? servers

? players online

At-Home Training

• Content Count:  2187

So I started taking fitness a little more seriously nowadays and I'm looking to improve.

Currently I'm using an app that establishes training plans based on which area of the body I want to buff up. However, I'd like to get any advice that you all have that could potentially further my training.

I'm focusing on chest and arm training and am using my dumbells to add a challenge. I like getting a balance of everything so I'm throwing in some ab workouts as well. There's options for shoulder and back too. I'm not really worried about that, but it'd be good to have it nonetheless.

I'm also using my bike as a means of leg training since it's my go-to mode of transportation for work, so if you have any advice on that, please feel free to post about it. I might make another thread for that if I need to.

Edit: You can post anything about pre- and post-workout as well.

Edited by Frostbitten

• Content Count:  4441

So I started taking fitness a little more seriously nowadays and I'm looking to improve.

Currently I'm using an app that establishes training plans based on which area of the body I want to buff up. However, I'd like to get any advice that you all have that could potentially further my training.

I'm focusing on chest and arm training and am using my dumbells to add a challenge. I like getting a balance of everything so I'm throwing in some ab workouts as well. There's options for shoulder and back too. I'm not really worried about that, but it'd be good to have it nonetheless.

Working on your entire body and then a little bit extra on the parts you wanna buff up is better than only doing arms & chest as it will make you look kinda disproportionate if you're just doing curls and benching everyday lol. You should follow some sort of day to day basis of "I'll work this out" and "I"ll work this out". That way you can just dedicate extra towards whatever you feel you're lacking in, there are a million ways to do this but I suggest just googling a whole bunch and find what is most comfortable for you. Some people workout a few times a week, some people workout almost every of the week.

I'm also using my bike as a means of leg training since it's my go-to mode of transportation for work, so if you have any advice on that, please feel free to post about it. I might make another thread for that if I need to.

Your bike isn't gonna buff you up the way you want to, do squats, legpress, deadlift, lunges, leg externsion/curls, calf raises if you wanna gain strength in legs, bikes are better for endurance training but aren't going to do much for real improvement. A lot of these can be done at home in some variation or another, though getting a gym membership is probably worthwhile if you have the time/money to start taking it a bit more seriously. You'll know what working your legs out properly means when you can't sit properly and you walk like a retard. It gets a lot easier after the first times.

Besides that make sure you're eating enough to actually make the difference, and that what you're eating isn't complete trash. If it means you having to drink a few shakes to or miserably eating bland chicken breast you gotta do it if you wanna see the difference actually manifest. Pre-workout and Creatine are both useful supplements if you want your body to push out those last few reps, recommend not going nuts with Pre-workout at first though cause it can make you wanna shit your brains out, puke, or feel really anxious. I've taken C4 Ultimate and Nitraflex which worked well for me, and both of them taste pretty good.

@Caution can also help you cause he loves this shit, but you'll probably need to give a bit more info.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  1438

I'm by no means an expert, but I can give some input on my end.

I find that it helps to do cardio before and after any weight training; if you're doing it before it helps get your heart rate up, and if you're doing it after it acts as a cooldown.

If you're looking to bulk up, I would train your body everywhere, not just certain areas. You don't wanna look like a dorito. If possible I would find workouts for your legs, aside from your biking, as well as shoulders/back.

For your weight training, I would change up your weights and reps, ie heavier weights with lower reps and lighter weights with more reps. You're gonna wanna go until you're tired.

I would stock up on protein if you're wanting to bulk up. Protein is your best friend. Diet is also super important, you're not gonna see any changes if you're just eating junk.

Obviously these are just my suggestions and it may not work the best for you, take it as you see fit xd I'll also add onto this when I get home with some exercise suggestions for you

edit: everything that All Ts said yes

• Like 1

• Content Count:  1403

I know from experience if you rely on protein powder/shakes and weight gainers, the moment you start to cut back on it and get lazy with your workouts. you will go right back to where you started.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  11501

First and foremost, there’s a bajillion different pieces of advice people will give you - at the end of the day you have to do what works for you. Some of it is scientifically-based, and others are not. Nutrition is such a new science that there are new discoveries made all the time. I’d recommend making slight changes to your workout plan every three weeks so you can accurately monitor changes and see what works and doesn’t work. If you tack on 5 different changes and see results, you’ll have no idea if one, two, or all of the changes are helping you (or any possible combination).

I got decently big doing nothing but dumbbells (not by choice, I just didn’t have any other equipment at the time. I bulked up to about 225lbs at my max, but I was intaking about 5000-8000 calories a day. I hover at about 185lbs right now, and I prefer it more tbh. I look a lot cleaner, feel a lot better, and it’s a big confidence booster because I’ve never really had a six pack before I dropped down to my current weight. I work out typically every single day, but I revolve muscle groups so each group gets about 4 days off before fibers are again being torn again. Low weight high rep does next to nothing for me - I lost strength and did not lose fat (if low weight high rep = fat burner, every teenage boy would have cut as fuck forearms). If I want to build endurance more, I do medium weigh medium rep. But that’s just what works for me. You may experience better results doing something different.

As far as working out one muscle group more than the other, it’s dumb as fuck 80% of the time. The remaining 20% is okay in a few situations. Genetically, I have a big chest and my arms are normal. I would work out my arms slightly harder than my chest to start evening things out. Once appearance evened out, I started evening out my workouts. If you’re trying to do a particular exercise better, IE get a higher bench press, then yes you should bench more often. I’m currently trying to get back into doing 20 dead hang pull ups (not that gay ass CrossFit shit you see with people kipping and swinging their way to a pull-up) and finish off with one one-handed pull-up. It’s extremely difficult, but in order to get to that point I need to do more pull-ups and focus on back, shoulder, and hand (grip) strength the most right now. I wouldn’t recommend having more than one active goal in a particular workout, because it pulls too much focus away from the general aspect of working out. The last situation where it’s okay is your legs. Work. Out. Your. Legs. I don’t mean biking (although that’s great, don’t get me wrong), I mean legitimate protein synthesis. You release testosterone when you work out, and your legs are a gigantic muscle group. Work them out harder than any other body part, in my honest opinion - but also in an intelligent way so it’s not ridiculously disproportionate.

If you’re just getting into fitness I wouldn’t even worry about developing plans and whatnot yet. Getting into the gym is the biggest obstacle. You can walk into a gym and throw weights around like a fucking idiot (as long as you’re not hurting yourself) for the first few weeks and still benefit yourself because you’re doing shit that your body is not used to. Then slowly, over time, start developing plans and making subtle changes. Also, if you rely on carbohydrates for energy, do cardio after you lift. Lifting burns the storage of glucose in the liver, so when you switch to burning fat, it will be on the shit that will burn it quicker (assuming you go hard af on cardio).

Just my opinion, take away from it whatever you want. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Good luck, welcome to the life.

• Like 2
Edited by Caution

Reply to Thread