushups, situps, pullups(if you can), and any other exercise you can think of, and lastly 3. play a sport, football is great for working out, my highschool has an on and off season weightroom, before and after school whichever you prefer, your school may be different but you're probably an incoming freshman, as am I, and I gained tons of muscle mass, just from starting highschool football.

Good luck gaining muscle mass, starting to work out feels like you overcame an addiction of fattness.

• Content Count:  2668

Same reason that 90% of whey consumers don't need to be taking it. It's called a supplement for a reason. Unless you are deficient or have a doctor tell you to take it, you don't need it. You should try to fit everything in your diet before you consider supplements.

• Like 1

Same reason that 90% of whey consumers don't need to be taking it. It's called a supplement for a reason. Unless you are deficient or have a doctor tell you to take it, you don't need it. You should try to fit everything in your diet before you consider supplements.

For someone who is 14, for someone who is not cooking their own meals, who is going to school, is new to the whole realm of working out and realizing your personal nutrition I think using Whey is fine as a buffer. It's cost effective, time efficient, convenient, it works well and especially when you're taking a bulk into account.

I understand that it is a supplement (I'm not saying to substitute real food). I really am not into the taking a shake at x time, then x time everyday or shit like preworkout, bcaas, test boosters but to say there is something really inherently wrong with whey protein seems like a hell of a supplement to pick out of the crowd of them.

• Content Count:  113

For someone who is 14, for someone who is not cooking their own meals, who is going to school, is new to the whole realm of working out and realizing your personal nutrition I think using Whey is fine as a buffer. It's cost effective, time efficient, convenient, it works well and especially when you're taking a bulk into account.

I honestly couldn't disagree more. Last year I took a class that was focused mostly on supplements, and how to handle a situation with a young athlete coming to me, as an AT, looking for supplement advice. Someone his age should NOT be talking any supplements. At this point he probably doesn't understand bulking to its full extent and what it really looks like, nor will he fully understand supplements. He should be focusing on building his foundation and getting a solid start before he even thinks about bulking, protein, or heavy lifting.

Living at home and going to school is probably the best thing for him, I cannot speak knowledgeably because I do not know him personally, but most freshmen in high school are getting what they need from school lunch and home. Messing with your "personal nutrition" at that age and testing stuff out that isn't natural is a good way to fuck up your body because it is still growing and developing. It's also not hard to make small dietary changes while living at home, the smallest change (like eliminating soda) makes a huge impact.

A lot of the advise on here is solid, just listen to what your body is telling you and do what makes you feel most comfortable.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  353

I havent read what people have said but I am going to be honest based on your initial post:

If you start lifting weights at 14 it will harm your growth and body; specifically your potential to get taller. If I were you I would focus on eating more and working out without the gym (ie. pushups, situps, pullups, squats, lunges, etc) until you were at least 16. 70% of working out and muscle development is diet and sticking to it. If you want to gain healthy weight start off with eating more (and semi-healthy) foods while working out outside of the gym. Examine your current diet and add 500 more calories a day to it (this means basically .75 of a 800 calorie meal). Alternatively you could add a protein shake before bed with 1 Tbsp of olive oil and milk and that would almost do the trick. Theoretically that would give you almost 1 lb of weight gain per week. You could also add some yogurt or cottage cheese to your diet before you go to sleep at night (but that would be about 300 calories). Another easy snack is nuts (900 calories per cup). You could eat half a cup of nuts a day and hit 450 EASY.

PS: You do not need to workout every day. Working out 3 days a week is plenty when you are bulking. You also want to make sure you are doing light cardio once a week (playing a sport for a few hours).

PSS: Stay away from preworkouts and supplements at your current age.

Reply to Thread