? servers

? players online

Need help - looking to start working out

• Content Count:  416

Hi,

Over the past few months I've been looking to start building my muscle and body up in general. Over summer, I was lazy and never got around to it . Since school is starting I thought since I already have to be productive that it's a good time to create a workout routine that I could use. I'm pretty skinny (14yo, 120lb between 5'6" and 5'7"), and I don't really know how or what to eat if I wanted to become healthy. There is a gym I can go to on my school campus after school so equipment isn't a problem for me. From the light research/browsing I've done online, I should start with stretching and then go into working out of all my body equally (dont flame me if this shit is wrong). To be honest, I don't know anything really about weights/how to workout all of my body equally so if anyone could help me, please do. Thanks.

• Content Count:  1403

You don’t want to overdue it, you are still young. Your body is still developing. However my work out consists of Chest/Bicep Mon/Wed/Fri; Back/Tricep Tues/Thur; Finally end the workout week with Legs Saturday. I also do cardio at the end of every workout as a cool down. I can’t really give advice on specific workouts because I’m not an expert but what I can tell you is you don’t want to just work your entire body in one day. You want to make sure you have days your muscles can rest so try spacing out specific muscles for different days.

If you want to get more lean muscles do less weight but more reps; If you want bigger muscles do more weight and less reps.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  1920

Hi,

Over the past few months I've been looking to start building my muscle and body up in general. Over summer, I was lazy and never got around to it . Since school is starting I thought since I already have to be productive that it's a good time to create a workout routine that I could use. I'm pretty skinny (14yo, 120lb between 5'6" and 5'7"), and I don't really know how or what to eat if I wanted to become healthy. There is a gym I can go to on my school campus after school so equipment isn't a problem for me. From the light research/browsing I've done online, I should start with stretching and then go into working out of all my body equally (dont flame me if this shit is wrong). To be honest, I don't know anything really about weights/how to workout all of my body equally so if anyone could help me, please do. Thanks.

For you, you're looking to bulk. Eat lots of healthy foods that are high calorie and nutrient-dense. Use protein powder. Go to a local GNC and tell them what you're looking to do and make sure it's low in sugar and doesn't have any artificial sweeteners (Sucralose, Saccharin, Neotame, Aspartame, Acesulfame Potassium), and doesn't have any weird chemicals. Be sure to just look up a basic workout routine that has basic lifts that are safe and easy for beginners.

Here are some good food and drink to consume while bulking and trying to gain mass and muscle:

- Red Meats

- Milk

- Rice

- Nuts

- Potatoes and other starches (corn, quinoa, oats)

- Salmon and other oily fish

- Protein Power (you mix with milk)

- Dried fruits

- Avocado

- Whole-grain bread (easier to digest than white bread)

- Cereal

- Dark Chocolate

- Cheeses

- Whole eggs

- Yogurt

- Use extra virgin olive oil when cooking.

- Chicken

- Granola Bars

- Lots of vegetables

One big tip for being in the gym- DON'T BE INTIMIDATED BY OTHER PEOPLE, stick to your own plan and don't compare yourself to other people or overdo yourself to match someone else.

Best of luck, if you have any questions feel free to PM me or add my steam.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  713

If you want to start working out don't slack off because than it will suck if you go back again. STAY committed!! You can try calisthenics thats a good start or you can do 50-100 pushups a day to build your chest. Once that gets a bit too easy for you try going to the gym and test whats the heaviest weight you can do. And dont skip leg day

• Like 1

• Content Count:  2668

I’m not an expert but what I can tell you is you don’t want to just work your entire body in one day. You want to make sure you have days your muscles can rest so try spacing out specific muscles for different days.

Clearly you're not an expert. There isn't a reason for him to not do a whole body workout. Unless you're training a specific muscle group for a specific reason, you're not maximizing your potential. Your body recovers much faster than you think as well. Not trying to shit on you, but you can be getting a lot better results, much faster.

--------

@Ray I'd recommend just doing a 3/wk whole body workout as a beginner. Don't need to do anything fancy, honestly just do 5x5 SS https://stronglifts.com/5x5/#Quick_Overview . Your body is adjusting to resistance training and you're young. Once you get stronger, older, and more advanced, you can move into the intermediate lifting routines. Until then, master the basics and you'll thank yourself in the future.

As for food, don't eat like shit and you'll be okay. Don't eat McD every day, but don't kys just because you though about a big mac. You can't even afford to buy or cook the kinds of food you'll see people recommend. Take advantage of what you control such as opting for water instead of soda, getting 1 plate and not 2 or 3, or getting single burger instead of that 5lb 2,500 cal heart attack in a bun.

• Like 2
Edited by Gator

• Content Count:  4441

I've written these posts in other threads, basically just start counting your calories, protein, carbs etc follow some workout regiments and get more active if you're a starter. Getting more active is probably the most important part mentally and physically it's just great conditioning. Getting through that first 3 months and still keeping with it is where most people fail miserably and never workout again- if you can get past that in my opinion you would have improved your life for the mid-term to long-term future. If you're going to start working out I would suggest you hit certain parts of your body a day, however you want to do that. This means getting a gym membership, doing calisthenics, or even just getting some beginner shit for home like dumbbells, maybe a pull-up bar or some hippy resistance bands. Whatever you do just make sure you know the difference between pushing yourself too far and actually making progress. A day where you go to the gym and vomit coming out at least you made the effort to better yourself.

Protein powder is useful but I have to say that you should be careful taking supplements as not only are they a scam but a lot of them are the worst unregulated bullshit ever. This goes from anything to way overpriced shit that you can buy for 5.00 online at the same quality to just shit that isn't healthy at all. Just today I tried a new preworkout and actually had probably the worst anxiety and jitters for 3 hours straight. There are studies that even show realistic doses of Creatine can contribute to hair loss in people who are predisposed. Get your basic run of the mill mass gainer or whey protein powder, some chocolate bullshit you can drink with milk or water. If you don't have a blender or magic bullet type-thing you can just straight shake it in a shaker but blending it makes it taste & go down easier in my opinion.

You don't have to eat super lean or starve yourself when you're working out, not everyone should be losing weight or be on some weird fucking retard diet. That isn't to say your diet should consist of strictly pizza and cheese puffs, its to say that you need to have. Learning to know how much you're eating is probably a good skill to learn and eventually you'll probably just say fuck it and know most of what you're roughly putting in your body. Am tired someone else will probably say something I missed, Caution is a really good person to talk to. Get on a healthy regiment and stick to it in a tldr.

• Content Count:  11501

Clearly you're not an expert. There isn't a reason for him to not do a whole body workout. Unless you're training a specific muscle group for a specific reason, you're not maximizing your potential. Your body recovers much faster than you think as well. Not trying to shit on you, but you can be getting a lot better results, much faster.

--------

@Ray I'd recommend just doing a 3/wk whole body workout as a beginner. Don't need to do anything fancy, honestly just do 5x5 SS https://stronglifts.com/5x5/#Quick_Overview . Your body is adjusting to resistance training and you're young. Once you get stronger, older, and more advanced, you can move into the intermediate lifting routines. Until then, master the basics and you'll thank yourself in the future. The shittiest lif

As for food, don't eat like shit and you'll be okay. Don't eat McD every day, but don't kys just because you though about a big mac. You can't even afford to buy or cook the kinds of food you'll see people recommend. Take advantage of what you control such as opting for water instead of soda, getting 1 plate and not 2 or 3, or getting single burger instead of that 5lb 2,500 cal heart attack in a bun.

Everything in this post is exactly what I would have said. To add: encouraging a 14 year old to take supplements is the dumbest thing I have ever seen in my life. Your body is undergoing so many changes right now that you should stay so far away from any type of supplement. Especially without having a full physical done and whatnot, and getting a doctor recommendation on specific supplements (which I seriously doubt a doctor would advise a 14 year old to take almost any type of supplement unless there was a medical reason). Your body just has waaaaay too much going on right now.

As far as lifting and eating - literally everything Gator said. Full body workout three days a week and don’t eat like shit. There’s absolutely zero need to complicate it when you’re just starting out. Commit to doing that for a few months and then come back and ask for more advice - imo.

• Like 1

Reply to Thread